Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

A good hire, let's move on, I find threads about newly hired Assistant Coaches rather pedantic.

What we really need is another thread about Josh Allen's accuracy. Who will start it?

I would but I'm busy working on my it's all Russ Brandon's fault thread.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, iinii said:

18th? That strikes fear in the competition 

When you're 32nd there's nowhere to go but up.

I don't understand why anyone would trash this hire.  Sure, he's unproven, but unless "prior NFL experience as ST coordinator" is your only acceptable job qualification what exactly is the negative?

For every one trashing this hire: we had a ST coach who former players openly mocked and accused of striking them. We could literally have replaced Crossman with a playbook hanging from a wall along with a list of 1960s instructional VHS tapes on "playing like a champion" and I would expect improvement. Read the profile on this guy and then tell me he doesn't sound like an upgrade on paper. Perhaps an ex-player with fire in his belly who played Special Teams at a Pro-Bowl level is not such a bad thing?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

What are these ranks based off of? Kicking? Punting? Kickoffs? 

If the kickers aren't good it doesn't really matter

That is one of eleven players involved. So like the QB if things go poorly it must have been the kicker?

5 hours ago, eball said:

When you're 32nd there's nowhere to go but up.

I don't understand why anyone would trash this hire.  Sure, he's unproven, but unless "prior NFL experience as ST coordinator" is your only acceptable job qualification what exactly is the negative?

18th isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. It is so classic how some people defend everything, like the organization is their little sister. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, iinii said:

That is one of eleven players involved. So like the QB if things go poorly it must have been the kicker?

18th isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. It is so classic how some people defend everything, like the organization is their little sister. 

What makes Buffalo the 32nd ranked special teams unit in the league? 

Edited by dneveu

43 minutes ago, iinii said:

Is that what you think is going on?  Read more carefully.

I'm glad to see, however, that you care deeply for your younger sibling.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Is that what you think is going on?  Read more carefully.

I'm glad to see, however, that you care deeply for your younger sibling.

I just see "buffalo is 32nd, and this guys ST unit was only 18th so he's a scrub".  What makes them 18th?  How much better is... 5th from 18th, and how much worse is 32nd from 18th.  What are things that Carolina did well, and didn't do well?

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Especially the FO should be fired, because they were all with different teams when Mahomes was drafted and none of them drafted him either. The only member of our FO who drafted him was Marvin Allen and he already left. Fail. 

Well I gotta' disagree with you that the FO should be fired......I mean c'mon Mr. Strawman.?

Regarding Mahomes..........McDermott is entirely accountable really............he tried to be HC/GM/Scout and ended up trading away a QB who threw 50 TD passes.

Lesson.........don't ever hire a first time HC and then allow him to have that much responsibility.

Any draft could be the most important in your teams history..........you can't treat one draft like "we aren't prepared enough" to select a QB if the opportunity arises.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I gotta' disagree with you that the FO should be fired......I mean c'mon Mr. Strawman.?

Regarding Mahomes..........McDermott is entirely accountable really............he tried to be HC/GM/Scout and ended up trading away a QB who threw 50 TD passes.

Lesson.........don't ever hire a first time HC and then allow him to have that much responsibility.

Any draft could be the most important in your teams history..........you can't treat one draft like "we aren't prepared enough" to select a QB if the opportunity arises.

If you want to be accurate, McD stepped into a situation with a GM he had never worked with, and they together traded a draft choice (that resulted in a high quality player and more) to a team who would then pick a QB (who had a scouting report with real questions) who would then sit behind a quality veteran for a year before playing on one of the most talented offensive teams ever seen, who then threw for an amazingly impressive 50 TD’s

I like to try to stay balanced in my views. That’s how I saw it. But we all get our takes. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you want to be accurate, McD stepped into a situation with a GM he had never worked with, and they together traded a draft choice (that resulted in a high quality player and more) to a team who would then pick a QB (who had a scouting report with real questions) who would then sit behind a quality veteran for a year before playing on one of the most talented offensive teams ever seen, who then threw for an amazingly impressive 50 TD’s

I like to try to stay balanced in my views. That’s how I saw it. But we all get our takes. 

What's with all this reason and logic Bull *****.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What's with all this reason and logic Bull *****.

Who thought McD, while playing the role of DC in Carolina, spent the year scouting every player in college ball?  If you’re cranky about that pass on the widely questioned Mahomes (as unfortunate as it was in hindsight), it just sounds like a case of hindsight 20/20 diaper rash. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

They also could have selected Watson who still might turn out to be an excellent QB. Instead, they traded away the pick and drafted a cornerback.

What is there really to dispute?

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dunno about "entirely" - his bosses deserve a decent amount of the blame for ending up in that situation.  The Pegulas' belief that they could waltz into the NFL and learn on the job has set the franchise back about 10 years...

• Like (+1) 1

I heard that this FO traded some players and draft picks so that they could plan on getting a QB in this previous years draft choices and I also heard that they ended up drafting this guy named Josh Allen.  I hear he's a pretty good QB prospect.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reality is that Pegulas know exactly what happened leading up to and including the 2017 draft.  We don't.  

If your speculation of how events transpired is closer to the truth, then I'm sure that it has a major bearing on Pegula's attitudes towards the head coach.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

They also could have selected Watson who still might turn out to be an excellent QB. Instead, they traded away the pick and drafted a cornerback.

What is there really to dispute?

There is no dispute that hindsight is 20/20. 

Of course they missed on some picks. So did almost everyone before them, looking back. I was just pointing out they didn’t trade a 50 TD QB, they traded a pick used to draft a QB who, after a year of sitting and learning, was put into an amazing situation....and went on to do incredible things. Just providing a little context. Almost 100% of the great QB’s had somebody pass on them. It’s not unique to the Bills. Would I rather have a do over? Probably, but all we can do no is wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That's not balanced.

You've basically given them a pass.

I somewhat agree you can't put all the blame on McDermott. It's not his fault the Owner couldn't make up his mind on what the ***** he wanted in hiring his HC first to work with Whaley, then changed his mind in planning to fire Whaley, then asked the HC he hired who he recommended for a GM.?

Wrong, I just explained more accurately what happened. I think even they wish they had taken Mahomes, but you can’t change that now. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That’s how the game works. That’s NOT giving them a pass. I’ll just be a grown up and move on. It’s not life and death to me. 

You tried to condemn them by deliberately distorting the facts (Shocking!) . I was just providing some context. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dneveu said:

What makes Buffalo the 32nd ranked special teams unit in the league? 

Are you implying it was all the kickers’ faults? Coverage/blocking were all perfect? lack of depth?  What about when we were receiving? 

18 hours ago, dneveu said:

I just see "buffalo is 32nd, and this guys ST unit was only 18th so he's a scrub".  What makes them 18th?  How much better is... 5th from 18th, and how much worse is 32nd from 18th.  What are things that Carolina did well, and didn't do well?

If you aren’t the lead dog your view is the same. 5,18, 32..,.all same