Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I owned the 'coaches' part in the last post, "slappy". Not sure what else you want. Or why you're singling me out when i'm far from the only person here (or in the media) pointing out that the Carolina/Ron Rivera connection gets reached out to often.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/15/heath-farwell-headed-to-bills-as-special-teams-coach/

The comment from PFT is flat incorrect. My point is make sure you know what you are talking about before laying it on so thick. I am not typically snarky,  but i don’t typically see posts both so loaded with snark AND uninformed. You did indeed own the comment about coaches but continued to Insinuate there is some kind of meaningful pipeline, which there isn’t. 

Not really singling you out as much as making sure people don’t read it and believe it. I can only attribute all of the vitriol in the thread as a whole to pent up frustration over how things turned out with KB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Haha that is Chase Blackburn the special teams coordinator for the Panthers. There is a picture of Farwell later in the article.

Ok- I am embarrassed... but not as embarrassed as I would be if I got caught with pictures of Chase Blackburn all over my walls like this guy

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Knew they were bad this season, by this metric the Bills were worst.. nowhere to go but upwards. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Those are always tricky with teams. A good kicker totally boosts the number, as would a good punter.  Hauschka fell off a cliff after his injury, and our punting was league worst.  Coverage unit's didn't have a good year either.  I don't think anyone's job should be safe between Hauschka, or Bojorguqez?.

I personally like the hire.  I know nothing about him or special teams coaches, but I'm glad its not some re-tread that got fired from someone else.  There's a bunch of new HC's around the league and they'll be looking to fill out their staffs so hopefully this is us getting a jump on that.

40 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with Carolina coaches and players? It's not a good look.

I don't think they care about "optics", I think they care about culture, winning, and finding guys they can trust.

And 75% is a huge farce.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I'm tired of the umbilical that ties McBeane to Carolina, but I'm not against the hire. It just raises the question of whether they do due diligence on their coaching and player decisions.  

Did anyone point out that Farwell didn't join Carolina until 2018, so he was never with McBean in Carolina, but anywho...

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with Carolina coaches and players? It's not a good look.

Apart from social media, who cares? Football is a sport won on the field, not a popularity contest won on internet forums

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They know there are other teams in the league to choose from, right?

You hope it isn't cronyism...

I would have preferred they interviewed Boyer, but I cannot say for sure that they did not have Boyer in their sights as their preferred target.

Boyer just recently signed (the 13th) an extension to stay on with the Jets under the new regime, and we do not know who he turned down or when before he made that decision.

Only a few days after Boyer made that announcement we see this move. Maybe the timing is not coincidence, but rather a plan "B". The only thing I am sure of is if he was their #1 choice there was no need to wait this long to make the move unless Heath had reservations about taking the role.

A lot of folks here beg for fresh faces in the coaching ranks - they are getting their wish.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You hope it isn't cronyism...

I would have preferred they interviewed Boyer, but I cannot say for sure that they did not have Boyer in their sights as their preferred target.

Boyer just recently signed (the 13th) an extension to stay on with the Jets under the new regime, and we do not know who he turned down or when before he made that decision.

Only a few days after Boyer made that announcement we see this move. Maybe the timing is not coincidence, but rather a plan "B". The only thing I am sure of is if he was their #1 choice there was no need to wait this long to make the move unless Heath had reservations about taking the role.

A lot of folks here beg for fresh faces in the coaching ranks - they are getting their wish.

How could it be if they never worked with him

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Did anyone point out that Farwell didn't join Carolina until 2018, so he was never with McBean in Carolina, but anywho...

Was also s damn good ST’er himself. Got a ring with Seattle as ST captain.  That seems good. He probably play with hausch 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

How could it be if they never worked with him

Does crony of a crony count? 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Actually, at this point I’m neutral on the supposed hire, with a leaning towards ‘it’s a step up’.  I was merely pointing out how polarizing coaching selections can be to the fanbase.

Good point and that's about where I am with this too.