Startling Star statistic

I am not really Startled by this.  Get off your Starship and Stop Stargazing and lets start by looking at the defense as a whole, they were 2nd, this guy played 46% of the snaps, he must have done something well?   Or maybe he is the weak link, not sure.  He did not have a lot of stats but in Stark contrast the bills defense did.  Sometimes I think people Stare at stats too much.  I dont think he is destined for Stardom though, he is just kind of a space eater.

4 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I don't think anyone is saying having Star or some good DT is a bad thing! Just that in a salary cap sport, overpaying for a player is not a good deal for the team overall.

Every team is overpaying someone.  It's only a problem if in total you're overpaying too much.  The Bills have only one or two overpaid players, so they don't have a problem.  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Every team is overpaying someone.  It's only a problem if in total you're overpaying too much.  The Bills have only one or two overpaid players, so they don't have a problem.  

Because they don’t have a lot of good players.  But you also need to be forward thinking.

most likely, when young guys are going to be up for big contracts, Star won’t be around.  But it’s not an excuse to get sloppy with money now.  And I think there are certain positions you should over pay for like o line, pass rusher, etc.  imo, run stuffing DT is not one of those.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because they don’t have a lot of good players.  But you also need to be forward thinking.

most likely, when young guys are going to be up for big contracts, Star won’t be around.  But it’s not an excuse to get sloppy with money now.  And I think there are certain positions you should over pay for like o line, pass rusher, etc.  imo, run stuffing DT is not one of those.

I agree you never want to overpay, and Beane has been pretty clear he is not going to go on a spending spree.  

And yes, it's because the Bills don't have a lot of good players.  

But none of that means they got sloppy when they signed Star.  I don't know what his market value was, and I doubt anyone on this board knows either.  The only people who know his market value are his agent and a few GMs.   His agent did his analysis, came up with a number, floated it with GMs and found of his number was a good number or too high.   Maybe the Bills were the only team willing to pay what the Bills offered.  I don't know. 

Beyond that, there still is no evidence that either the Bills or anyone else in the NFL thinks the Bills overpaid.  The Bills know if they got what they expected and wanted, and if they got what they wanted, they're happy if they overpaid.   (By the way, I never heard any fans complain when the Pegulas overpaid for the Bills.   They decided what they wanted and they were willing to pay a price that no one else was willing to pay.  They overpaid and you'd have to ask them if they're okay with that.)  

The part we fans can understand is this:  whether the Bills overpaid or not, in the current cap situation, and given that the Bills' serious compensation pressure won't hit for a couple of years, and given Beane's conservative approach to free agency, Star's contract simply is not a problem.  

On 1/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, SWATeam said:

I don't really agree.  

I love what the Ravens do with Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce.  Beef up the middle makes everything else easier, IMO. 

This reminds me of what Ray Lewis said about his play. When the Ravens had big DT’s eating lineman Ray was able to be great. Look at the years without Saragusa(sp) and then Nata. 

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This reminds me of what Ray Lewis said about his play. When the Ravens had big DT’s eating lineman Ray was able to be great. Look at the years without Saragusa(sp) and then Nata. 

You know, I hadn't put 2 and 2 together before, but especially during the first three quarters of the season, I was pretty critical of Edmunds because the Bills were giving up a lot of yards up the middle and often it was because Edmunds was in the wrong gap, was caught in wash, had taken a bad angle.  It may very well have been the case that Star was doing his job and Edmunds wasn't.  I don't know.  

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I hadn't put 2 and 2 together before, but especially during the first three quarters of the season, I was pretty critical of Edmunds because the Bills were giving up a lot of yards up the middle and often it was because Edmunds was in the wrong gap, was caught in wash, had taken a bad angle.  It may very well have been the case that Star was doing his job and Edmunds wasn't.  I don't know.  

If his coaches and teammates say he is doing a good job, I think that’s worth listening to more than Bill From Batavia. 

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If his coaches and teammates say he is doing a good job, I think that’s worth listening to more than Bill From Batavia. 

Agreed. 

I enjoy talking about this stuff as much as anyone, but I have a healthy respect for all the things I don't know about the game.  The coaches and players are LIVING this stuff every day.  

