Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No. If he's the best man for the job, he's the best man for the job. But they're a first time HC and a first time GM. It's a really bad look to consistently be reaching out to your former team for everything. They obviously don't care. If it works, it works. But when it doesn't (KB?), they look like they don't know what they're doing. 

Still haven’t checked those notes eh.... keep digging 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Honestly with all the rule changes, it’s basically impossible to be super innovative on STs.  Just don’t be awful. 

I will say teams are drafting punters and kickers more than ever so that might be something to keep an eye on.  Sucks to spend a draft pick on that but Seattle drafted a pro bowl P who really helped their team.

6 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

The Carolina nonsense is getting nauseating.  Expand your horizons.

This is how coaching trees work chief. The Panthers were Super Bowl contenders in 2016. Not sure how hiring a young coach who happens to be a former special teams pro bowler could be a bad thing. Also did you happen to watch any bills games this year? Just about any ST coach would be an upgrade 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Still haven’t checked those notes eh.... keep digging 

Specifically assistant coaches, correct. They haven't and I shouldn't have specified coaches. But overall with this team - you can't argue that there's in an inordinate amount of holes in Buffalo that seem to get filled by the Carolina Panthers pipeline. Even the national media picks up on it.

19 minutes ago, wppete said:

Like I was saying we will end up with the scraps after everyone else had the experience hires. 

Wild, do you know the complete list of interviewees? Do you know what offers we made?  Do you know the internal decisions that were made?  

Because if you don't, there is no plausible way you can infer that they were just "waiting" around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, End The Drought said:

This is how coaching trees work chief. The Panthers were Super Bowl contenders in 2016. Not sure how hiring a young coach who happens to be a former special teams pro bowler could be a bad thing. Also did you happen to watch any bills games this year? Just about any ST coach would be an upgrade 

We were hiring an assistant ST coach which means that it would be a promotion for a coach. This means we could have looked at any Assistant ST coach out there. I find it hard to believe, that the best assistant ST coach in the whole league just happened to be in Carolina. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Specifically assistant coaches, correct. They haven't and I shouldn't have specified coaches. But overall with this team - you can't argue that there's in an inordinate amount of holes in Buffalo that seem to get filled by the Carolina Panthers pipeline. Even the national media picks up on it.

Define “inordinate.” No FO members either. Dan Morgan played there but was not in the FO. He came from the Seahawks. 

And this is a thread about a coaching hire so makes zero sense to judge it based on that fact they signed some players from there. Commonplace stuff for any team with familiarity of players and system/scheme/culture. They also cut some from there. Own your uninformed take, please.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ittakestime said:

We were hiring an assistant ST coach which means that it would be a promotion for a coach. This means we could have looked at any Assistant ST coach out there. I find it hard to believe, that the best assistant ST coach in the whole league just happened to be in Carolina. 

All is well. His left toe is probably better than Crossman. We’ve upgraded.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well he sure seems likeable in this picture. I mean, look at that smile. There's a guy who loves his job.

Haha that is Chase Blackburn the special teams coordinator for the Panthers. There is a picture of Farwell later in the article.

Not sure how anyone could read that article and be less than excited for this hire - young guy, respected by the player, wants perfection from himself as well as his players.

Guessing though that many didn't read the article (or past the word Carolina), give it a try TBD, you might like what you see! :beer:

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Define “inordinate.” No FO members either. Dan Morgan played there but was not in the FO. And this is a thread about a coaching hire so makes zero sense to judge it based on that fact they signed some players from there. They also cut some from there. Own your uninformed take, please.

I owned the 'coaches' part in the last post, "slappy". Not sure what else you want. Or why you're singling me out when i'm far from the only person here (or in the media) pointing out that the Carolina/Ron Rivera connection gets reached out to often.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/15/heath-farwell-headed-to-bills-as-special-teams-coach/

In the past few years, moves from the Panthers to the Bills have become a frequent occurrence for players, coaches and executives and it appears the pipeline remains open.

7 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Yessss.  I knew this dumb take was coming.  And its better that it came from one of the "usual suspects"