Bills' Dion Dawkins feels he’s on ‘hot seat’ after taking foot off gas pedal

YoloinOhio

Just now, WideNine said:

I hear you, but would like to see what a position change and different coaching does for him.

O-linemen are a strange breed. The right coach and they will run through a wall...does not mean that a coach has to be buddies with them, more often than not that kind of relationship with players is too familiar and does not translate to better development or play on the field. 

Even considering the steps Dawkins took backwards, he was still the best o-linemen we had out there last year. I also think it helps to have players pushing for your spot - so who was pushing Dawkins with Glenn gone? There is a reason he got complacent and comfortable with his friendly coach and less than competitive UFA o-line peers.

They gave Foster another chance to turn it around...sometimes 2nd chances works if the conditions change.

Can't disagree with this at all. I was never a fan of the Glenn trade. I understood it to an extent but stacking talent isn't a bad thing when you could have a starting tackle on a rookie contract. 

The only way I'd be really disappointed with Dawkins, and the staff is if they had to move him inside to guard after trading away a tackle. It'll be just us chasing a tackle all over again.

8 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Can't disagree with this at all. I was never a fan of the Glenn trade. I understood it to an extent but stacking talent isn't a bad thing when you could have a starting tackle on a rookie contract. 

The only way I'd be really disappointed with Dawkins, and the staff is if they had to move him inside to guard after trading away a tackle. It'll be just us chasing a tackle all over again.

Dawkins originally was projected as a guard or right tackle, if they picked up another LT in the draft who could also play guard you have flexibility on that left side in case of injuries.... I don't want them to "chase" any position, but more depth on the left side would not hurt.

The Glenn trade also allowed them to move up and take Allen.

11 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If he took his foot off the gas then lets get rid of him as well.  

We already had one fat lazy man and sent him to Jax.  Either you put in the work or you go.  One bad apple ruins the bunch.

Lots of players regress in their second year after a successful rookie season because they feel as though they have it figured out and it will be "easy" to maintain. That is not enough to release a talented player.  The question now is what he will do with it now that he recognized what happened.  

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lots of players regress in their second year after a successful rookie season because they feel as though they have it figured out and it will be "easy" to maintain. That is not enough to release a talented player.  The question now is what he will do with it now that he recognized what happened.  

I think Incognito’s departure was a big factor as well. He had really taken him under his wing last year, and losing the vet stability next to him on the field had to have an impact. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I heard some analysts talking about OL and how it’s one of the most coveted positions in the nfl (not just LT, any position on the OL) and it’s at the point where any really good ones do not hit FA. They said you really need to build it through the draft. I haven’t studied the current list of FAs this year but the comment makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He could be an All Pro LG.

The few times he replaced Incognito as a rookie he looked tremendous there.

Not nearly as impressive at LT.

Thought it when he was drafted and still think it now. You can get by with him at LT, he is certainly not a disaster..... but he is just kind of average. I think he'd be an absolute stud at LG. The way the FA and Draft market for OL looks though I think improving the guard play will be easier. But if they ended up with Dawkins at LG next year there would be no complaints from me.

You have made the point before Badol - and there is probably some truth in it - the issue is more how would he feel about being moved to a less high $$s spot on the line two years before FA? Would depend how much he was willing to bet on himself at LG I suspect. There are 15 LTs earning $10m+ per year and only 9 Guards.

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like he could be moved to RT or G depending on who we acquire. As in, they won’t look at only the other positions on the line to upgrade. That’s the right idea. 

Yeah, someone must've told him they were looking at moving him to guard and he knew what that meant for his next contract.

8 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I predict if Dawkins moves to LG he makes multiple pro bowls and gets the "10 M per year" contract anyways. I would't mind poaching Trent Brown from the pats to allow this move......

No way Brown leaves the Patriots, Tom Brady would just add a year to his contract and get paid under the table with his vitamin company that Kraft is heavily invested in. We need to test our new destroyer rail gun on Gillette stadium, the Patriots need to be destroyed.

FYI I call Josh Allens arm the Rail Gun., we call my buddy that too but for different reasons.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, someone must've told him they were looking at moving him to guard and he knew what that meant for his next contract.

True but it seems like Interior OL are getting almost as pricey as OTs now. He could get a bigger contract if he becomes a premium OG then a mediocre LT.

Edited by YoloinOhio

that Va Tech rookie to RG, dawkins to LG, 2 FA starters, and a highish drafted rookie and we have our sick O Line.

draft BPA, sign a TE and one big time WR (trade a future pick for Julio maybe?) and we win the offseason.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You have made the point before Badol - and there is probably some truth in it - the issue is more how would he feel about being moved to a less high $$s spot on the line two years before FA? Would depend how much he was willing to bet on himself at LG I suspect. There are 15 LTs earning $10m+ per year and only 9 Guards.

Was having this discussion with Bill from NYC on pm..............I give McD credit for getting out in front of the matter with Dawkins.

McD has obviously been very clear with him about where he stands relative to their expectations........accountable at least in part for his coach getting canned.......he's put the responsibility for any change of position on Dawkins rather than waiting for another year to pass and getting into a pissing match about it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Always felt Dawkins had a high character,  I just don't think he's a true LT. And Castillo did very little helping out the other guys. Slide Dion to RT and draft Jonah or a FA.

Am I dreaming this, or did he struggle at RT as a rookie trying to reverse all the mechanics? Not that it couldn’t be overcome, but I seem to recall some difficulties there. Was he a LT in college, I assume? 

I pray Teller turns out to be starting caliber. One less hole to fill. No idea where they all land, just add some talent and coach them up to be a strength rather than a pitiful weakness.