Would Cordy Glenn be an option in FA?

STL-Bills

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why would a team interested in winning football games with some regularity cut a good/solid LT?  Why would a good/solid LT re-sign for bottom feeder money to play RT for the team that traded him away when he could make much more playing LT for another team? 

FTR, Glenn is a superior LT to Dawkins, who is, at best, adequate.  He's the one who should be moved to RT -- or better yet, to G where he could actually be good.

Not all teams are as stupid as the Bills.  They understand the importance of having a decent OL anchored by a solid LT.

Yeah, the reason is stupidity. 

Most OLers miss games due to injury.  It's the nature of playing "in the trenches" where big bodies are always falling on one another.   Since Glenn's 2018 injury was unrelated to his previous injuries, why would he "might not be suited to be a starter in the league any longer"?   I mean other than Bills' fans looking for excuses to justify the Bills trading away a good LT and leaving their potential franchise QB unprotected?

Glenn is definitly a superior LT but I would definitely trade him for Allen.

If they are such a stupid team then why do you root for them.  Although I dont know if what you do is called rooting for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why would a team interested in winning football games with some regularity cut a good/solid LT?  Why would a good/solid LT re-sign for bottom feeder money to play RT for the team that traded him away when he could make much more playing LT for another team? 

FTR, Glenn is a superior LT to Dawkins, who is, at best, adequate.  He's the one who should be moved to RT -- or better yet, to G where he could actually be good.

Not all teams are as stupid as the Bills.  They understand the importance of having a decent OL anchored by a solid LT.

Most OLers miss games due to injury.  It's the nature of playing "in the trenches" where big bodies are always falling on one another.   Since Glenn's 2018 injury was unrelated to his previous injuries, why would he "might not be suited to be a starter in the league any longer"?   I mean other than Bills' fans looking for excuses to justify the Bills trading away a good LT and leaving their potential franchise QB unprotected?

How did Glenn play this year for the Bengals? 

12 hours ago, STL-Bills said:

I haven't seen anything other than pure speculation, but if they are rebuilding I could certainly see them looking to save the 9MIL+ in cash they'll owe him each of the next two years.

2 years 18m would be among the cheaper starting LTs not on a rookie deal

10 hours ago, Doc said:

?

Fans 

team replaced Andrew Whitworth with him, downgrade. It doesn’t help that his cap hit this year was over 2 mill more than Whitworth’s, who they didn’t think was worth his contract at age 34 and let him walk.

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

2 years 18m would be among the cheaper starting LTs not on a rookie deal

Sort of - right now he is the 6th highest paid tackle in the NFL and his 2018 pay alone was higher than what 12 teams paid for all of their tackles both left and right - starters and back-ups salaries combined.

That will change with this off-season, but the fact is he started the year strong, but his play declined.  Then he got hurt missed multiple games and was much less effective upon his return.

I have no idea what they will do, but my guess is they will be looking to replace him ASAP with a cheaper and healthier alternative.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sort of - right now he is the 6th highest paid tackle in the NFL and his 2018 pay alone was higher than what 12 teams paid for all of their tackles both left and right - starters and back-ups salaries combined.

That will change with this off-season, but the fact is he started the year strong, but his play declined.  Then he got hurt missed multiple games and was much less effective upon his return.

I have no idea what they will do, but my guess is they will be looking to replace him ASAP with a cheaper and healthier alternative.

Theres not much “sort of”

9m per would be 18th(?) paid left tackle. It’s below average and several of the cheaper are on rookie deals. 

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Theres not much “sort of”

9m per would be 18th(?) paid left tackle. It’s below average and several of the cheaper are on rookie deals. 

His salary this year was over 11 million and 6th highest in the league this year. Was he the 6th best LT in light of the 3 games missed.

His salary decreases in coming years, but he has missed time each of the last 3 years - so that needs to be factored.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

I don’t know about most, but in terms of Left tackles only 4 teams had a LT miss more games than Glenn and 1 of those teams in Cleveland switched tackles in the season not due to injury.

18 teams had a LT start and play in every game this year and 5 more teams had their LT only miss one game and it was almost always a short week or just before the bye.

This is 3 straight years he has failed to play more than 13 games and like some of the other tackles that missed extended time it becomes a pattern.  

I think that Glenn can certainly be a starter, but he is not elite and he was being paid as a top 6 LT and with a lack of playing full time - I would be leary of that salary with his play.  He has fallen to mid level starter and in the coming years his salary will align its that, but if you are a rebuilding Cincinnati team - do you pay over 9 million for him or do you try to move on? If you can get a pick - I think they move on.  If not it will depend, but he has a roster bonus due in March or they can get out with no dead cap money before that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

There is no way they would release him. 

Trade? Maybe, but I doubt that as well. He had an up and down year but also had ankle surgery the year prior. I'm sure that played a part. 

He has otherwise been a top tier LT in the league when healthy. You don't just dump him because he's making a lot of money. 

I was merely asking how he played this season since I didn't watch any Bengals games.  I have no idea what the Bengals are going to do but his ailments over the last 3 seasons, coupled with his almost $10M cap hit, has to concern them.

20 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Not a process guy. Nothing on his twitter bio about faith or God.

I guess this was an attempt at humor?

Concerning Glenn, Yes! He is an above average LT. The only issue with him is staying on the field. If healthy and at a good cost, certainly.

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

First off, I never said he'd sign for "bottom feeder" money. "Reasonable" money is far different than "bottom feeder".

Glenn is superior, but if the team sees Dawkins as the future at LT, then you move Glenn. You're free to have whatever opinion you want, but the Bills will be the ones making that decision (if they were to indeed acquire Glenn).

Nothing I said indicates the Bengals are stupid. The Bills clearly had a plan when trading Glenn to move up, and if you can't see that then I'm sorry. The Bengals suck, are changing regimes, and will likely look to rebuild. They won't be resigning Glenn in 2021 when his contract is up, and they have a potential out this year that will save them 18mil. If considering saving 18 million on a player that isn't part of your future is "stupid", then I'm glad you aren't running the Bills.

Appreciate your opinions, but you sure seem like a jerk with the way you present them.

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

In the last 3 years, he's only started 29 games due to his health.  Most offensive lineman miss time due to injuries but how many franchise Left Tackles miss 60% of eligible games over a few year period who will still be considered reliable?