Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

No one is trashing the hire, just questioning how thorough the positional hiring process is at OBD - if anything, I usually trend towards giving the new Bills regime the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of leaning on connections in the Panthers org, it would be a curious thing that they hired a guy whose coaching resume is tissue-thin with one whole year as an assistant ST coach with the Panthers. It is fair to want to look under the hood and better understand how they landed on that guy - you kind of have to assume someone in the Panthers org told McBeane that this guy was worth giving a shot.

That does not mean he will fail, but if he does - the question is going to be asked again later by the media and everyone else.

My biggest question on this surrounds the hiring of the WR coaches the past 2 years, both only lasted one. Maybe has to do with OC change though. 

33 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I love the hire won’t be worse than crossman and it would be great to actually develop the next great special teams coach 

Usually experienced HCs develop other coaches, not guys who are still struggling to learn their jobs. That being said, if he can cut back on penalties and make sure they know their jobs then it's a big win.

To be fair to the "there is a Carolina pipeline" narrative people, there have been a lot of players with connections:

Tolbert

Benjamin

Star

Kaelin Clay

Joe Webb

Derek Anderson

Leonard Johnson

Dean Marlowe

Newhouse (traded to Carolina from Buffalo)

Now i dont think it matters and think Beane and McD are doing a great job, but to say its a false narrative is understating the connection by an equal amount as people saying they only hire Carolina people and its weak.  Both sides are far from reality

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article173506866.html

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/9/17669920/buffalo-bills-are-loaded-with-former-carolina-panthers-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-kelvin-benjamin

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/30/17177796/are-the-nfl-carolina-panthers-buffalo-bills-in-a-committed-long-term-relationship

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24796233/marshall-newhouse-traded-carolina-panthers-buffalo-bills

Edited by Bill Murray

Just now, Real McCoy said:

True that.

You should make T-shirts or write fortune cookies :P

I was thinking about something to say vs all the assumed Carolina connection.  But I know nothing about the guy and who here really knows anything in regards to who is a good position coach? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I was thinking about something to say vs all the assumed Carolina connection.  But I know nothing about the guy and who here really knows anything in regards to who is a good position coach? 

I love seeing how twisted some get from the Carolina pipeline. It honestly doesn't bother me at all for a ST coach.  You have to start somewhere to become great. 

After reading the article on this guy I'm happy about the hire and youth he brings to the table.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

To be fair to the "there is a Carolina pipeline" narrative people, there have been a lot of players with connections:

Tolbert

Benjamin

Star

Kaelin Clay

Joe Webb

Derek Anderson

Leonard Johnson

Dean Marlowe

Newhouse (traded to Carolina from Buffalo)

.... and his package. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I love seeing how twisted some get from the Carolina pipeline. It honestly doesn't bother me at all for a ST coach.  You have to start somewhere to become great. 

After reading the article on this guy I'm happy about the hire and youth he brings to the table.

The Carolina connection is essentially non-existent on this one. So many knee jerk reactions by people ready to complain about something. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, End The Drought said:

This is how coaching trees work chief. The Panthers were Super Bowl contenders in 2016. Not sure how hiring a young coach who happens to be a former special teams pro bowler could be a bad thing. Also did you happen to watch any bills games this year? Just about any ST coach would be an upgrade 

1. Could care less about the Panther connection. 

2. As others have so eloquently mentioned anyone would be better than Crossman.

3. Love the fact he's young, hands on

and probably innovative.

4. Now draft Braden Mann, protect House$ at all costs and revamp the punt/ko coverage.