Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I gotta' disagree with you that the FO should be fired......I mean c'mon Mr. Strawman.?

Regarding Mahomes..........McDermott is entirely accountable really............he tried to be HC/GM/Scout and ended up trading away a QB who threw 50 TD passes.

Lesson.........don't ever hire a first time HC and then allow him to have that much responsibility.

Any draft could be the most important in your teams history..........you can't treat one draft like "we aren't prepared enough" to select a QB if the opportunity arises.

I have had that opinion. The one that suggests McD was waiting for His GM to come on board and set the team up for the next Generation. trying to hit the homerun.
Think that is basically true. Whether i am any kind of correct is another story.
Messing up on your 1st round QB (ala EJM ) is something worse than waiting for a pretty decent QB draft class this past draft, Time will tell i suppose and how Allen shakes out.

yes maybe he could have been better prepared.
or Whaley would have gotten the credit, and harder to move on from him ?

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Who thought McD, while playing the role of DC in Carolina, spent the year scouting every player in college ball?  If you’re cranky about that pass on the widely questioned Mahomes (as unfortunate as it was in hindsight), it just sounds like a case of hindsight 20/20 diaper rash. 

....ahhhhh, the lustful beauty of hindsight my friend and the sure to be "mea culpas": that will follow (COUGH)......care to tab up the posting prognosticators who advocated "no thanks" to Mahomes as a product of the "leper like" Air Raid?....seem to remember a consensus that "no Air Raid QB ever makes it in the NFL"........yet so far, the kid has proved that gang wrong and now the same doubters are claiming spots on his band wagon.....with me so far?.....

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dunno about "entirely" - his bosses deserve a decent amount of the blame for ending up in that situation.  The Pegulas' belief that they could waltz into the NFL and learn on the job has set the franchise back about 10 years...

Oh ultimately it's always the owners fault.

I've said it before........one week The Pegs were finally entrusting football operations to their GM Doug Whaley after Whaley had seen Russ(Marrone) and The Pegs(Rex) hand-pick the HC for him the previous two times.  

A couple weeks later The Pegs did a 180 on Whaley and just hired the person they wanted and Whaley was put on 4 month long death march that required the team holding onto Whaley and his scouts but not letting them pick the players they scouted.:doh:

And there were actual idiots who looked at the situation and thought the Pegula's were blazing the trail for a future where HC's are hired and then GM's are hired after the HC got to be the GM in the first draft. :doh:

8 hours ago, Augie said:

There is no dispute that hindsight is 20/20. 

Of course they missed on some picks. 

Here we go.:rolleyes:

The "would we have liked to draft 7 Hall of Famer's.........well sure!"  rationalization.?

Bottom line............there is one position that can really significantly alter your franchise.............not just it's success on the field over a 2 decade period.........but also it's ability to develop a fanbase and sell premium seating............and the franchise's net value and stability.

Quarterback.

They PASSED on that player at a time when everyone knew that was their primary need as a franchise.

It's not that easily excusable Augie.

Now I am hopeful for Josh Allen............I was instantly pleased with that pick and I hope it works out.

But it is what it is.............it's not like people didn't realize at at the time that trading away a pick that would become a franchise QB could haunt the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....ahhhhh, the lustful beauty of hindsight my friend and the sure to be "mea culpas": that will follow (COUGH)......care to tab up the posting prognosticators who advocated "no thanks" to Mahomes as a product of the "leper like" Air Raid?....seem to remember a consensus that "no Air Raid QB ever makes it in the NFL"........yet so far, the kid has proved that gang wrong and now the same doubters are claiming spots on his band wagon.....with me so far?.....

Umm...maybe? 

I had no opinion on the guy whatsoever. I’m not sure if I ever even saw him in college. I read the same reports that others did. What I know FOR SURE is no team makes the best possible pick at every slot in every draft. We all miss with our wants at times. I expect that and can live with it, as long as we get it right more than not.  I like our trajectory, so I’m all good. 

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here we go.:rolleyes:

The "would we have liked to draft 7 Hall of Famer's.........well sure!"  rationalization.?

Bottom line............there is one position that can really significantly alter your franchise.............not just it's success on the field over a 2 decade period.........but also it's ability to develop a fanbase and sell premium seating............and the franchise's net value and stability.

