Comparing Rookie Linebackers: How important is age in a LB's development?

Draft Position

Roquan Smith 8

Tremaine Edmunds 16

Leighton Vander Esch 19

Darius Leonard 36

Fred Warner 70

PFF Grades

Roquan Smith 67.4

Tremaine Edmunds 57.4

Leighton Vander Esch 85.6

Darius Leonard 81.8

Fred Warner 63.9

Roquan Smith 21.7

Tremaine Edmunds 20.7

Leighton Vander Esch 21.9

Darius Leonard 23.4

Fred Warner 22.1

I feel that TE's grades will be much better if we just look at the second half of the season. 

25 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Draft Position

Roquan Smith 8

Tremaine Edmunds 16

Leighton Vander Esch 19

Darius Leonard 36

Fred Warner 70

PFF Grades

Roquan Smith 67.4

Tremaine Edmunds 57.4

Leighton Vander Esch 85.6

Darius Leonard 81.8

Fred Warner 63.9

Roquan Smith 21.7

Tremaine Edmunds 20.7

Leighton Vander Esch 21.9

Darius Leonard 23.4

Fred Warner 22.1

I feel that TE's grades will be much better if we just look at the second half of the season. 

He graded a little better in the second half of the season but I tracked him all year and he was up and down all year. The last two games were a microcosm - the Patriots game was his worst of the year, then the Dolphins game was his best as a professional. I think the talent is there with Edmunds. The consistency needs to improve markedly and it is almost all fundamentals. He does the hard stuff better than the easy stuff. He makes plays 99% of linebackers in the league can't make. The problem is he doesn't make enough of the plays all linebackers in the league are expected to make.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One thing I noticed with Edmunds is that he struggled when coaches game planned to attack him. It's no surprise that Hoodie saw a young linebacker and threw the playbook at him, it's why he wins so much. As for how important age is, that's completely up to the individual. Look at hockey. Some players like Eichel are able to come in and start right away at 18 years old. Others, like Reinhardt need some time in the AHL before they're ready to play with the big boys. Football doesn't have a minor league, just college ball, but that individual adjustment rate is still there. Difference is he has no choice but to play at the NFL level once he's drafted. 

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just chronologic age?  Maybe not much.  But if you look at your list I think Edmunds took on a position that was fairly new for him, MLB in a 4-3. The others were playing positions they were more used to from college.

Old Man I agree.  It’s not easy to move at 20 to MLB and captain of the defense.  He has a ton of raw talent and with an off season to prepare vs. last spring training for the combine, etc.  I bet we’ll see improved play next year.

He doesn’t seem physical enough to play MLB.  He tends to get engaged with OL and can’t get off the block.  One play sticks out is the Jets loss at home on the run for a TD.  He had the running back dead in the backfield if he shot the gap.  Would of been a loss of 2-4 yards easily.  Instead he hesitated and got engaged with a game of paddy cake with an OL.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11

We'll find out next season.

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

He doesn’t seem physical enough to play MLB.  He tends to get engaged with OL and can’t get off the block.  One play sticks out is the Jets loss at home on the run for a TD.  He had the running back dead in the backfield if he shot the gap.  Would of been a loss if 2-4 yards easily.  Instead he hesitated and got engaged with a game of paddy cake with an OL.  

He did seem to react slowly.

I believe it’s the same as Josh: wide-eyed and trying to just make it to the next game. I believe he will be a very strong member of the team in the future but does need time to grow. 

He has all of the physical attributes required and will only get bigger, stronger and faster. As with the team in general this year, this year was only about growth and he showed it at times. Now to build on that...for Edmunds and the team overall. 

7 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

One thing I noticed with Edmunds is that he struggled when coaches game planned to attack him. It's no surprise that Hoodie saw a young linebacker and threw the playbook at him, it's why he wins so much. As for how important age is, that's completely up to the individual. Look at hockey. Some players like Eichel are able to come in and start right away at 18 years old. Others, like Reinhardt need some time in the AHL before they're ready to play with the big boys. Football doesn't have a minor league, just college ball, but that individual adjustment rate is still there. Difference is he has no choice but to play at the NFL level once he's drafted. 

Belichick game plans based on matchups.  I think other coaches may take into account the other team as a whole, but matchups are something the try to deal with after the broader concepts are established.  I think Belichick goes into the planning room asking who the players are on the other team and "What can we do to take advantage."  That's the first question that gets asked.

7 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

A hockey comparison? <_<

When does Free Agency start again? Heck, I'd take a discussion about the Combine or even the Pro Bowl at this point. :lol: