Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m unsure what you are now arguing. I said i think the vitriol on the Carolina stuff stems from KB. This is the 1st coach they’ve ever brought over from there and zero FO members. Player pipeline? Yes, to some degree, as expected. The rest? No, there isn’t one as of now. 

I totally agree about your point of connection not a "Pipeline".

I looked through the entire Bills coaching staff and the only coaches with a Carolina connection (serving at the same time as McDermott)

are the following:

1.  Bobby Babich (Safeties) - Served in Carolina in 2011-2012 with McDermott.

2.  Matt Worswich (Assistant to the Head Coach) - Served in Carolina in 2016 with McDermott.

That's it.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I owned the 'coaches' part in the last post, "slappy". Not sure what else you want. Or why you're singling me out when i'm far from the only person here (or in the media) pointing out that the Carolina/Ron Rivera connection gets reached out to often.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/15/heath-farwell-headed-to-bills-as-special-teams-coach/

We all understand the national media does almost no homework on the Bills, but the fact remains as far as players in the last game we had 2 players with Carolina connections and only 1 played.  The coaching staff at the present had really no Carolina coaches - the only real connection was McDermott and Beane.

Did they bring some players in - yes, but that is the case everyone.  Is the number large or inordinate- I think not.

It is a continuous issue that people make these assumptions and then present as fact with no proof.  Again national media is because they do not care - they just speak with no thought because 90% of the readers know nothing about the team, but it should be better on the board where members actually follow the Bills and know the players.

• Like (+1) 2

I like the idea of a young guy with some fresh ideas, who was a special teams captain in his career and won a super bowl with some dynamic special teams. I like this. 

He also played for Leslie Frazier when he was the DC in Minnesota. So this is more of a Frazier connection than it is a Panthers connection. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They should care. Optics are very important in sports, especially football. If it works, there's obviously no issue. But if it doesn't work - perception is reality. And the perception is that they appear to dependent on their former team and connections there.

They shouldn’t care - interview and hire who you want - if they care about optics over hiring the right people then they will be gone anyway.

The fact that perception driving by poor logic and no facts would have any impact is just wrong.

Name all of the Carolina coaches on this staff hired by McDermott and Beane.

Name all of the Carolina players on this team.

Name all of the FO staff hired directly from Carolina.

You actually do that and you see the numbers are quite small included this new guy as the only Carolina Coach, 2 players, and 1 FO person in Morgan that was only a Carolina connection as a player - not in his current role.

Edited by Rochesterfan

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

We all understand the national media does almost no homework on the Bills, but the fact remains as far as players in the last game we had 2 players with Carolina connections and only 1 played.  The coaching staff at the present had really no Carolina coaches - the only real connection was McDermott and Beane.

Never mind the National Media. Some Bills fans could do with realising that.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is high time to stop complaining about our new ST Coach and start complaining about our new OL Coach that we don't have yet. 

Let's pretend he will be coming from the Panthers.  Time to make up stuff ....

READY ... BEGIN.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, hemma said:

I think it is high time to stop complaining about our new ST Coach and start complaining about our new OL Coach that we don't have yet. 

Let's pretend he will be coming from the Panthers.  Time to make up stuff ....

READY ... BEGIN.

How about we sign Mike Tolbert as O line coach? 

Do it for 1 day and then fire him, just for the amusement of watching some fans go crazy

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know there were other Carolina players, as expected (you actually missed a few) but I was referring to actual frustration over the outcome which I believe is largely tied to KB. 

True but he coached there only one year and they didn’t play every game at home in Charlotte . He played ST in Seattle and in the nfc north for a long time! I think he is pretty familiar with ST in weather conditions. 

No one is trashing the hire, just questioning how thorough the positional hiring process is at OBD - if anything, I usually trend towards giving the new Bills regime the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of leaning on connections in the Panthers org, it would be a curious thing that they hired a guy whose coaching resume is tissue-thin with one whole year as an assistant ST coach with the Panthers. It is fair to want to look under the hood and better understand how they landed on that guy - you kind of have to assume someone in the Panthers org told McBeane that this guy was worth giving a shot.

That does not mean he will fail, but if he does - the question is going to be asked again later by the media and everyone else.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with people from Carolina? It's not a good look.

Edit: I am completely aware optics are not the most important thing. If something works, it doesn't matter. But when they're losing - it's often brought up as a detriment (not cutting the Carolina apron strings).

Frazier no Carolina connection...Dabol no Carolina connection...we brought in a old QB in Anderson (good move but not to play) and KB didnt work. over reaction

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

No one is trashing the hire, just questioning how thorough the positional hiring process is at OBD - if anything, I usually trend towards giving the new Bills regime the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of leaning on connections in the Panthers org, it would be a curious thing that they hired a guy whose coaching resume is tissue-thin with one whole year as an assistant ST coach with the Panthers. It is fair to want to look under the hood and better understand how they landed on that guy - you kind of have to assume someone in the Panthers org told McBeane that this guy was worth giving a shot.

That does not mean he will fail, but if he does - the question is going to be asked again later by the media and everyone else.

Actually I think it's a simple as some people just like moaning, regardless what the organisation does.

• Like (+1) 1