Quarterback.

They PASSED on that player at a time when everyone knew that was their primary need as a franchise.

It's not that easily excusable Augie.

Now I am hopeful for Josh Allen............I was instantly pleased with that pick and I hope it works out.

But it is what it is.............it's not like people didn't realize at at the time that trading away a pick that would become a franchise QB could haunt the franchise.

Every team misses. Do you just want to take over the draft? I’m sure that would be perfect!  

I’m not excusing it, I’m just saying it happened and it’s time to move on. Do you want to fire everybody. Are you that short sighted? Should we put them in time out for an hour? Make them eat Cincinnati style chili as punishment? Tell me: WHAT DO YOU WANT? It’s over. 

We had an outgoing GM and a new HC who was a DC the year before. But sure, carry on. 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, GG said:

The reality is that Pegulas know exactly what happened leading up to and including the 2017 draft.  We don't.  

If your speculation of how events transpired is closer to the truth, then I'm sure that it has a major bearing on Pegula's attitudes towards the head coach.

It's not like this "speculation" was created after Mahomes became a star QB.

The talk that Whaley had been powered-off by McD started right away after his hiring and it wasn't a government secret.

The free agency period and draft were full of instances where McD personnel decisions were based on the opinions of new coaching hires(Babich Jr. recommending Poyer and McGeoghan advising the Zay Jones pick) and the Carolina claiming that McD had stolen their draft board and maneuvered in front of them multiple times.

Whaley wasn't pulling strings in that draft.  

Unfortunate things happen, especially during transition phases. This is where we are today. Sure let’s fire the owners and a GM who wasn’t even on the job yet. 

I’d rather look forward than backward. I like what I see more than I thought possible 2-3 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Umm...maybe? 

I had no opinion on the guy whatsoever. I’m not sure if I ever even saw him in college. I read the same reports that others did. What I know FOR SURE is no team makes the best possible pick at every slot in every draft. We all miss with our wants at times. I expect that and can live with it, as long as we get it right more than not.  I like our trajectory, so I’m all good. 

Every team misses. Do you just want to take over the draft? I’m sure that would be perfect!  

I’m not excusing it, I’m just saying it happened and it’s time to move on. Do you want to fire everybody. Are you that short sighted? Should we put them in time out for an hour? Make them eat Cincinnati style chili as punishment? Tell me: WHAT DO YOU WANT? It’s over. 

We had an outgoing GM and a new HC who was a DC the year before. But sure, carry on. 

Every team loses games too,  Augie.

And yet the objective of professional football remains to win.

That's what's so PATHETIC about people like you being entirely apologetic in the near constant absence of success.?

This isn't your sisters of the poor alma mater............it's a pro franchise in the only north american major pro sports league set up to allow everyone an equal chance at success..........as such......a reasonable amount of that success is expected in return for suspending disbelief and adopting someone's privately owned company as "your team".

Save the hyperbolic defenses like "how should we punish everyone".............we all know how this works...........if they don't succeed they get fired whether it offends your delicate sensibilities or not.

Trading away the Mahomes pick is a mark on McD's record.......it just is.......whether you like it or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Every team loses games too,  Augie.

And yet the objective of professional football remains to win.

That's what's so PATHETIC about people like you being entirely apologetic in the near constant absence of success.?

This isn't your sisters of the poor alma mater............it's a pro franchise in the only north american major pro sports league set up to allow everyone an equal chance at success..........as such......a reasonable amount of that success is expected in return for suspending disbelief and adopting someone's privately owned company as "your team".

Save the hyperbolic defenses like "how should we punish everyone".............we all know how this works...........if they don't succeed they get fired whether it offends your delicate sensibilities or not.

Trading away the Mahomes pick is a mark on McD's record.......it just is.......whether you like it or not.

Sure, because McD was working full time scouting college ball while also serving as DC in Carolina. The GM for that draft has been fired, McD was brand new on the job. Our current GM was not yet with the team. 

As for me being “entirely apologetic in the near constant absence of success”, it’s just not true. Period. I will point out that they have been to the playoffs in half of McD’s seasons here, and with talent that had little business being there. We have newer owners who have faced a learning curve, and the GM is newer than the coach. Has it been perfect? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but I can live with it. 

