Allen is NOT inaccurate unless Baker, Lamar, Darnold, Rosen, 2017 Watson & 2016 Wentz are, too

13 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Great work and probably gives you a much better feel for all of the rookie quarterbacks. I have tried watching at least 3-4 games of each of the other quarterbacks but have not watched every single pass for the entire year and charted each of them. Excellent work. 

As much as some may say you are a biased Bills fan, one could also say that much of the media analysis has been biased against Allen. His “lack of accuracy” is a regular topic of discussion and has been focused on more than any of the other quarterbacks. When Allen throws a bad pass it is quickly put on Twitter so that he can be made fun of while I have seen bad passes from the other rookies that never get criticized. The analytics guys are especially invested in Allen’s failure so they can be equally biased when charting throws. 

Really good points!

5 hours ago, Veneno said:

This dude here is probably the biggest homer I seen on the internet.  Darnolds had more TD than INT and almost hit 60% as a rookie.  Allen barely hit the 50% throwing more INT than TD.  Allen is great RB and a terrible passer and if you dont see it, you are a homer.   Darnolds pocket awareness and progression is light and day compare to Allen. Look up Parcells's famous phrase "you are what your record say you are" and stop making excuse.

Who is this Darnolds you speak of?

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You seem slow

This.

Why do we care about accuracy?

For me, the most successful Coach of all-time said the top two things he looks for in a Quarterback are decision making and accuracy. 

Josh Allen won’t be a rookie next season. He has all offseason to watch tape, will take all the reps in OTA’s, won’t have to look over his shoulder, all the cliche’s that Bills fans use.

So does that mean Allen will improve his production in a way that translates to wins? 

Because next season we should be winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Even those balls he is completing to wide open receivers are inaccurate. All the other 4 have had more accurate balls fall incomplete than many of Jackson's completions. 

It just doesn't make sense to call a completed pass inaccurate.

As other posters have said, it's precision vs accuracy.

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Accuracy is the single most important attribute of an NFL QB. Period. I'll grant you that it is not the only one or even the only necessary one for success, but that's just the way it is and Allen does not have accuracy. You either wake up with that or you don't and Josh doesn't. Sorry.

Call it "precision" or "accuracy". Whatever you like. He throws off target even when receivers are just a few feet away. On deep throws, he often missed by several yards. He forces receivers to adjust to the ball and make difficult catches and often robs them of the ability to make more RAC yards. Flame away all you want. I'm just telling it like it is.

But you aren't telling it like it is. You just aren't.

I really do think there's a natural "grass is always greener on the other side" thing going here. That along with this extreme media push that Allen is inaccurate. Allen has head scratching throws, but so does literally every other QB in the NFL. 

I watched every single Allen pass along with 4 other apparently more accurate rookie QBs.

Allen does have accuracy. 

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

After watching some of these playoff games this past weekend with some of the best QBs in the league; I saw quite a few woeful throws and I kept thinking if Josh had thrown a ball like that, he would be skewered by the commentators and others alike based on a narrative.  Only thing he can do is throw and play his way out of that narrative.  Winning cures most things.

Yet, the grass is always greener...

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the drop video.  If Beane and McDermott want to be the brilliant QB evaluators and tank to riches gurus for picking the next Bills HOF QB and inaugural Lombardi hoistsr, they better get him some top notch WRs and a TE.  THIS OFF SEASON.  Overpay if you have to. We got the bucks.

We invested heavily in him.  Not getting him quality help would be like buying a Bentley and putting cheap gas in it and not changing the oil and running over mailboxes while hotrorodding it around town.

Edited by reddogblitz

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I watched the drop video.  If Beane and McDermott want to be the brilliant QB evaluators and tank to riches gurus for picking the next Bills HOF QB and inaugural Lombardi hoistsr, they better get him some top notch WRs and a TE.  THIS OFF SEASON.  Overpay if you have to. We got the bucks.

We invested heavily in him.  Not getting him quality help would be like buying a Bentley and putting cheap gas in it and not changing the oil and running over mailboxes while hotrorodding it around town.

I wonder if TE is more pressing.

I actually have some optimism about Zay, Foster and McKenzie.

I have very little about our TEs.

I'm not saying to not pursue a legit #1 or #2 WR. I'm saying we definitely don't have a #1 TE, which is a position that has become one of the most important in the NFL for young QBs in particular.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Veneno said:

This dude here is probably the biggest homer I seen on the internet.  Darnolds had more TD than INT and almost hit 60% as a rookie.  Allen barely hit the 50% throwing more INT than TD.  Allen is great RB and a terrible passer and if you dont see it, you are a homer.   Darnolds pocket awareness and progression is light and day compare to Allen. Look up Parcells's famous phrase "you are what your record say you are" and stop making excuse.

this guy came right out of the gate with anger!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

this guy came right out of the gate with anger!

