Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

36 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

To be fair to the "there is a Carolina pipeline" narrative people, there have been a lot of players with connections:

Tolbert

Benjamin

Star

Kaelin Clay

Joe Webb

Derek Anderson

Leonard Johnson

Dean Marlowe

Newhouse (traded to Carolina from Buffalo)

Now i dont think it matters and think Beane and McD are doing a great job, but to say its a false narrative is understating the connection by an equal amount as people saying they only hire Carolina people and its weak.  Both sides are far from reality

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article173506866.html

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/9/17669920/buffalo-bills-are-loaded-with-former-carolina-panthers-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-kelvin-benjamin

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/30/17177796/are-the-nfl-carolina-panthers-buffalo-bills-in-a-committed-long-term-relationship

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24796233/marshall-newhouse-traded-carolina-panthers-buffalo-bills

Well to be fair if you go through the current Bills roster on NFL.com the pipeline looks to be Baltimore, Chicago, and Miami as each team is connected to 5 players on the current Bills roster.  Next up would be Arizona and Philadelphia with 4 and then a group of 7 teams including Carolina with 3 players on the current roster.

I understand early on they brought in several Carolina players like Tolbert to fill holes and establish what McDermott wanted, but none of those guys are really left.  It is down to 2 back-ups/ non-factors in Marlowe and Anderson, and Star as a rotational player/filler.

It does help that Beane and McDermott have a good relationship with Carolina, but the roster, coaching staff, and FO is not filled with guys from Carolina - it is a limited group that have any connections at all.

• Like (+1) 3

The challenge for special teams recently has been the profound chan ges in thr rules.  This is especially true for kickoffs.  Rules changes affect both the kicking and the receivi9ng teams.  It may be that one of Danny Crossman's major shortcomings was his inability to adapt well to the rules changes.  I think mybe in this case it is an advantage to hire a guy who is fairly new to the coaching ranks as he might not be dragged down by attachments to old concepts as Crossman seemed to be.  I don't care whether or not he's from Carolina.

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, dneveu said:

None of this matters if we don't upgrade Kicker and Punter. 6 misses from beyond 40 isn't exactly hausch money imo.  And we had the worst group of punters in the NFL.

Gotta think Hausch wasn't 100% on a few of those kicks. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bill Murray said:

To be fair to the "there is a Carolina pipeline" narrative people, there have been a lot of players with connections:

Tolbert

Benjamin

Star

Kaelin Clay

Joe Webb

Derek Anderson

Leonard Johnson

Dean Marlowe

Newhouse (traded to Carolina from Buffalo)

Now i dont think it matters and think Beane and McD are doing a great job, but to say its a false narrative is understating the connection by an equal amount as people saying they only hire Carolina people and its weak.  Both sides are far from reality

That is fair to the “Carolina connection narrative” people. 

What’s not fair, is those people applying that same narrative to the hiring of Heath Farwell. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

What was his excuse when he was doing that in Seattle to get him cut?

In Seattle he was putting kicks so short from manageable distances. 

I thought the Seahawks didn't resign him as a FA to save $ - but he wasn't the same after the Jets game.

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But is he the best-looking special teams coach in the league?  That’s what’s most important.

Where’s @Gugny and his poll - about this?  We need to know.

LOL ? or maybe the Gase eyes ?.

Edited by Rochesterfan

14 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

What was his excuse when he was doing that in Seattle to get him cut?

In Seattle he was putting kicks so short from manageable distances. 

What were his stats pre and post injury this year?

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I was thinking about something to say vs all the assumed Carolina connection.  But I know nothing about the guy and who here really knows anything in regards to who is a good position coach? 

Special Teams is not a position coach, but I get your point.

I find it odd how so many folks get their undies in a twist from simply asking why this guy?

You can look at the rankings of the Special Teams established coaches who have coached over the years...

From there you can see if their ST's suck more often than they are competitive.

There is nothing to review for this hire as this would be his first gig as a ST coach (was an assistant his one year with the Panthers).

Everyone has got to start somewhere.

Edited by WideNine

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The way McBeane love to hire people they already know from Carolina appears sophomoric.

I have no idea if this guy is any good; I guess we'll find out.

Except when they don't.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The way McBeane love to hire people they already know from Carolina appears sophomoric.

I have no idea if this guy is any good; I guess we'll find out.

Please provide the FULL list of personnel they hired from Carolina.

• Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Except when they don't.

Oh, great. So now he's hiring people he didn't know in Carolina? 

Man, I tell ya what, I am so tired of gurgle schmurgle McClappy process gurgle and his Mahomes snufflufugus yakakaha umph ....but whatevs, I'm like totes done with this team....

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

Please provide the FULL list of personnel they hired from Carolina.

Let's see, off the top of my head:

McDermott

Beane

Star Lotulelei

Kelvin Benjamin

Kaelin Clay

Dean Marlowe

EDIT: And now Farwell.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They didn’t know him from Carolina, fam. Keep up.

You think it's pure coincidence about the connection to Carolina?

McDermott is doing what he does best: calling his old buddies to get recommendations or vetting a prospect and then going with what he knows and trusts. 

Is this guy the best candidate available? Or he is the best one available who McD could discuss with personnel in Carolina?

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1