Bills hire Heath Farwell as ST coordinator

Roundybout

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I am sure there are just as many people who will tell me he’s great because of the Carolina connection.  ?

I think you were being sarcastic, but so far it seems like people have actual reasons to be optimistic with this hire.

1 minute ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I think you were being sarcastic, but so far it seems like people have actual reasons to be optimistic with this hire.

Actually, at this point I’m neutral on the supposed hire, with a leaning towards ‘it’s a step up’.  I was merely pointing out how polarizing coaching selections can be to the fanbase.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with Carolina coaches and players? It's not a good look.

I'll go out on a limb here and posit that Beane and McDermott couldn't care less about this "look" you're referring to.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A couple of things about this hire.

Firstly, I don't care about the Panther connection on this particularly. Mainly due to the fact that the guy has acually played the position in the NFL, and apparently has a boatload of energy, plus is an enthusiast for STs.

Secondly, as a young guy, if he works out, he could be here for a good few years.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

A couple of things about this hire.

Firstly, I don't care about the Panther connection on this particularly. Mainly due to the fact that the guy has acually played the position in the NFL, and apparently has a boatload of energy, plus is an enthusiast for STs.

Secondly, as a young guy, if he works out, he could be here for a good few years.

A few of the same reasons why the board was so excited when Rex brought in soon to be HOFer Ed Reed as a coach. 

If the Bills were going to hire a current NFL assistant ST coach instead of someone who has experience as an NFL ST coordinator, is this the best choice from that group?  I guess we will never know who they considered and interviewed, but you would think that many in the current group of assistant ST coaches on other teams would have been interested in a promotion to a coordinator position with the Bills.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even if he is a great hire - how are they not aware of the optics that come with filling (what feels like) 75% of your holes with Carolina coaches and players? It's not a good look.

So you would run this based on optics only - interesting.

The Carolina shouts are kind of annoying. From my quick research he was with the Panthers for one year. He's more associated with the Vikings and Seahawks(both as a player and coach).

Farwell played in 114 games for Minnesota and Seattle and didn’t start a single one. Yet he made the Pro Bowl in 2009.

One moment, Farwell will dive on coffin-corner punts from Michael Palardy. The next, he’ll strap on a chest plate and slide pencil pads over his arms, daring guys to make contact on coverage drills.

He’s the only NFL coach some of the players have ever seen who wears cleats and receiver gloves to practice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Might want to check your notes, slappy. 1st coach McBeane has ever  hired from Carolina. Not a good look for you, indeed. How are you not aware of the optics surrounding your inaccurate posts? 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

We should interview at least 5,000 people that have never been in the state of North Carolina for this position and have a live feed of every interview.

Then and only then, blow them off & hire this young guy who has played the position, coached STs and actually wants the job.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

So you would run this based on optics only - interesting.

No. If he's the best man for the job, he's the best man for the job. But they're a first time HC and a first time GM. It's a really bad look to consistently be reaching out to your former team for everything. They obviously don't care. If it works, it works. But when it doesn't (KB?), they look like they don't know what they're doing.