The bold is simply not true, but feel free to carry on. In hindsight it’s clear what Mahomes can be, if handled the way the Chiefs did it and surrounded by that cast. I wish he was on our team. But I see how it happened that he is not. No telling how he’d be if dealt the hand that Allen got. But while we’re at it, I wish we had the Chiefs entire offense! And Andy Reid is a hell of a coach. Where do we stop? 

Of course they get fired in time if they fail. How and when that happens is not up to me or you.  Since I have no control,  I’m fine with that. Really. If they go they go. It’s happened over and over, and will continue to do so. I’m just not outraged one way or the other. It’s a team playing a game I like to follow and watch. Period. There’s nothing delicate about my sensibilities, but I think yours might be overly sensitive. I’m perfectly calm.  I don’t think I’m pathetic at all, but thanks for that. I just may have a different opinion than those high horse folks who expect perfection or have anger issues. 

If you are so outraged, I suggest you pony up and buy the team, because until you do that, you don’t get a vote. And neither do I. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Sure, because McD was working full time scouting college ball while also serving as DC in Carolina. The GM for that draft has been fired, McD was brand new on the job. Our current GM was not yet with the team. 

As for me being “entirely apologetic in the near constant absence of success”, it’s just not true. Period. I will point out that they have been to the playoffs in half of McD’s seasons here, and with talent that had little business being there. We have newer owners who have faced a learning curve, and the GM is newer than the coach. Has it been perfect? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but I can live with it. 

The bold is simply not true, but feel free to carry on. In hindsight it’s clear what Mahomes can be, if handled the way the Chiefs did it and surrounded by that cast. I wish he was on our team. But I see how it happened that he is not. No telling how he’d be if dealt the hand that Allen got. But while we’re at it, I wish we had the Chiefs entire offense! And Andy Reid is a hell of a coach. Where do we stop? 

Of course they get fired in time if they fail. How and when that happens is not up to me or you.  Since I have no control,  I’m fine with that. Really. If they go they go. It’s happened over and over, and will continue to do so. I’m just not outraged one way or the other. It’s a team playing a game I like to follow and watch. Period. There’s nothing delicate about my sensibilities, but I think yours might be overly sensitive. I’m perfectly calm.  I don’t think I’m pathetic at all, but thanks for that. I just may have a different opinion than those high horse folks who expect perfection or have anger issues. 

If you are so outraged, I suggest you pony up and buy the team, because until you do that, you don’t get a vote. And neither do I. 

I'm not outraged in the least............it's all entertainment.

But the simple fact is the NFL is a HIGHLY COMPETITIVE, HIGH STAKES($), NO EXCUSES,  PROFESSIONAL SPORT............this isn't your kid's HS soccer team.

They aren't victims of circumstance or anything else...........they are competitors given an opportunity to compete.

You and some others act like a bunch of mom's making excuses and shouting down discussion about mistakes made as if they don't matter in the big picture...............when ultimately they absolutely do.

Because if you don't make good decisions and win in the NFL..........you get fired.

I hope McD makes it and Allen bails out he and Beane...........but if McBeane doesn't make it so be it.   Won't hurt my feelings and I won't feel sorry for them and neither should anyone else.   It's a game........if you don't achieve the objective you lose and someone else gets a shot at the glory and the fat paychecks.   Simple and more than fair.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The excuses will be there as long as they are part of the organization.... once/if they are fired the apologies stop and the apologist begin again with whomever Pegula hires next. 

Fans take it too personal. Like the Bills represent who they are. 

The Bills have been a cluster ***** for the most part the past 20 years or so. But that's ok. I just root for them, they don't represent who I am as a person and I think that's where some fans miss the boat.(Even though Ive had my fair share of moments of being a cluster *****.) 

Sorry to borrow from @DC Tom but you're an idiot.  Being a Bills fan is absolutely a part of fans' identities.  Not the whole thing, but a part.  Fans care.  They want their teams to succeed.  I think every fan wants every decision the team makes to work out, but unfortunately for the Bills of the past 20 years most haven't.

