Baldinger on Josh Allen's Elite Athleticism

JESSEFEFFER

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Discussing Allen's "athleticism" is code for "he's not a very good passer."

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

Brees and Rodgers Athleticism was discussed plenty when they were younger and as for the other two, they would have to be athletic to discuss it.

Youre probably one of those guys who ignores all the positives concerning Allen.  There are plenty as a passer.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

It's actually a code phrase for, "He made plays when his own teammates weren't doing much of anything to help out."  Clips should offensive linemen not maintaining protection and wide receivers not demonstrating the awareness to come back to the ball when protection broke down.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Don't think this video has been linked previously.  He is definitely impressed by what Josh has shown.  These clips mostly feature what Josh did when the protection broke down.

Why-Josh-Allen-is-an-elite-athlete-at-QB

Thanks for providing the link!  I found the video to be highly complimentary to Allen, especially his passing game.  I suspect that as more of these guys take the time to actually watch the games Allen played in after his injury they will have similar conclusions as Baldy did - that this kid is a special talent on the verge of exploding onto the NFL scene.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ??

People talk about Rodgers and his athleticism all the time. Because he is athletic. Brady, Manning, and Brees aren't.

46 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Jim Kelly and athleticism? Never heard those two words put together, but I wasn't really around for the 80's. 

That's because athleticism doesn't mean a persons ability to run.  I feel like you are thinking that Allen being able to run is athleticism and it's only a part of it.  Kelly would shake tackles and hang tough in the pocket looking downfield all while being hit by guys and still making a play.

That's what they mean.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Jim Kelly and athleticism? Never heard those two words put together, but I wasn't really around for the 80's. 

Jim Kelly was good enough to be recruited to play LB and LBU (Pittsburgh) but choose to go to University of Miami (North Cuba) because he wanted to play QB.  He was not a running QB but could move well enough to dodge players until knee injuries.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Jim Kelly was good enough to be recruited to play LB and LBU (Pittsburgh) but choose to go to University of Miami (North Cuba) because he wanted to play QB.  He was not a running QB but could move well enough to dodge players until knee injuries.

Yeah. I didn't really start watching NFL football until 89 and I never thought of him as even remotely athletic. I'm sure he was much more spry in his early years.

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's because athleticism doesn't mean a persons ability to run.  I feel like you are thinking that Allen being able to run is athleticism and it's only a part of it.  Kelly would shake tackles and hang tough in the pocket looking downfield all while being hit by guys and still making a play.

That's what they mean.

And in fact one of Baldy's first examples is JA hanging tough in the pocket for a 45 yd pass play to Foster when he's about to get gob-smacked into a sandwich.  Very reminiscent of Jim Kelly Tough.

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

People talk about Rodgers and his athleticism all the time. Because he is athletic. Brady, Manning, and Brees aren't.

Brady and Manning aren't/weren't.

Brees....he doesn't tuck it and run much but he's one hella slippery little mutha to tackle.

• Like (+1) 2

And unlike some QBs (Allen is like Kelly in that way) he did not curl up in a ball before contact.

Plenty of times he would block for a RB or as part of reverse or some other trickery.

He hated players who intercepted his balls as Anthony Phillips learned and would tackle as well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's what they mean.

You're referring to strength, which is part of athleticism. Kind of like a Big Ben. It's also been said that Tom Brady is the most elusive QB in the NFL because he's so adept as sliding around perfectly in the pocket to find the right launch spot. I guess it depends on your definition of athleticism.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And in fact one of Baldy's first examples is JA hanging tough in the pocket for a 45 yd pass play to Foster when he's about to get gob-smacked into a sandwich.  Very reminiscent of Jim Kelly Tough.

Exactly.  I haven't seen a QB in a long time try has hard as Kelly did to make a play.  Granted he has made some bad ones but I'd rather have a guy trying to make a play rather than seeing no one is opened and laying down on the field.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

You're referring to strength, which is part of athleticism. Kind of like a Big Ben. It's also been said that Tom Brady is the most elusive QB in the NFL because he's so adept as sliding around perfectly in the pocket to find the right launch spot. I guess it depends on your definition of athleticism.

Brady never gets touched and if he does a flag is thrown.

Him moving around in the pocket is elusiveness.  When was the last time you saw him dive head first into a LB or shake off a tackle (a tackle that the tackler didn't give up on anyways).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sure- you keep believing that. Josh has some work to do, but he has a cannon and with the right coaching etc we all may be pleasantly surprised. His last 6 games of the season were pretty damn good for a rook with no run game, brutal o line and the worst receiving corps in the NFL. I wont try and assess him fully until the end of year 3.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Congratulations, you just won First Prize for Making it Totally Obvious You Never Clicked on the Link.

:oops:

I just watched the video, and that just got funnier.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

All watching that did at first was piss me off as I watched play after play where Miller and Mills slowly evolved out of their stances, managed to get tangled up with each other blocking/holding the same guy while other pass rushers blew by them.

Miller was horrifying, and at least Boettger when they finally made the switch seemed to lock onto his guy, moved his feet, and sometimes got some push which allowed Mills to focus solely on not getting beat on the outside every play. Against the Fins (I know - the run for the bus was on) they almost looked respectable in pass-pro.

The kid grew over the season with the playing time he received, needs a bit more support around him to really shine and settle into his role but I think we have a keeper.

Good stuff!  Thanks for posting this.

Can't wait to see what next year brings.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Gimme a break.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Tom Brady usually has a pocket to slide around in...like a nice safe kiddy pool surrounded by the best o-line.

Josh's pocket is more like getting a single coat of saran wrap then being dropped into a shark tank.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1