I am only guessing, but as an expert in metaphysics, I suspect it is reincarnation angst. He was angry in his past life and just got here. First thing he does is look in the mirror only to discover the same ugly mug. That's got to be disappointing.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am only guessing, but as an expert in metaphysics, I suspect it is reincarnation angst. He was angry in his past life and just got here. First thing he does is look in the mirror only to discover the same ugly mug. That's got to be disappointing.

anger that intense certainly needs a catalyst.  

17 hours ago, Veneno said:

whats funny about this is that allen had a better win% than darnold this year. 

17 hours ago, Veneno said:

This dude here is probably the biggest homer I seen on the internet. 

Look up Parcells's famous phrase "you are what your record say you are" and stop making excuse.

First off, that’s a bold claim for someone who’s been on here for less than two weeks. Are you a closet Jets fan? 

Second, Josh Allen is 5-6 as a starter. Sam Darnold is 4-9 as a starter.  You are what your record says you are indeed. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

First off, that’s a bold claim for someone who’s been on here for less than two weeks. Are you a closet Jets fan? 

Second, Josh Allen is 5-6 as a starter. Sam Darnold is 4-9 as a starter.  You are what your record says you are indeed. 

Allen and Darnold still have a long ways to go in terms of what their final product is. Darnold to me (Thus far as a rookie) looks like a less dynamic mobility Jamis Winston, lots of big throws but lots of sloppy play and mistakes. He can throw for 400 yards and 3 TD or throw for 4 INT's in any given game. Allen on the other hand looks more like Cam Newton but less dynamic in the passing game. 

Both players have a long way to go, I honestly wouldn't mind having either player to try and build a team around the next 2 years. Both could be top 5 QB's in the league both could be busts. I honestly do have a slight favor towards Allen because I think Allen has the tools to be much more dynamic.

I'm not negative about Allen but I'm still waiting for the "debunking."  The OP only said that - according to his personal analysis - Allen may have been more accurate than the other rookie QBs last season.

Well, last season is over the other rooks don't provide a good benchmark.  We'd like to see Allen in the same class as Brees, Rodgers, Brady.   And I think it's plain to anyone who's been around football that Allen isn't there yet.  He absolutely does need to get better with his accuracy - among other things.  We're all hoping he will.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not negative about Allen but I'm still waiting for the "debunking."  The OP only said that - according to his personal analysis - Allen may have been more accurate than the other rookie QBs last season.

Well, last season is over the other rooks don't provide a good benchmark.  We'd like to see Allen in the same class as Brees, Rodgers, Brady.   And I think it's plain to anyone who's been around football that Allen isn't there yet.  He absolutely does need to get better with his accuracy - among other things.  We're all hoping he will.

I don't think many would argue with what you say.   However, the real point of the original post is that there is a continuing and popular narrative about Allen since before the draft, and that is that Allen is not an accurate thrower.    Putting aside how you might define accuracy and what you might think is the best evidence of accuracy, the fact is that what is said about regularly about Allen and not said about the other rookies is that Allen must work on his accuracy. 

What the OP's analysis shows (doesn't exactly prove, since we can argue about methodology, what's important, etc.) is that a very good argument can be made that Allen is not particularly inaccurate when compared to the other rookies.   He wasn't seeking to prove that Allen is very accurate or even just accurate enough.  What he has shown, pretty effectively, I think, is that if people think Allen is inaccurate, then those people should be saying the same thing about each of the other rookies.   But no one is complaining about the accuracy of the other rookie QBs.  

The point is that either (1) all of the rookies have an accuracy problem and all of their coaches and fans should be concerned or (2) Allen's accuracy problem is largely a myth, generated by the talking heads running up to the draft and, as often happens, continues despite actual performance.   People look at the completion percentage and conclude that what they heard about Allen's accuracy must be true.  

I don't think Allen has an accuracy problem.   I didn't see a guy regularly missing receivers, and I didn't see a guy regularly hurting the receiver's chances to make runs after the catch.   I certainly didn't see receivers turning inaccurate throws into receptions with spectacular catches.   I saw a guy who makes an occasional bad throw and a guy who could improve his precision on some throws, but not a guy who has a problem that should keep him from succeeding in the NFL.  

And I think the data set forth in the OP kind of confirms that.  Nobody's howling "accuracy" about any of the other rookies, and Allen did about the same things those guys did.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1