Baldinger on Josh Allen's Elite Athleticism

JESSEFEFFER

On 1/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, hemma said:

And the Award for Best Non-Supporting Actor goes to ...........

..................................... John Miller!....................................

I wonder if there are any advanced metrics on failure to block d-line stunts.  it seemed like there were a bunch during the season and usually preceded  a Josh Allen scramble.                            

On 1/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, Nextmanup said:

Discussing Allen's "athleticism" is code for "he's not a very good passer."

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

Packers fans and Aaron Rodgers himself?

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says he wants to play until 40 without losing any of his athletic ability. 'My goal is to be able to move like I do or close to how I do and still be able to do that at 40 … just because nobody’s been able to do that and still move around the same,' Rodgers told King ..."

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=kuxBXODIJMXk-Aaz6K2QCA&q=aaron+rodgers+athleticism&btnK=Google+Search&oq=aaron+rodgers+athleticism&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2198.7596..8229...1.0..0.128.2320.22j4......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..35i39j0j0i10j0i22i30j0i8i13i30j0i13i30j33i21j33i160.8_sVYITTfBY

Hell, even Brady talks about Rodgers that way. "'Well I think he does things that no one in the league has ever done or can do, just because of his physical ability. And some of the plays he makes, they're just phenomenal,' Brady said. 'And I've seen a lot of them. Not just the throws, the scrambles, he had one in the Giants game ... some of the plays yesterday, it's just his style of play. And he's been doing that for a while. I always love watching his tape, admiring all the things he can do, because I can't do many of those things.'"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-gushes-over-aaron-rodgers-i-cant-do-many-of-those-things/

And of course they don't talk about the other three you picked as athletic, because they're not especially athletic. But Rodgers really is. And gets talked about that way. As did Steve Young. As do Russell Wilson, Marcus Mariota and Andrew Luck. It's not code for anything but being athletic.

And yeah, some people say Allen's got problems in the passing game. But they don't need to use code to do it. Hopefully he'll develop out of it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, billsfan1959 said:

Actually, Rogers’ athleticism is frequently talked about. The other three, while having elite pocket presence, don’t have a level of athleticism worth talking about.

Brees' athleticism is also an asset.  Only Brady and Manning are the prototypical "statues" who are just so good mentally and mechanically they get away with their lack of athleticism.

Anyway, the post you responded to was a dumb one.

• Like (+1) 1

It's nice having elite athletes on your team, but I just wish we had an elite QB instead. I just hope he can find a way to get better accuracy from his throwing arm to go along with his arm strength. I've never seen that done, though. Maybe Josh will be the first ever. Arm accuracy is something that you either wake up with or you don't. Can Josh Allen be the exception to the rule?

If Josh Allen can develop his passing game to a level of Matt Ryan, I think he will win a few SB's for us in the near future. Can you imagine how unstoppable Matt Ryan would be with Allens athleticism. This all depends on how we draft and do in FA but if Allen can develop quickly we have a small chance to be that team that comes out of nowhere and win it all.

On January 16, 2019 at 8:24 PM, Jeetz1231 said:

I don't remember what game it was but i'm pretty sure Brees juked a LB to score or put him on the spin cycle, Bress is underrated when it comes to athleticism 

I think Foster can be that guy.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. See Chad Pennington too as an example.