William Barr Confirmation Hearing Thread

Tiberius

Just now, Swill Merchant said:

Question for those in the know: I know nothing of Mr. Barr. Viewing all reaonable inferences in the light most favorable to the Democrats, is there any legitimate reason for the tone of this hearing, or is this the just the latest manufactured crisis of the party that cried wolf?

Barr is the safest pick Trump could have made. There's no legitimate reason for the tone, other than 2020 candidates wanting their pound of flesh for their campaign ads. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Barr is the safest pick Trump could have made. There's no legitimate reason for the tone, other than 2020 candidates wanting their pound of flesh for their campaign ads. 

You don't think there's legitimate concern about an AG who has previously argued for a VERY liberal interpretation of the power of the executive branch, especially when the current administration has demonstrated what I'll charitably call an unorthodox decision-making process?

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't think there's legitimate concern about an AG who has previously argued for a VERY liberal interpretation of the power of the executive branch, especially when the current administration has demonstrated what I'll charitably call an unorthodox decision-making process?

Yes...but fortunately Holder is long out of office.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know what to make of the Barr pick for a lot of reasons. But politically speaking, considering his unanimous vote under W, there's zero reason for him not to have a swift and smooth confirmation. 

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't know what to make of the Barr pick for a lot of reasons. But politically speaking, considering his unanimous vote under W, there's zero reason for him not to have a swift and smooth confirmation. 

China Lady just said that she thinks Barr will be approved. Maybe the dems would like to clean up their reputation and be bipartisan.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I didn't say clean up their actions. They know they took it on the chin over Kavanaugh, and they know they can't block Barr, so why not pretend to be bipartisan?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Oh, wait...you're serious?

Because their base would string them up.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol:

She is a thorough clown.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Oh, wait...you're serious?

Because their base would string them up.

She is a thorough clown.

For the most part they took it pretty easy on Barr. Mazie Horono and Richard Blumenthal were asses and Kamala Harris was a little curt but the rest seemed to not go overboard. Corey Booker was actually somewhat complimentary.  Barr is pretty squeaky clean and his confirmation is not the place to pick a fight. Yes they have to feed their base but they still have to keep the suburban women, and attacking a nominee as qualified as Barr is going to hurt them with those women. They should pick less of a slam dunk to make their stand.

40 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol:

What was wrong with that? She was obviously referencing Matt Wittikers refusal to recuse himself. So what? 

He handled himself very well. 

20 minutes ago, snafu said:

I would have loved Barr to have said "what kind of stupid ***** question is this"?

Why was it stupid?