GB Packers hire Nate Hackett as OC

YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, Nikademus said:

I think Marrone held Hackett back alot. Always wondered to what degree, but my assumption was it was a high one. I'm very curious to see how this goes. Either way we'll have an answer in the near future

That is kind of my opinion.  Hackett is West Coast, so the Packers offense won't be stuck with having to learn a lot of new terminology.  In general, I think Marrone was a lot more conservative than Hackett.  Also, Buffalo was Hackett's first pro gig, while in Jacksonvill, he was saddled with Blake Bortles as his QB.  At the same time he had highly regarded running backs.  It was a no brainer that the Jaguars were going to try and run the ball a lot.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I gotta say, my first reaction to this news was "so this is how we waste the rest of Aaron Rodgers career"

In defense of the move, I seem to recall that after Marrone left, some players claimed Hackett would draw up creative plays every week and put them in the game plan, and Marrone would never use them.

But overall, my reaction was (to Green Bay): "Good Luck, Cupcake!"

This was my thought as well.  I remember Hackett brought some creative ideas to the Offensive game plan, and wanted to do some of that super hurry up no huddle offense that was all the rage.  That didn't work because we didn't have the talent (mainly QB) to handle it and Marrone suggest to run run run.

I kind of think if you separate the Hackett from the Moron, I mean Marrone, and he might have a better game plan.

The buddy system in the nfl is awful.  Hackett, who only had a job because his dad, should be coaching in college at best.  He is terrible.  There are probably hundreds of innovative coaches who will never get their shot because they don’t know the right people or daddy couldn’t help them.

the worst part is he will do nothing but if Rodgers is Rodgers, he will get talked up. So dumb.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They tried that here ,unfortunately ej was terrible.

They screwed up any chance EJ had by giving him Nate Hackett as his OC and QB coach.  I love this team but they are so dumb.

14 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys think this was a bad move?

who cares what people think on the hiring, I'll let you know if it was a good move in 3 or so years

it probably won't lead to 3 Super Bowls by then

as if fans of this team can command Ex Cathedra on good hirings...

12 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

There will come a time soon where Hackett will be discussed as one of the up and coming offensive minds in the game and he will be considered for Head Coaching vacancies.  Time will tell if it is merited or not but the Sean McVay effect will get him an opportunity.  

"Hi Aaron, I'm the new OC, here's the deal, you run the show 100%"

"i will sit there at the 50 reading a paper and drinking coffee."

He will be a genius

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

There will come a time soon where Hackett will be discussed as one of the up and coming offensive minds in the game and he will be considered for Head Coaching vacancies.  Time will tell if it is merited or not but the Sean McVay effect will get him an opportunity.  

Only if he stood in line behind McVay at Starbucks once 

seriously though - will there be any more coveted job than that of Zac Taylor’s once he goes to Cincy? It’s like they will wrap the contract around a silver spoon when presenting it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

You can make a lot of money in the coaching racket just by knowing the right guys at the right time.  I firmly believe there are better OCs miring away at the FCS level than Hackett.  It's more who you know than what you know.

Yup, it’s sad.  Hell, UB’s coach has a better resume than him.