Dave DeGugielmo O Line Available

Ittakestime

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dave DeGugielmo is old school and abrasive. He is the anti Castillo and he is exactly what this line needs. He wouldn't stand for a guy like Dawkins getting comfortable. But the guys who play for him love him as he gives them a bit of rough edge. 

Cool article: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/09/21/how-dave-deguglielmo-has-brought-indianapolis-colts-offensive-line-together/1370061002/

Now I don't know if he brings Glowinski, but his guy is Matt Slauson. He's been his guy for a while and would fit nicely between Mitch Morse and Dawkins. I like him because he is the complete opposite of Castillo. 

He also has some insight into how the Colts gashed our defense in embarrassing fashion. I really want a return to a power running game. 

Any concern about how poorly the Pats OLine played in 2014 and 2015?  They had a hard time protecting Brady, who was hit a lot those years.  The next year (2016) Scarnecchia came out of retirement and the Pats won the SB with much better OLine protection.  The Pats run an EP system, as do we, though I'm thinking theirs is much more advanced.  I don't know what Indy runs.  You don't see any potential problems with pass blocking under DeGugielmo?

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Any concern about how poorly the Pats OLine played in 2014 and 2015?  They had a hard time protecting Brady, who was hit a lot those years.  The next year (2016) Scarnecchia came out of retirement and the Pats won the SB with much better OLine protection.  The Pats run an EP system, as do we, though I'm thinking theirs is much more advanced.  I don't know what Indy runs.  You don't see any potential problems with pass blocking under DeGugielmo?

They had poor talent on that line.  He’s an OL coach not a miracle worker 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This guy wasn't very good in New England.  Their OLine struggled and Brady got pressured and hit a lot in the 2015 season.

https://www.patriots.com/news/report-patriots-part-ways-with-ol-coach-dave-deguglielmo-255016

"His first season in New England got off to a hellacious start, as the line struggled to find consistency both in terms of personnel and performance. But that turned around in the middle of the year and the unit was more than good enough for the Super Bowl run.  That same was not true this fall, however. The unit utilized endless combinations – both out of necessity and at times by choice – and never was really good enough. The only time the passing game rolled was when Brady got rid of the ball at a ridiculously quick rate. Otherwise, the 38-year-old franchise was hit far too often, with that peaking in Sunday evening’s loss. Stork seemed to regress, while veterans Sebastian Vollmer and Marcus Cannon struggled, the latter having by far the worst year of his career."

Stork started the year on IR.

Solder missed more than half the year.  

Cannon missed time.

They had 3 rookies starting by the end of the year.  And others playing out of position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

I seem to recall the Pat's legendary line coach Dante Scarnecchia retired for a year, and DeGugliemo (sp?) Took over for a year with poor results. I believe the Pat's let him go after a year and we're thrilled to talk Scarnecchia out of retirement to clean up the mess. If anyone has better info please chime in.

I don;t really follow DeGugliemo that closely, but to compare him to Scarnecchia...  Isn't that kinda like saying if your not the GOAT, then you suck?

I think the Patriots did manage to win a Superbowl in 2014 with him as OL coach, and I think the Pats OL suffered quite a few injuries in 2015.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think it's a fair concern, but I will say that he was working with a lot of young players in 2015. Shaq Mason and Tre Jackson were rookies. Cam Fleming was young. David Andrews was a rookie I believe and he was awful. And Nate Solder got hurt early. I think it's a blip on his career, but it would not concern me going forward. He seems to be what the line here need and he's likely to be in lock step with Daboll. 

He is not a Vlad Ducasse guy either. When he was with the Jets there was some internal conflict because the higher ups were making him play Ducasse over Slauson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

While there at it put Daryll Williams and Big Mitch on that flight once free agency opens of course.

Make brief stop in Florida pick up Incog on a 1yr 5mil deal. Wouldn't Incog be a great mentor for Teller. Match made in football heaven.

LT Dawkins

LG Incog

C Big Mitch

RG Glowinski

RT D Will

Now we ready to go to football war. Man i know its unlikely but one can dream.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Make brief stop in Florida pick up Incog on a 1yr 5mil deal. Wouldn't Incog be a great mentor for Teller. Match made in football heaven.

LT Dawkins 

LG Incog

C Big Mitch

RG Glowinski

RT D Will 

Now we ready to go to football war. Man i know its unlikely but one can dream. 

You know 'bout Richie, right?

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

I don;t really follow DeGugliemo that closely, but to compare him to Scarnecchia...  Isn't that kinda like saying if your not the GOAT, then you suck?

I think the Patriots did manage to win a Superbowl in 2014 with him as OL coach, and I think the Pats OL suffered quite a few injuries in 2015.

Whatever was going on, he was not enough of an asset to keep around. Actions speak the loudest here, between the hoodie dumping him and Reich not seeing the value to keep him even when their oline performed well statistically this year. Just causes me some concern, maybe a little smoke there. Could be personality issues as some have mentioned he's gruff. Hopefully whoever the choice is will be the right one since it will be a big part of Josh Allen's development.

54 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it's a fair concern, but I will say that he was working with a lot of young players in 2015. Shaq Mason and Tre Jackson were rookies. Cam Fleming was young. David Andrews was a rookie I believe and he was awful. And Nate Solder got hurt early. I think it's a blip on his career, but it would not concern me going forward. He seems to be what the line here need and he's likely to be in lock step with Daboll. 

He is not a Vlad Ducasse guy either. When he was with the Jets there was some internal conflict because the higher ups were making him play Ducasse over Slauson. 

Thanks.  The Pats article seemed to pin it all on DeGugielmo, but I shouldn't be surprised at this.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Whatever was going on, he was not enough of an asset to keep around. Actions speak the loudest here, between the hoodie dumping him and Reich not seeing the value to keep him even when their oline performed well statistically this year. Just causes me some concern, maybe a little smoke there. Could be personality issues as some have mentioned he's gruff. Hopefully whoever the choice is will be the right one since it will be a big part of Josh Allen's development.

Supposedly Reich is now recommending/ vouching for him...He inherited him last year in the washup of the McDaniels debacle and now wants to bring in “his guy”...Seems strange but not unusual in the world of NFL coaching...

Personally I don’t care if his personality is a bit rough around the edges... just so long as he gets the results...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1