What's funny is that we all watch and THINK we understand what's going on on the field.   I think what I and most people understand is pretty superficial. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, CommonCents said:

He is a dinosaur playing in the new NFL. Bring in Star? Audible to a pass, Oh Star is on the sideline? Let’s rack up some rushing yards.

Paying a one dimensional guy that much never made sense.

This is my biggest issue. Our run D was still pretty bad last year. I don’t know if it was because of everyone around Star and he’s blameless, but that seems dubious. Seems more likely that teams run like crazy on us for the >50% of plays when he’s out. 

I don’t have any major problems with the signing, but wouldn’t be surprised to see it be a Clay-type contract in a couple years. 

3 hours ago, Cash said:

This is my biggest issue. Our run D was still pretty bad last year. I don’t know if it was because of everyone around Star and he’s blameless, but that seems dubious. Seems more likely that teams run like crazy on us for the >50% of plays when he’s out. 

I don’t have any major problems with the signing, but wouldn’t be surprised to see it be a Clay-type contract in a couple years. 

Could prove to be a Clay-type signing, that's for sure.  But the difference is that the signing of Clay contributed to the cap trouble the Bills have been in.   That is, signing Clay for too much money kept the Bills from signing someone who was more productive.   That isn't and won't be the situation with Star.  By the time the Bills are feeling limited by the cap, Star's contract won't be an issue.  

Whether the Bills overpaid for Star is an interesting question for some people to talk about, but it doesn't have much to do with whether the Bills are successful or fail over the next couple of years.   For example, if the Bills thought today that Star was a total failure, they could certainly go sign another guy (if he was out there) and put Star on the bench as a role player.   The Bills have the cap room to do that, because they aren't going to spend up to the cap in 2019.  They probably could even CUT Star, take the cap hit and move on without too much concern.   The Bills are in such an unusual cap situation right now that, given their plan and how they operate, whether they overpaid for Star is just irrelevant.   The Star contract doesn't limit the Bills the way the Clay contract did.  

Plus, I'm guessing the Bills are happy with Star and feel like they got their money's worth.   Every team makes personnel mistakes, because it isn't easy to do that job.  I doubt Star is on Beane's list of mistakes.   I'd bet that there are others that he'd like the Bills to have a do-over on, like Woods.  If he had Woods, the Bills likely wouldn't have gone after Zay, which means they could have found some guy in the draft to plug into another position.   

McDermott said a couple weeks ago that the objective is to have veteran leadership in every position room.  Kyle was the leadership in the d line room.   I don't know this, but I'm guessing they signed Star to be the guy when Kyle retired.   Hughes was the only candidate the Bills had to succeed Kyle, and Hughes brings some but not all of the leadership qualities needed.   I'd guess McBeane knew from their days in Carolina that Star was the guy to lead the group and THAT's why they got him.  And I'm guessing Star is doing just what they expected from him.  

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 months later...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2019-nfl-draft-misunderstanding-of-ed-oliver-pfn-film-room/

If you’re looking for a stable (pun definitely intended) position to stick him in, look no further than a 4-3 front. Luckily for Oliver, a 3-technique position could very well be his home for the next decade or longer. Many scouts believe it to be what suits his strengths the best. The best circumstance would be joining a stout nose or 1-technique defensive tackle to complement Oliver’s aggressiveness. This sort of personnel would isolate Junior. Something he wasn’t used to in college.

Sounds like Star and Oliver could be a good match. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/15/2019 at 11:45 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is a teammate going to say their teammate isn’t worth the money?  

Has Lorax given you the impression he’s a liar?

Amazing what armchair athletes think they know about the inner workings of a team. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, ******* said:

Currently DT Star Lotulelei will take up a team-high 5.8% of the #Bills salary cap in 2019 after signing a five-year, $50 million deal with Buffalo last offseason. Despite this, he only played in 46.9% of defensive snaps last season & he played in all 16 games

Wait...are the Bills up against the cap?     So they can't sign anybody?     And in cap jail for the next few years?   Whoa.     

I'm so done with this FO....

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, c-troop said:

Man, we need to get out of this contract

Why?  Are we up against the cap?  He serves a purpose, and we have the money. And we will have plenty next year. He’ll be good with Oliver too.