Baldinger on Josh Allen's Elite Athleticism

JESSEFEFFER

We often talk about the "eye test" and my "eye test" assessment of Josh is he has done things in ways that I have never seen from a QB prior to him.  The hurdle play for instance.  Never seen it over a mostly upright defender who happens to be 6'5".  The throw to Zay Jones in the back of the end zone that Josh makes off his back leg but without his front leg planted.  That is a jump pass off of a rollout that goes 30+ yards.   That's the throw a SS makes from the hole to second base but his throw is a blur of a football.  The stiff arms of defenders who can't even get their hands on his torso, let alone make a tackle.  Defenders do not run him down from behind.  It's one thing to say a player is athletic.  It's another to put together dozens of plays from only 11 games of action that fall into the realm of "never seen it done like that before."   He even manages to run QB sneaks in ways that stand out.  So I think Baldinger's statement about being more athletic than every other NFL QB is spot on.

• Like (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Jim Kelly was good enough to be recruited to play LB and LBU (Pittsburgh) but choose to go to University of Miami (North Cuba) because he wanted to play QB.  He was not a running QB but could move well enough to dodge players until knee injuries.

Assuming this is at Line Backer U, that's Penn State not Pitt.  JoePa wanted him to play LB, Jim said no.

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

That's just not a true statement. 

And people never talked about Brady, Manning, or Brees' athleticism because they possess none (Brady, Manning) or very little (Brees). 

Commentators have been noting Rodgers's athleticism for a long time. 

A guy named Russell Wilson too. He's a good passer, or so I hear.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Discussing Allen's "athleticism" is code for "he's not a very good passer."

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

Umm everybody talker about Rodgers athleticism for the first 10 years of his career ...

he was the best at scrambling outside the pocket and creating a play downfield 

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Discussing Allen's "athleticism" is code for "he's not a very good passer."

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

You know it's only a matter of time before the Michael Jordan of the NFL shows up. A guy who can pass as good as Brady, Brees and Rodgers but has wheels like Mike Vick. Not Saying Allen will be that guy but a guy like that will come around eventually.

And Allen isn't a running QB. He's a QB that can run. And he can run at an efficiency we've perhaps never seen before.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t take it AWAY, but curtail it to a significant degree. I almost threw up a few times as he got bent backwards taking hits downfield. The guy must have Gumby knees! Be smart....QB first and foremost, run as the rare exception. 

I don't think that was the case really. Most of the hits he took were inside the red zone I thought. Looking to try to score. Maybe earlier in the season he took a lot of hits outside the red zone? But it seemed like after the bye he was gaining huge chunks of yards with ease and just as easily sliding and giving himself up early.

16 hours ago, WideNine said:

All watching that did at first was piss me off as I watched play after play where Miller and Mills slowly evolved out of their stances, managed to get tangled up with each other blocking/holding the same guy while other pass rushers blew by them.

Miller was horrifying, and at least Boettger when they finally made the switch seemed to lock onto his guy, moved his feet, and sometimes got some push which allowed Mills to focus solely on not getting beat on the outside every play. Against the Fins (I know - the run for the bus was on) they almost looked respectable in pass-pro.

The kid grew over the season with the playing time he received, needs a bit more support around him to really shine and settle into his role but I think we have a keeper.

That was the theme of the video. Watching olineman get burnt and have pressure on the QB before 2 seconds. They could have been replaced by a pylon in a few of those clips. It’s actually amazing what Allen did with that supporting cast. Most of those guys will be out of the NFL next season.

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You know it's only a matter of time before the Michael Jordan of the NFL shows up. A guy who can pass as good as Brady, Brees and Rodgers but has wheels like Mike Vick. Not Saying Allen will be that guy but a guy like that will come around eventually.

And Allen isn't a running QB. He's a QB that can run. And he can run at an efficiency we've perhaps never seen before.

I hope he is, that would be amazing. He has a chance to be that good. 

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't think that was the case really. Most of the hits he took were inside the red zone I thought. Looking to try to score. Maybe earlier in the season he took a lot of hits outside the red zone? But it seemed like after the bye he was gaining huge chunks of yards with ease and just as easily sliding and giving himself up early.

I still remember the sensation of my stomach contents rising. He got better about sliding or running OB, but there were several instances where he got bent backward awkwardly in the second half of the season. I was thrilled to see him get up each time......but all it takes is once. 

Just now, Augie said:

I still remember the sensation of my stomach contents rising. He got better about sliding or running OB, but there were several instances where he got bent backward awkwardly in the second half of the season. I was thrilled to see him get up each time......but all it takes is once. 

To put it simply he did slide more in the back half of the season in the front half he jumped over a guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Baldy is right. He's one of the most athletic qbs in the NFL. The video just validated the kind of pressure he was under. He'll have an improved oline this fall. He won't have to run as often.  But it sure is comforting to know when he does it could be for huge yardage. The obsession over his accuracy will die down.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

It is just pure fun to think about how much better next year may be.  If JA continues to progress and stay healthy it might just be a very fun season in Buffalo for the first time in a very long time. 

We gotta get him a line, and at least one of those WR who come back for the ball consistently and catch everything thrown near them like, oh, I don't know, about every WR on every team still playing last weekend.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We gotta get him a line, and at least one of those WR who come back for the ball consistently and catch everything thrown near them like, oh, I don't know, about every WR on every team still playing last weekend.

He needs his Tanner Gentry type player that he had at Wyoming. A guy that when he scrambles avoiding defenders and starts pointing down field he is able to somehow connect with.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And in fact one of Baldy's first examples is JA hanging tough in the pocket for a 45 yd pass play to Foster when he's about to get gob-smacked into a sandwich.  Very reminiscent of Jim Kelly Tough.

Brady and Manning aren't/weren't.

Brees....he doesn't tuck it and run much but he's one hella slippery little mutha to tackle.

I don't remember what game it was but i'm pretty sure Brees juked a LB to score or put him on the spin cycle, Bress is underrated when it comes to athleticism 

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He needs his Tanner Gentry type player that he had at Wyoming. A guy that when he scrambles avoiding defenders and starts pointing down field he is able to somehow connect with.

I think Foster can be that guy.

How can any bills fan watch that and not get pumped for next year?  Josh was a one man show (well him and Robert foster).  Get josh some protection and some playmakers and watch his development.  Josh, and that video has me more hopeful for next season than any bills team since the 90s

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I saw a number of WRs who came back for the ball and caught it before line of scrimmage and then attempted to make yards.  This is something which was criticized extensively by the experts on TBD.