Bills' Dion Dawkins feels he’s on ‘hot seat’ after taking foot off gas pedal

YoloinOhio

This is the next in a series analyzing the Buffalo Bills’ most significant questions entering the offseason. Part 9: Is Dion Dawkins a legitimate starter at left tackle?

Dion Dawkins doesn’t need anyone to tell him he didn’t perform nearly as well in his second season with the Bills as he did in his first.

He’s more than willing to rip his own performance to shreds.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/14/buffalo-bills-dion-dawkins-juan-castillo-temple-university-nfl-football-vic-carucci/

Carucci says it was widely speculated that Castillo shouldered the blame for Dawkins’ struggles:

Dawkins expresses remorse for Castillo’s firing. He also emphatically defends the work of his former position coach.

“Juan is a great coach and if it wasn't for Juan, my rookie season would have never been the way that it was,” Dawkins said. “Juan changed the entire way that I pass set and that run-block and that I think. And that second year, I just kind of thought, 'OK, I've got this,' which I really didn't.

• Like (+1) 4

That takes alot for a player but any man in general to do.  Admit your own weakness and failures.  I am pleasantly surprised by this and I would be confident moving forward with at tackle after it.  If he attacks the offense and gets better, the line will be better. 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/14/buffalo-bills-dion-dawkins-juan-castillo-temple-university-nfl-football-vic-carucci/

Carucci says it was widely speculated that Castillo shouldered the blame for Dawkins’ struggles:

Makes sense.

The message was clear..........Juan wasn't getting the expected results out of the players.

They liked him and all and liked hanging out at his house and stuff(I imagine McD didn't love that) but they weren't giving him full effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good article. Dawkins has everything to be a great leader IF he can get his play to match his character. 

I’m sure the coaches will tell Dawkins if he wants to be a LT he has to play like one. I want to believe Dawkins learned how hard he has to approach this next season and each game. It would be really nice to have one less spot to fill on the line.

seems Dawkins liked Juan a lot and feels partially responsible for Juan being fired.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he took his foot off the gas then lets get rid of him as well.  

We already had one fat lazy man and sent him to Jax.  Either you put in the work or you go.  One bad apple ruins the bunch.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

If Allen has an O-line that lets him stand tall in the pocket and throw the ball from a stable base, not running for his life or on designed roll outs to mitigate the rush, I think Allen will take a big step forward next season.  More so than receivers to throw the ball to,  if the O-line can give Allen just one more second for him to read the defense and let a route develop and let him step into a throw and not be forced to throw off his back foot or on the run I think the "accuracy" issues go away.

Having a clean pocket to throw from every now and then doesn't seem like too much to ask for.  Beane needs to get it done.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sounds like he could be moved to RT or G depending on who we acquire. As in, they won’t look at only the other positions on the line to upgrade. That’s the right idea. 

He could be an All Pro LG.

The few times he replaced Incognito as a rookie he looked tremendous there.

Not nearly as impressive at LT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If he feels that way, he needs to spend the offseason getting stronger and leaner, especially if he wants to play left tackle. He looks a bit overweight/soft and that is something easily improved with strength and conditioning.

Call McDermott and let him know.  Maybe he’s unaware 

So he thought OK, I've got this, then got torn up for 6 months and now he needs to change? And some of you still praise this guy? Because he admitted it?

He got complacent way too easily. Not a fan of his attitude. He'll never be great. I've defended him, but those quotes are bad.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He should feel like he’s on the hot seat.  He sucked this year.  I hope we draft a starting tackle and sign a starting tackle while moving him to guard. 

He's young and made a mistake - it happens. That being said, i don't know if watching Juan taking the fall is a learning experience.

The Bills should draft someone who can play LT and move him to guard...if nothing else, it sends the right message about work ethic and may light a fire under him.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

He's young and made a mistake - it happens. That being said, i don't know if watching Juan taking the fall is a learning experience.

The Bills should draft someone who can play LT and move him to guard...if nothing else, it sends the right message about work ethic and may light a fire under him.

He made a year long mistake. His quotes are worse than the crime to me. You can have a down year, but it sounds like he gets easily complacent. As a professional athlete, that can't happen, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

That takes alot for a player but any man in general to do.  Admit your own weakness and failures.  I am pleasantly surprised by this and I would be confident moving forward with at tackle after it.  If he attacks the offense and gets better, the line will be better. 

No kidding. That takes some balls. I wouldn't think less of a player that keeps this to himself with head down knowing he needs to do better without having to go public unsolicited about that.

So weird. The cynical part of me sees a PR move so everybody can say "wow, what a mature self aware man" lol

Kind of like Rodgers talking about his role in McCarthy's firing haha. So phony. Totally different players/situations/visibility, but that's what it reminds me of is all.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He made a year long mistake. His quotes are worse than the crime to me. You can have a down year, but it sounds like he gets easily complacent. As a professional athlete, that can't happen, in my opinion.

I hear you, but would like to see what a position change and different coaching does for him.

O-linemen are a strange breed. The right coach and they will run through a wall...does not mean that a coach has to be buddies with them, more often than not that kind of relationship with players is too familiar and does not translate to better development or play on the field. 

Even considering the steps Dawkins took backwards, he was still the best o-linemen we had out there last year. I also think it helps to have players pushing for your spot - so who was pushing Dawkins with Glenn gone? There is a reason he got complacent and comfortable with his friendly coach and less than competitive UFA o-line peers.

They gave Foster another chance to turn it around...sometimes 2nd chances works if the conditions change.

• Like (+1) 1