As a fan you have a choice every day when you wake up.  Are you going to enjoy the ride, root for the team, share your opinions, and look for the bright spots?  Or are you going to moan and groan, point out the mistakes, make fun of optimistic fans, and predict that nothing will change?

I know which type of fan I want to be (and be around), and I know which choice you have made.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The excuses will be there as long as they are part of the organization.... once/if they are fired the apologies stop and the apologist begin again with whomever Pegula hires next. 

Fans take it too personal. Like the Bills represent who they are. 

The Bills have been a cluster ***** for the most part the past 20 years or so. But that's ok. I just root for them, they don't represent who I am as a person and I think that's where some fans miss the boat.(Even though Ive had my fair share of moments of being a cluster *****.) 

I call bs. You’ve been hyper critical of every major coaching hire and personnel move and too passionate in your arguments with other forum members in defense of that that criticism for too long to suggest that. This team seems to piss you off to no end. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Sorry to borrow from @DC Tom but you're an idiot.  Being a Bills fan is absolutely a part of fans' identities.  Not the whole thing, but a part.  Fans care.  They want their teams to succeed.  I think every fan wants every decision the team makes to work out, but unfortunately for the Bills of the past 20 years most haven't.

As a fan you have a choice every day when you wake up.  Are you going to enjoy the ride, root for the team, share your opinions, and look for the bright spots?  Or are you going to moan and groan, point out the mistakes, make fun of optimistic fans, and predict that nothing will change?

I know which type of fan I want to be (and be around), and I know which choice you have made.

Y'know, you don't have to borrow from me.  Just send up the DC Tom bat-signal, and I'll come and call him an idiot myself.

Generally, amateurs should wield "you're an idiot" on their own.  It's a very nuanced, powerful statement, and in the hands of amateurs becomes a crude bludgeon and loses the rapier-like elegance it exhibits in the hands of a true expert like myself.

So just...ask me next time, you idiot.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not outraged in the least............it's all entertainment.

But the simple fact is the NFL is a HIGHLY COMPETITIVE, HIGH STAKES($), NO EXCUSES,  PROFESSIONAL SPORT............this isn't your kid's HS soccer team.

They aren't victims of circumstance or anything else...........they are competitors given an opportunity to compete.

You and some others act like a bunch of mom's making excuses and shouting down discussion about mistakes made as if they don't matter in the big picture...............when ultimately they absolutely do.

Because if you don't make good decisions and win in the NFL..........you get fired.

I hope McD makes it and Allen bails out he and Beane...........but if McBeane doesn't make it so be it.   Won't hurt my feelings and I won't feel sorry for them and neither should anyone else.   It's a game........if you don't achieve the objective you lose and someone else gets a shot at the glory and the fat paychecks.   Simple and more than fair.   

Of course mistakes matter. I have said if they don’t win, they get fired. Happens all the time.  I’m fine with that. 

Look, this whole thing started because you seem to have deliberately misstated what happened in the Mahomes trade to make your case, and I corrected the statement to make it more accurate. We did NOT trade away a 50 TD QB, we traded the 7th pick in the draft. (Maybe I read that wrong.)The Chiefs managed him deftly with a year to learn under a vet, then gave him all the weapons in the world and he’s done amazing things.  You apparently took offense to that. I didn’t make excuses or give them a pass.  In hindsight it was a mistake. That happens. Neither of US will get fired for that. It is certainly one negative mark, but it’s not the only grading point. 

I wasn’t shouting down anything, I was just correcting for accuracy. There’s nothing that can be done about it now other than file it away as part of the over all package for grading somewhere down the road. NOW is not that time, so I’m not going to worry about it. 

We probably agree more than you realize, but I dodn’t see any point in dragging this out forever. Have a great weekend. 

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Sorry to borrow from @DC Tom but you're an idiot.  Being a Bills fan is absolutely a part of fans' identities.  Not the whole thing, but a part.    They want their teams to succeed.  I think every fan wants every decision the team makes to work out, but unfortunately for the Bills of the past 20 years most haven't.Fans care.

Of course fans care.

Some of us just keep it real(you fail, you lose, you get fired) and enjoy the competitive/final nature of sport......and can deal with and discuss it in those real terms.

Others are "mom" fans who make excuses for failure............which really makes no sense at this level.

Save it for youth soccer.:thumbsup: