Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably their own opinion after evaluating his work and interviewing him 

You think?

I hope this is the case, but what I have seen in life is that is more often who you know that what you know when it comes to getting hired.

I had some other guys in mind so I am a bit bummed. The Panthers were middle of the pack playing in a nice balmy Charlotte location half the time, our conditions in B-lo are a bit more challenging, but I am open to being convinced he is a diamond in the rough.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not just KB. There's Derek Anderson, Mike Tolbert (former), Star Lotulelei, Kaelin Clay (former), and Dean Marlowe. All off the top of my head. Beane followed McDermott from Carolina. And he went on to add his Carolina buddy Joe Schoen (who left for Miami before this season) and Dan Morgan (who is as Carolina as it comes).

Perhaps it's a little overblown by fans and the media. But to say there hasn't been a pipeline or connection is to take it from one extreme to another.

I know there were other Carolina players, as expected (you actually missed a few) but I was referring to actual frustration over the outcome which I believe is largely tied to KB. 

Just now, WideNine said:

You think?

I hope this is the case, but what I have seen in life is that is more often who you know that what you know when it comes to getting hired.

I had some other guys in mind so I am a bit bummed. The Panthers were middle of the pack playing in a nice balmy Charlotte location half the time, our conditions in B-lo are a bit more challenging, but I am open to being convinced he is a diamond in the rough.

True but he coached there only one year and they didn’t play every game at home in Charlotte . He played ST in Seattle and in the nfc north for a long time! I think he is pretty familiar with ST in weather conditions. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I know there were other Carolina players, as expected (you actually missed a few) but I was referring to actual frustration over the outcome which I believe is largely tied to KB. 

So if you see staff, players, and now coaches - a long list (of which you can apparently add on to) - how can you say there's no pipeline? 

I think I am with the majority here.  If the guy is a good hire, then that's great.

I would be curious to know, though, how many players, coaches, and front officer personnel we've picked up directly from the Carolina Panthers.  Not just have ever been connected with the franchise, but how many were working for Carolina, that ended up directly in Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You think?

Or their players were a little rough.

I think it’s fair to ask whether McBeane have sufficient contacts around the league to fully evaluate both players and coaches, or whether they’re overly reliant on recommendations from their former colleagues.  Certainly he seems energetic and dedicated and he’s no retread; hopefully he can fix the woeful STs we’ve seen during McD’s tenure (and I’ve always thought that Teams was more about the head coach and GM).  But you have to wonder whether McBeane have a full grasp of personnel and coaching evaluations.  It’s a fair question.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So if you see staff, players, and now coaches - a long list (of which you can apparently add on to) - how can you say there's no pipeline? 

I’m unsure what you are now arguing. I said i think the vitriol on the Carolina stuff stems from KB. This is the 1st coach they’ve ever brought over from there and zero FO members. Player pipeline? Yes, to some degree, as expected. The rest? No, there isn’t one as of now. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not just KB. There's Derek Anderson, Mike Tolbert (former), Star Lotulelei, Kaelin Clay (former), and Dean Marlowe. All off the top of my head. Beane followed McDermott from Carolina. And he went on to add his Carolina buddy Joe Schoen (who left for Miami before this season) and Dan Morgan (who is as Carolina as it comes).

Perhaps it's a little overblown by fans and the media. But to say there hasn't been a pipeline or connection is to take it from one extreme to another.

If McBeane had the same personal experience with the Carolina connected people mentioned in bold text above, you'd have a stronger point about their being the same kind of connection with Farwell. Again, it's the difference between a "connection" and merely having something in "common." 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m unsure what you are now arguing. I said i think the vitriol on the Carolina stuff stems from KB. This is the 1st coach they’ve ever brought over from there and zero FO members. Player pipeline? Yes, to some degree, as expected. The rest? No, there isn’t one as of now. 

Don't forget about Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 1

Now this is interesting... looks like he worked for a little while with STRIVR Labs-  a start up company that partnered with the NFL for virtual reality training.  - https://www.strivr.com/nfl-partnership-with-strivr/

Here in this article he is mentioned along with Trent Edwards (yeah... that guy!), helping Vikings set up the new system at that time (2015).

http://www.startribune.com/high-tech-hits-the-field-at-vikings-camp/318733721/

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-to-implement-virtual-reality-technology-15523213

https://vrjournal.com/vikings-discover-new-world-and-its-virtual-reality-technology/

Trent Edwards is co founder... https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/7/24/9024017/trent-edwards-nfl-virtual-reality-strivr-labs-buffalo-bills

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

I once slept with a girl name Caroline. Is that close enough? Can I have a job? I'd take Deputy Assistant Quality Control coach. 

20 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think you are confused on Schoen. He worked in Miami before Buffalo. He is still our assistant GM. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He sounds pretty impressive from that article. Thanks for sharing. 

I am optimistic about this hire. 

Agreed - that's a great article.  I was almost getting pumped up about STs just reading it ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They should care. Optics are very important in sports, especially football. If it works, there's obviously no issue. But if it doesn't work - perception is reality. And the perception is that they appear to dependent on their former team and connections there.

Meaningless words.

If he fails, he fails. If he succeeds, he succeeds. THAT is reality.

And they have no connections to the guy anyway.....?

Not sure what kind of a guy Rivera is, but is it possible that Rivera called Beane/McDermott and said "hey, I see you guys are looking for a ST Coordinator.  You really should look at at Heath Farwell.  He's an assistant here, but he is deserving of a ST Coordinator position.  He won't get it here, because we have our guy, but he deserves a shot somewhere"?  Those kinds of connections (to your former team) are likely to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Define “inordinate.” No FO members either. Dan Morgan played there but was not in the FO. He came from the Seahawks. 

And this is a thread about a coaching hire so makes zero sense to judge it based on that fact they signed some players from there. Commonplace stuff for any team with familiarity of players and system/scheme/culture. They also cut some from there. Own your uninformed take, please.

This is so right - people get so blow away over inaccuracies because they believe that all we do is hire ex Carolina players and coaches - when in reality the numbers are small.