Report: Joe Philbin has interviewed with Bills

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For what... I’m not sure. 

Philbin would be a great addition to the coaching staff as a positional coach.  Would be nice if they told us what they were interviewing him for though..

I know this wasn't the topic, but how the fudge did Hackett land a job as Packers offensive coordinator?!

edit:  there is already a thread on this which I had not seen yet.  

Edited by berg1029

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think Philbin would be an outstanding hire as offensive line coach. 
He's a well respected leader with head coaching experience. What's not to like?

Sometimes people who have experience several levels up are no longer content to really soak in and give 100% focus and attention to the new job that's one or two steps back.

Frankly, I think that may have been the problem with Robieski.  He was a great WR coach in his time.  Coming off a gig as an OC, perhaps it was hard for him to focus on being a position coach again and not be re-writing the offense in his mind.

There is no real connection here, however Philbin falls in the Mike Sherman tree, Sherman worked very closely with Andy Reid way back when. Just coaching tree connections. 

I'd be okay with Philbin. All I know is that he is a well respected coach. I didn't love his demeanor on those hard knocks shows though. I still prefer Ray Brown. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

I always felt it was bad timing for Philbin, during the interview process for the Dolphins job, his son fell through ice and drowned. I could never understand how he was able to put the energy required for that job while he must have been totally devastated. I always felt bad for him every time I saw him on the sidelines.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I always felt it was bad timing for Philbin, during the interview process for the Dolphins job, his son fell through ice and drowned. I could never understand how he was able to put the energy required for that job while he must have been totally devastated. I always felt bad for him every time I saw him on the sidelines.

Yeah, lost his son after getting the Packers to a 15-1 season as their OC. Talk about coming down to earth - I get why a change of scenery was needed taking the Miami job.

The Bills could do far worse I think.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I think Philbin would be an outstanding hire as offensive line coach. 

He's a well respected leader with head coaching experience. What's not to like?

I mean... do you know anymore than what you just posted? He was a bad HC, never got a second chance. If he isnt an OC he has only moved backwards.

He's old and washed. I can't say if he would be a bad Oline coach, I think most people overestimate their abilities to judge line schemes and coaching. I just would rather hire a guy who's moving up, rather than down.

20 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yeah, lost his son after getting the Packers to a 15-1 season as their OC. Talk about coming down to earth - I get why a change of scenery was needed taking the Miami job.

The Bills could do far worse I think.

I didn't know that, maybe that would change my perspective a bit. That's rough. 

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely. He got that HC job from being a great OC with GB , after getting promoted from OL coach. Very interesting , he could be a nice addition

Or from being the OC to Aaron Rodgers?

What nobody here seems to have mentioned is that he has had an OL gig since his Head Coaching stint. It was in Indianapolis and lasted two seasons.... he was the guy responsible for those lines that were consistently awful. They did add an infusion of talent this last draft of course, but Castonzo was there and he had Ryan Kelly's first two years (good rookie season, regression in year 2 before bouncing back this year). I am not convinced he is the man to turn this line around in short.

Edited by GunnerBill