Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

I do not care what team he came from as long as he can teach these young guys how to play special teams, and build some pride in the unit.  Seems like a good spot for a young, enthusiastic coach with a solid ST performance record of his own.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here is another great story on him from the end of his playing career-

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/5/31/4383520/heath-play-love-would-seahawks-do-well-in-going-far-without-special

Sounds like he focused on ST from college... 

Asked about his continuing excellence on those units, Farwell offered, "It goes way back to college, when most guys wanted to get off special teams when they started playing on defense or offense. I was one of those guys who wanted to play special teams and knew that was going to be my ticket to the NFL and my ticket to staying in the NFL."

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Could be a great addition, great story...

https://www.theolympian.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article26080978.html

Former special teams ace, ST captain for Seattle and they converted him to coach after injury.  

yes and will be close to Hauschka aka House Money as well.   Hope he can find a Punter out of the 2 Cor(e)ys.  

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The Carolina nonsense is getting nauseating.  Expand your horizons.

I find the immediate dismissal/minimizing of anyone from Carolina by fans to be quite a bit more nauseating, to be honest.

Just because he's from Carolina, he can't be any good? And did I dream up the fact that the Panthers have more wins by far in the past decade than the Bills, and have made a Super Bowl in that time?

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

The "cronyism" comments are a bit unfair. This guy is definitely qualified to coach special teams at the NFL level. Is he THE most qualified? I don't know. Probably not? But he's definitely qualified. And coach McDermott has every right to hire someone whom he thinks will get along well with the rest of the coaches, the players, and the general culture of the franchise that he's building. I like his NFL ST playing background. And I like that Frazier and Hauschka know him well. And most importantly, I like that he's not Danny Crossman.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Apart from social media, who cares? Football is a sport won on the field, not a popularity contest won on internet forums

They should care. Optics are very important in sports, especially football. If it works, there's obviously no issue. But if it doesn't work - perception is reality. And the perception is that they appear to dependent on their former team and connections there.

For anyone to sit here and bash the move -- when we all know DAMN WELL that nobody knows a lick about Heath Farwell as a coach -- is just silly and pessimistic.

Try reading a bit about the guy, watching some Panthers special teams footage, or using any critical thinking whatsoever, instead of just dismissing the move out of hand because he happens to have the same former employer as our GM and coach.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, he wasn't even IN Carolina at the same time as McBeane. He's also a lifelong NFL special teamer himself who only recently retired. He appears to be an energetic, upbeat, hands-on coach, and just about anyone on planet earth would be an upgrade over Danny Crossman. But people are gonna knock the move because he came from the Panthers? Oy vey. People never cease to amaze me.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

They should care. Optics are very important in sports, especially football. If it works, there's obviously no issue. But if it doesn't work - perception is reality. And the perception is that they appear to dependent on their former team and connections there.

*cough* total nonsense *cough*

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with Carolina coaches and players? It's not a good look.

I know.  What foolishness hiring people you know will promote the culture you want.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How could it be if they never worked with him

Fair point - did not note the hiring date when they went to work for the Panthers and forgot they flushed Koeter so that explains why he was available.

It is also fair to acknowledge that there has to be some FO connections still with Carolina, or a degree of organizational cronyism or this guy who (as you pointed out, the McBeane has not worked with, who has a minimal NFL coaching resume) would not have floated to the top.

Not saying he is going to suck, just wondering what they based this hire on, or more likely who's opinion.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

It’s a special teams coach so I don’t care much about the Carolina connection being used again. I find it hard to believe that the best guy for the job was from the same place as the coach and GM, the 1/32 thing but bleh.

If they sign Funchess I will probably lose all hope for the duo. 

And if they sign Darryl Williams?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Fair point - did not note the hiring date when they went to work for the Panthers and forgot they flushed Koeter so that explains why he was available.

It is also fair to acknowledge that there has to be some FO connections still with Carolina, or a degree of organizational cronyism or this guy who (as you pointed out, the McBeane has not worked with, who has a minimal NFL coaching resume) would not have floated to the top.

Not saying he is going to suck, just wondering what they based this hire on, or more likely who's opinion.

Probably their own opinion after evaluating his work and interviewing him 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The comment from PFT is flat incorrect. My point is make sure you know what you are talking about before laying it on so thick. I am not typically snarky,  but i don’t typically see posts both so loaded with snark AND uninformed. You did indeed own the comment about coaches but continued to Insinuate there is some kind of meaningful pipeline, which there isn’t. 

Not really singling you out as much as making sure people don’t read it and believe it. I can only attribute all of the vitriol in the thread as a whole to pent up frustration over how things turned out with KB. 

It's not just KB. There's Derek Anderson, Mike Tolbert (former), Star Lotulelei, Kaelin Clay (former), and Dean Marlowe. All off the top of my head. Beane followed McDermott from Carolina. And he went on to add his Carolina buddy Joe Schoen (who left for Miami before this season) and Dan Morgan (who is as Carolina as it comes).

Perhaps it's a little overblown by fans and the media. But to say there hasn't been a pipeline or connection is to take it from one extreme to another.