East-West Shrine Week

On 1/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Brandon Beane and his staff are at East-West Shrine Week and so far these are our reported visits

DT Daniel Wise – BUF 6'3 291 Kansas
DE Derick Roberson – BUF 6'4 250 Sam Houston State
WR DaMarkus Lodge: BUF 6'2, 204 Ole Miss

First question to Lodge from Beane and staff:  “DaMarkus, have you considered the benefits of playing on the defensive side of the ball?”

?

So finally here are my written up notes from the game:

Defense

Jordan Brailford (East #91) – DE – Oklahoma State – I thought Brailford was the most impressive player on the field last night. He dominated. You can start with the stats: 1 sack, 3 QB hits, a tackle for loss and a fumble recovery – but he was more than stats. He disrupted the West offense on most of the plays he was out there and none of the tackles he went against were really able to hold their own. He is strong, well balanced and seems to have that speed to power conversion that teams look for. When he gets there he is a ferocious finisher at the point of contact. There are some limitations – he is a bit one dimensional – it is the bull rush or nothing he doesn’t show that range of pass rush moves you need to establish yourself as an every down NFL starter. He also needs to use his hands better on a more consistent basis. He projects as a developmental sub-package pass rusher at the next level and you would normally think he has a chance to go early on day 3, but in the most talented pass rush class for at least a generation he could really go anywhere from round 4 to UDFA. 

Michael Dogbe (East #90) – DT – Temple – Dogbe had a really solid game on the interior of the East’s defensive line. He played the run pretty well for the most part but he projects best as a 3 technique with some upside as a penetrative disrupter if he can improve his first step quickness which is inconsistent. His only “splash” play was a tackle for loss early but he impressed with his fundamentals and discipline. He lacks ideal length that NFL teams tend to look for but I think he will find a home on day 3 of the draft. 

Daniel Wise (West #96) – DL – Kansas – The thing that immediately strikes you about Daniel Wise is his flexibility. He lined up at both DE and DT in different spots last night and he is a constant menace. Plays with a high motor and I like the leverage he plays with in the run game. There were some concerns for me though last night – I think he is slow off the line and struggles to disengage when linemen get the first punch in. But he is just sheer effort on every single play. I don’t see the exceptional traits but if you are looking for a guy to provide DL depth who will show up and leave everything on the field on every play Wise is the guy. The Bills reportedly met with him this week and he is an interesting day 3 option.

Justin Hollins (West #48) – LB – Oregon – Hollins won the West’s player of the game and it is easy to see why with 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss and a whole host of tackles. He was quick, instinctive and flew to the football. Mainly used on the edge at Oregon and last night but his lack of bend would concern me in terms of his pass rush ceiling at the next level. I think his better fit might end up being as a SAM in a 4-3 where he can utilise those instincts and be allowed to range as a playmaker moving towards the line of scrimmage. I don’t think his game film matches his performance last night but he does have a chance to find a home in the later rounds of the draft. He is a scheme specific fit for me.

Chris Johnson (East #25) – S – North Alabama – Chris Johnson was a new name on me but he made quite an impression. He is 6ft3, rangey, demonstrated tremendous instincts and closing speed and had one excellent pass break up. I would hardly describe him as a “smooth” mover he looks kind of awkward at times and I get the impression he is still growing into his frame, but the potential is there and I think with the rare combination of size and speed it is sky high. I doubt he goes before day 3 but this is a guy from a small school who is an NFL team really puts the work into could end up as a quality NFL starter. Loved him and am off to scour YouTube for more!

Ka’dar Hollman (West #13) – CB – Toledo – Another new name on me and he wasn’t a guy that the announcers really focussed on during the game but I thought he was quietly impressive. Had snaps in the slot and snaps on the outside and what really stood out was his route recognition and ability to shadow receivers. I think he probably projects as a nickel in the NFL but I’d be pretty happy to see the Bills take a flier on him late or pursue him as a priority UDFA.

Offense

Brett Rypien (West #4) – QB – Boise State – I have watched a little bit of Rypien over the last week to prepare for this game. He was pretty much what he has been I think. Pretty accurate short and intermediate range passer, he throws with nice touch and when he sets his base the ball generally goes where he intends it to. Arm strength and size are less than optimum and when he returned to the game I the 2nd half and faced some pressure he got a little bit sketchy. Hard to judge how much he was getting through progressions – didn’t see much evidence of it on his Boise tape. He is a day 3 pick for a team looking for a developmental guy.

