Baldinger on Josh Allen's Elite Athleticism

JESSEFEFFER

I love the "keeping Josh Allen in the pocket is like squeezing a hand full of jello" 

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Discussing Allen's "athleticism" is code for "he's not a very good passer."

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

Actually watch that clip or just checking stats there? 

He talked about how his "athleticism" made it capable for him to complete passes or not take sacks. 

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Who the hell talks about Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Brees in terms of "athleticism" ???

Actually, Rogers’ athleticism is frequently talked about. The other three, while having elite pocket presence, don’t have a level of athleticism worth talking about.

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Bills fans will always find the opposite of the a silver lining.

This was actually a compliment to Allen

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He is.  You want to look at it as a back handed compliment sure.  With the oline, running game and wrs I dont think there is a drop back qb who could have gone .500 with this team.  His progress after his apparent.  I'm firmly in the thinking of get him some help and he will carry this team to big heights.  He carried the offense the last half of the season.  Buffalo has not had a Qb who was able to do that with an once of a running game in my adult life.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's just not a true statement. 

And people never talked about Brady, Manning, or Brees' athleticism because they possess none (Brady, Manning) or very little (Brees). 

Commentators have been noting Rodgers's athleticism for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Actually, Rogers’ athleticism is frequently talked about. The other three, while having elite pocket presence, don’t have a level of athleticism worth talking about.

Factually true. He's not capable of putting up the rushing yards that Allen puts up, but people definitely talk about his athleticism. The important thing is to use that athleticism to buy time and find your targets as opposed to tucking and running. I'd be pretty discouraged if Allen was running for even 40 yards a game next season. Not a good long term approach. Ideally, you use that athleticism like Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson more in the passing game than actually taking off.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Factually true. He's not capable of putting up the rushing yards that Allen puts up, but people definitely talk about his athleticism. The important thing is to use that athleticism to buy time and find your targets as opposed to tucking and running. I'd be pretty discouraged if Allen was running for even 40 yards a game next season. Not a good long term approach. Ideally, you use that athleticism like Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson more in the passing game than actually taking off.

I don't disagree but they show how most of the receivers, other than Zay against Miami, run their routes and just look back. 

Buying time doesn't matter if your receivers don't move after they hit their mark. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed, I don’t want Allen running the ball in the future like he did this year, and I would like to see him use that athleticism to find open targets. However, in his defense, a lot of his runs were the right decision (and he actually kept looking to throw as long as he could on many of those runs). He’ll get better with experience and receivers who actually understand how to adjust their routes to help out their QB when he is flushed from the pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why?  As long as he continues to improve in the passing game - why would you want to take that ability away from him.  If the defense is going to give up lanes where he can gain critical first downs and big chunks, take what the defense is giving you.  We all agree we want him to become a more complete passer, but don't take that part of his game away.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agreed, I don’t want Allen running the ball in the future like he did this year, and I would like to see him use that athleticism to find open targets. However, in his defense, a lot of his runs were the right decision (and he actually kept looking to throw as long as he could on many of those runs). He’ll get better with experience and receivers who actually understand how to adjust their routes to help out their QB when he is flushed from the pocket.

Also didn't take many hits, which is important. Russell Wilson almost never gets hit, which is why he's able to stay healthy despite putting up solid rushing numbers. I don't want Allen to stop running entirely because it's an asset. Just prefer to see it less. And the team obviously has to acquire better offensive talent so he has more viable options. We'll be able to more adequately assess his play once the overall talent is upgraded.

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Why?  As long as he continues to improve in the passing game - why would you want to take that ability away from him.  If the defense is going to give up lanes where he can gain critical first downs and big chunks, take what the defense is giving you.  We all agree we want him to become a more complete passer, but don't take that part of his game away.  

I don't want to take it away. Just prefer to see less of it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Don’t take it AWAY, but curtail it to a significant degree. I almost threw up a few times as he got bent backwards taking hits downfield. The guy must have Gumby knees! Be smart....QB first and foremost, run as the rare exception. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't want to take it away. Just prefer to see less of it.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that is what makes him special.  There will be games where he rushes for 10 yds and games where he rushes for close to 100.  I don't have an issue as long as he does it when necessary and protects himself as best he can.  Having a guy who can gain critical first downs or extend plays with his legs is a nice weapon to have.   I think with better weapons and another year of tutelage will change the ratio in favor of using his arm more.   I follow the Chargers too and while Rivers is a good passer, nothing more frustrating than seeing all the yards he leaves on the field or non-conversions because he is so immobile.  Nice to develop a QB who can hopefully master both. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that is what makes him special.  There will be games where he rushes for 10 yds and games where he rushes for close to 100.  I don't have an issue as long as he does it when necessary and protects himself as best he can.  Having a guy who can gain critical first downs or extend plays with his legs is a nice weapon to have.   I think with better weapons and another year of tutelage will change the ratio in favor of using his arm more.   I follow the Chargers too and while Rivers is a good passer, nothing more frustrating than seeing all the yards he leaves on the field or non-conversions because he is so immobile.  Nice to develop a QB who can hopefully master both. 

He's gonna have to continue to run without taking hits, which he does seems particularly good at. Very good slider(I think he had to have played baseball), gets out of bounds, etc. Carson Wentz started getting really run happy before his injury at Los Angeles. He's better than Wentz at avoiding contact, but in a perfect world, he finds an intermediate streaker as opposed to taking off. The receiving group as a whole will have to get better at "staying alive." Don't think we're that far apart here.

Edited by LSHMEAB