Sully, Bucky and Sal Maiorana Talk Patriots Destruction Of The Chargers

4 hours ago, bills11 said:

The only thing for certain is Gus Bradley's gameplan was horrendous. The chargers essentially sat back in zone all game which resulted in Brady being as comfortable in the pocket as I've seen him since 2007 .

If you're going to sit back against Brady the coverage better perfect or your d line better be able to generate pressure neither happened hence the blowout .

despite chargers having plenty of talent ..gameplan reminded me of the bills 1st game vs Ravens and 1st half vs chargers before McDermott took over the playcalling sitting back in cover 2/3 no pressure getting picked apart by flacco and rivers clearly bills weren't 40 pts worse than ravens.

Tom Brady has been a starting QB in the NFL for 18 years.

You would think that defensive coordinators have enough film (probably 300 games counting regular season and playoffs) to know the best way to play against Brady.  But nope.  Every season, you see these brilliant coaches attempt to play a soft zone coverage against New England. 

"We will give Brady the short stuff," they say.  "Just make sure we don't get beat over the top.  What could go wrong?"

I've gotten to the point that when a New England game is on, I just watch how the defenders play against Julian Edelman (or whoever is playing slot receiver) on the first 1-2 drives.  If they give him a free-release at the line of scrimmage and a 4-5 yard cushion, you can guarantee the Patriots will score at least 35-40 points that game.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fans do need to stop complaining about the Patriots.  They have a better owner, a better coaching staff (who knows the rules better than anyone) and a better team than most teams, if not all teams, in the league.

It's pure jealousy.

so what you're really saying is you're a closet patsie*** fan. okay then. as for hating on them, I don't give a ***** if they're the best, I HATE them more then anything I have ever hated. always have, always will.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so what you're really saying is you're a closet patsie*** fan. okay then. as for hating on them, I don't give a ***** if they're the best, I HATE them more then anything I have ever hated. always have, always will.

I hate them, too, man.  One can acknowledge greatness without being a fan.  That's where I am.

11 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Listened to the Bucky and Sully Show on 1270 AM in Buffalo.  Some real interesting points.

- Sully said Bills fans need to stop complaining about the Patriots.  He said that as a Red Sox as a fan in the 1970’s, he’d always cheer for the Yankees after they beat the Sox.  Fans shouldn’t be happy rooting for another team’s misery.  Bucky said he has Patriots fatigue.  

- Sal is sick of the Patriots but said it was no surprise that New England took a dump all over San Diego.  All 3 hosts trash Gus Bradley’s defensive plan and Sal said he knew SD would get destroyed by Brady.

- Oddly enough Bucky praised Gronkowski and said he had one of his best games as a Patriots (1 catch for 25 yards!?!?).  As said San Diego sucks because they couldn’t even stop a 32 year-old Julian Edelman.

- Talk switches to how team won with running the ball last week and why the run game isn’t dead in a passing league.  Sal says you can find running backs anywhere as evidence by CJ Anderson, and that the Bills should definitely move on from McCoy.

Good segment that you can hear below:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bucky-and-sully-show/id1442870374?mt=2&i=1000427633267

He has to be the only Sox fan that does that. No true Sox or Yankees would root for the other after losing to them. As a Mets fan that'd be like me rooting for the Phillies, Braves, Nats, Marlins. Hell, I still despise the Giants and Dodgers, so, I root against them as well. One of the best elements of being a fan of a team is also having villains that go against your team of interest. It's fun to root against in our perceived minds the "bad guy".  

Personally, I don't like the Pats mainly due to their fans along with the Jets, Phins, Cowgirls, and Giants.  We have some pats fans that dwell here and they  come across as condescending when talking to the Bills fans just because their team has been dominant it's almost as they feel whatever they a spew out their pie hole is gold, and since our team has been doo doo butter for the past 18 years we have no clue. 

But, let's be real for second the entire division has been shot. The closest thing to a franchise QB during the Brady/BB era has been Chad Pennington, and maybe one yeah of Bledsoe with us in 2002. Yet, he still couldn't get it done in 2004 with that defense. 

2dqk5jk.jpg

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

You would have to pay me to listen to that "show".

I hate to admit it but Bucky and Sully are better than 90% of what's on WGR. They get good guests. They cover better topics. I couldn't stand those two as BN writers but I have to admit they make great radio.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, iinii said:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda......

sour grape it all you want. We may never see this kind of dominance again in the NFL. 

I hope not because the league never fully answered questions about what the Patriots were doing when they videotaped opposing teams practice. Or all the other whispers about what that team does, especially at Gillette stadium. For being such hard-nosed reporters they seem content to just give Belichick and Brady non-stop tongue baths. Never asking the hard questions. Just going along with the league cover-up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

All of the comments on the Chargers defensive game plan are spot on.  Don't play soft zone.  Play press man to man.  If Brady can beat you deep, so be it.  I agree that the game was over on the Pat's second TD.  The other interesting thing is that Bosa and Ingraham did nothing.  The passes were so quick they weren't going to get pressure on the edge.  Again, if you're going to hope to slow down NE offense, you have to get pressure up the middle. 