David Blough (West #11) – QB – Purdue – Played better than I expected, isn’t particularly a tight window thrower but gets the ball out on time and would be a fit in a traditional west coast timing offense that schemes receivers open. UDFA talent but will be a camp arm and practice squad guy somewhere.

Darrin Hall Jnr (West #24) – RB – Pittsburgh – Physical, downhill runner, gets yards after contact, a bit upright in his running style though and very much a one cut guy but 6.4 yards per carry was an impressive night. A bit like a shorter Karlos Williams. Late day 3 pick.

Ty Johnson (East #24) – RB – Maryland – First I’d seen of Ty Johnson and I liked him. He has that big thigh, big backside, thin waist combination that looks slightly odd but gives him great power and sharp change of direction ability. Hits the line hard and then explodes away making him hard to bring down. Having done a bit of research on him today I see he has struggled to be the #1 at Maryland which would be a concern but there is some raw ability there. Productive special teamer too so has double value. I’d expect him to make a roster somewhere in 2019.

Lanard Bonner (West #72) – OG – Arkansas State – Bonner was the member of the West’s offensive line who most impressed. He is aggressive and clearly enjoys the run game and getting after defensive lineman and driving them back. I like his anchor seems to have a really solid base. Footwork might be a little slow and I think against some of the elite interior pass rushers in the NFL he might be vulnerable. That said he is a kid worth getting into camp and he might be one of those who needs a Practice Squad year before he is ready to make an impact in the NFL.

Nick Allegretti (East #67) – OG – Illinois – Liked his movement skills. He got out in front on a number of run plays and finished well at the second level. He looked technically sound in the pass game too and stayed disciplined didn’t grab when getting beaten but tried to redirect. I think he will have improved his draft stock considerably. Played centre at Illinois and definitely has value as a swing interior guy. Don’t be surprised if he sneaks into the end of day 2.

Terry Godwin II (East #4) – WR – Georgia – I didn’t love the wide receiver play in this Shrine Game, whereas it is normally a stage on which small school receiver shine. I feel slightly frustrated to be giving you the name of one receiver and it being a pretty well established guy who has started at Georgia, but he was voted the MVP for the East team. He was the only pass catcher targeted more than once who caught all of his targets. He did all he could, he turned up, he caught the ball and had 2 touchdowns. At the NFL level he is a slot receiver and I don’t think his ceiling is all that high but there is value in slot receivers who do nothing but catch the ball. I expect he will get drafted late day 3.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, wppete said:

The safety Chris Josnson form North Alabama looks interesting.

• Player – Chris Johnson  
  • Position – SS/FS            
  •  School- North Alabama
  • Height- 6’ 3                         
  • Weight- 200 lbs                                  
  • Draft 2019
  • Projected 40-    4.45                                   
  • Projected round- – UDFA
  • Hometown- Oak Mountain, Alabama

He was my favourite player from the game. I think he has a sky high ceiling. Might take him a year or two to get there but I think he could be an elite NFL safety.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:39 PM, #34fan said:

I really, really, enjoyed watching Nick Allegretti… Talk about a versatile O-lineman.... That's my guard all day. -I don't care which round.

Seems like a McD kind of guy

Career Highlights

• 2018 Senior CLASS Award candidate
  • 2018 Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year semifinalist
  • 2018 Campbell Trophy semifinalist
  • Two-time Wuerffel Trophy nominee (community service award)
  • Two-time AFCA Good Works Team watch list
  • Led the Illini's "Lift For Life," which raised over $86,000 for charity in two years
  • President of the Illinois Uplifting Athletes chapter, which raises money for rare disease research and treatment
  • Influential volunteer at the Tom Jones Challenger League
  • Two-time team captain (2017 & '18)
  • Three-time Academic All-Big Ten
  • Two-time Big Ten Sportsmanship Award winner
  • 2018 All-Big Ten second team (media)
  • No. 3 rated guard in the nation by PFF in 2018
  • Thank you (+1) 1