Marcellus Wiley Story on NPR's "Only a Game"

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He was fun to listen to on LA sports radio. Obviously his career in Buffalo was basically uninspiring, but he does talk often about what he learned from Bruce. His story getting out of Compton and going to Columbia is pretty remarkable. 

He went here for high school:

Related image

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My most vivid Wiley memory is of him on the radio, talking about how, while players like to win, and that it's nice to make the payoffs and things like that, but that the majority of players don't get that emotional about it, and that they what they consider a "good season" is one where they have good stats.

I appreciate his honesty, and fully understand why players would feel that way...but that ain't the guy I would want as a team leader.

Overrated. Over celebrated. 100% personality. His getting out of Compton schtick is fun and all, I didn't listen this time but he went to Columbia.  That's saying something.

And there is a system for guys like him. An old boss told me about it. In the hood there were kids everyone knew were going somewhere and those kids were essentially protected, left alone and promoted all the same. He took the most of what was govern and made his way but as a player he was 100% about his marketing of himself.