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

All of the comments on the Chargers defensive game plan are spot on.  Don't play soft zone.  Play press man to man.  If Brady can beat you deep, so be it.  I agree that the game was over on the Pat's second TD.  The other interesting thing is that Bosa and Ingraham did nothing.  The passes were so quick they weren't going to get pressure on the edge.  Again, if you're going to hope to slow down NE offense, you have to get pressure up the middle. 

Indeed.  The Patriots* offensive linemen were content to push Bosa and Ingraham wide on every pass play with the result being the cleanest pocket Brady has seen in awhile.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hope not because the league never fully answered questions about what the Patriots were doing when they videotaped opposing teams practice. Or all the other whispers about what that team does, especially at Gillette stadium. For being such hard-nosed reporters they seem content to just give Belichick and Brady non-stop tongue baths. Never asking the hard questions. Just going along with the league cover-up.

They never taped practices, nor bugged locker rooms. As far as headsets go, the nfl takes care of in game communications.

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Listened to the Bucky and Sully Show on 1270 AM in Buffalo.  Some real interesting points.

- Sully said Bills fans need to stop complaining about the Patriots.  He said that as a Red Sox as a fan in the 1970’s, he’d always cheer for the Yankees after they beat the Sox.  Fans shouldn’t be happy rooting for another team’s misery.  Bucky said he has Patriots fatigue.  

- Sal is sick of the Patriots but said it was no surprise that New England took a dump all over San Diego.  All 3 hosts trash Gus Bradley’s defensive plan and Sal said he knew SD would get destroyed by Brady.

- Oddly enough Bucky praised Gronkowski and said he had one of his best games as a Patriots (1 catch for 25 yards!?!?).  As said San Diego sucks because they couldn’t even stop a 32 year-old Julian Edelman.

- Talk switches to how team won with running the ball last week and why the run game isn’t dead in a passing league.  Sal says you can find running backs anywhere as evidence by CJ Anderson, and that the Bills should definitely move on from McCoy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bucky-and-sully-show/id1442870374?mt=2&i=1000427633267

He is a really good blocker.  That still matters. 

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

1) Why does Sullivan have this ego need to lecture Bills fans on their emotions, so he rooted for his team's arch rival after his team was eliminated, does that somehow make him a "better" or "more enlightened" person.  What an insufferable blowhard he is.

2) so Sal "knew" the SD would get destroyed by Bardy, so since he knew is he on the record saying such before the game?

23 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

They never taped practices, nor bugged locker rooms. As far as headsets go, the nfl takes care of in game communications.

Yes and you know all of this as fact since you are part of the organization , do I have that correct?

2 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

He has to be the only Sox fan that does that. No true Sox or Yankees would root for the other after losing to them. As a Mets fan that'd be like me rooting for the Phillies, Braves, Nats, Marlins. Hell, I still despise the Giants and Dodgers, so, I root against them as well. One of the best elements of being a fan of a team is also having villains that go against your team of interest. It's fun to root against in our perceived minds the "bad guy".  

Personally, I don't like the Pats mainly due to their fans along with the Jets, Phins, Cowgirls, and Giants.  We have some pats fans that dwell here and they  come across as condescending when talking to the Bills fans just because their team has been dominant it's almost as they feel whatever they a spew out their pie hole is gold, and since our team has been doo doo butter for the past 18 years we have no clue. 

But, let's be real for second the entire division has been shot. The closest thing to a franchise QB during the Brady/BB era has been Chad Pennington, and maybe one yeah of Bledsoe with us in 2002. Yet, he still couldn't get it done in 2004 with that defense. 

2dqk5jk.jpg

That graphic embodies nearly the entirety of my football watching life. I'm 31, so Brady started dominating the AFC East when I was a freshman in high school.  

It's effectively what abject football hopelessness feels like.  Tell me again why NFL divisional realignment is a bad idea?  Why have divisions at all?  If every team in the AFC played every other team, I think the playoff matchups would be a lot different.

Let's have some fun with two distinct football conferences/identities.  There could be separate rules for AFC/NFC, like the DH in the American League.

Every team plays each other once, 15 games.  Then you face one NFC team a year, based on ranking, like overall points for/points against/record, whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

This is absolutely correct.   And while I had a soft spot in my heart for the Eagles, I was glad they did not win vs. New Orleans.  For whatever reason, they did not successfully bring pressure up the middle that game.  They consistently allowed New Orleans to gash them and convert on 3rd-and-forever.  Brady would have carved them up like a Christmas Turkey this year, and again for whatever reason - Jeffrey's broken ribs, OG going out with a broken leg - they were not able to "keep up" in a shoot-out.

I do not want to watch a Superbowl analogous to the NE-Chargers game.

2 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

2dqk5jk.jpg

Nice graphic. Also shows how great Peyton Manning was, first with the Colts and then with the Broncos. He was the only guy who really had any moderate success against Brady, besides his brother a couple times in the Superbowl.

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I feel like on this site, certain things are allowed to be advertised on here.

I never understand why threads like this are allowed.  This is a direct advertisement for the show.

How is this any different than an interview recap from WGR?  Some people like to read excerpts and not spend the whole time listening to audio.  I enjoy sharing these notes and people here seem to like to read them.