The more I look at this...we could end up keeping McCoy and clay!

Hebert19

4 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

McCoy probably...in a reduced role...

But I see zero reason to keep Clay around...

0.00...?

The highest paid rb in the league in a reduced role. That would be great management. McCoy was terrible this year regardless of how bad the line was. How does the oline explain him being ranked 52nd out of 53 rbs in pass catching. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb 

7 hours ago, familykwi said:

I don't agree with this.  Veteran leadership has value.  Rookies may respect coaches, but they also respect veterans who have done what they want to do.

I can make an argument for keeping Shady as he has presented as a locker room leader.  Off-field nonsense aside.

I've not heard much about how Clay is in the room, but I think the coaches are ready to move on.

Just because you have $90M to spend doesn't mean you have to in one off-season.  Indy did not last year and they're sitting awful pretty right now.

My eyes tell me he still have elusiveness, but is slow to the hole.

I concede he too often failed to have room as he was often met in the backfield by defenders, but on other occasions in space, I did not see a back who can quickly accelerate forward.

And the 20MPH TD he had

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

To me McCoy lacked his first step and acceleration.  I do blame his yards per carry and lack of yards on the poor line play.  He got caught from behind by d lineman more than years past.  His cutbacks against the grain seemed more laboring as well.  Maybe he had an injury that was unreported but he looked off on the occassions he was in space.

To me it looked like everytime he tried to do anything there was 2 or 3 guys there to meet him.  I dont think he is as elusive as he was but he is still pretty elusive and fast.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

The highest paid rb in the league in a reduced role. That would be great management. McCoy was terrible this year regardless of how bad the line was. How does the oline explain him being ranked 52nd out of 53 rbs in pass catching. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb 

One thing that Josh Struggles with is check down passes, nice try though.

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

One thing that Josh Struggles with is check down passes, nice try though.

It's not that he doesn't catch them, he just doesn't do much with them after he does. He wasn't making people miss. I don't know if he was injured but his cuts and acceleration were not like his former self. I am not anti McCoy, I just think his play has fallen way off and the Bills could do a lot better for that kind of money. Look at the salaries of the top backs, not just the ones on rookie contracts. His pay is disproportionate to his play by a long shot imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

People love cutting players just to cut players.  

If they save a significant amount of money, fine, but here, we don't save THAT much, especially when you consider how much cap space we have.  There isn't much of a tangible benefit in cutting them. 

Now, if we have some young players that need time on the field, then I am also OK cutting the player.  However, this team, before FA and the draft, has neither.  Its not like there are some young guys that are loosing snaps.  

I really see no benefit of cutting these guys. 

Not in this case we all seen the decline of both of these guys. Clay is done and McCoy yea he had a bad oline but there was plenty plays where they made the blocks and couldn't take advantage. McCoy is a shell of himself . He doesn't have that gear anymore to get around the corner or to stop on a dime like he says and go misdirection.  We blew an oppurtunity to get at least a 3rd rd pk from the Eagles for him. They were offering up that 3rd that eventually got dealt for Tate. 

Its time to move on. This coming yr is a transition yr for us so its the perfect time to draft a TE and RB and also add a Jessie James and a young back like Malcolm Brown . I know these guys dont have the big names people seek but they are very productive players when given a chance to play. At this pt in there careers these guys are cheaper better players then McCoy and Clay. 

Edited by BillsFan1988

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

It's not that he doesn't catch them, he just doesn't do much with them after he does. He wasn't making people miss. I don't know if he was injured but his cuts and acceleration were not like his former self. I am not anti McCoy, I just think his play has fallen way off and the Bills could do a lot better for that kind of money. Look at the salaries of the top backs, not just the ones on rookie contracts. His pay is disproportionate to his play by a long shot imo. 

They said the same about AP.  How did he do behind a good OL.  I do agree he has lost a step the same as AP did.  The only thing that means is they can no longer produce behind a bad OL.

When compared to the new elite RB salaries it is peanuts.  The old Shady would get paid 15 mil not 8.

Also by paying the man they are developing a climate that is attractive to FAs, cutting him accomplishes nothing.  You do understand we are required to spend 85% of the cap over 3 years.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

I think Joshua Jacobs should be on high alert to be a Buffalo Bill in the upcoming draft.

I think Maxx Williams should be on high alert to be a Buffalo Bill when UFA opens in March.

And the Bills will probably add another TE on day 3 of the draft, if not sooner.

Clay is gone and Shady is back for one more year.

Clay has had so many injuries.  He's a broken down horse.  You can't count on him in games and he sits out a fair amount of practices.  Not a good situation for developing a young qb.  Plus I think Croom has passed Clay on depth chart.  Draft a TE and have him be 2nd TE and cut Clay.

Regarding Shady, it's not as clear cut.  Beane at a minimum should sign a guy who can challenge Ivory and Murphy right away.  Draft a rb in the 4th or 5th.  Let them battle it out.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They said the same about AP.  How did he do behind a good OL.  I do agree he has lost a step the same as AP did.  The only thing that means is they can no longer produce behind a bad OL.

When compared to the new elite RB salaries it is peanuts.  The old Shady would get paid 15 mil not 8.

Also by paying the man they are developing a climate that is attractive to FAs, cutting him accomplishes nothing.  You do understand we are required to spend 85% of the cap over 3 years.

AP is still effective because his running style of attacking the hole still works despite losing a step. McCoy is a totally different runner, he is an elusive back and losing a step renders him useless as we all saw this year. McCoy refuses to take punishment like AP and get the tough yards.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah Eifert's a top 10 TE talent but as injury prone as they get. Again we have all this money to spend on FA though getting depth on these types of players doesn't hurt on short term flyer contracts.

Mind you I don't want a ton of these types, but I'd do it. Eifert and a drafted TE, or another younger healthy FA type for more reliability next to a clear talent is fine by me. 

I just want to see depth. Get these guys wherever, whenever. There's really no position on this roster outside QB I wouldn't fill up with best FA value possible. Just load up the roster with good vet depth. Everywhere. Would be a very good compliment to the younguns. We're sorely lacking in veteran depth, which is why I don't mind keeping these guys if money is not an issue.

I'd prefer quantity over a handful of marquee FAs (although I'd love some at certain positions). Their deals will keep us flexible come time to re-sign our guys. And really I just see a need for vets to add depth, a healthy mix of experience for the youth movement, and getting us back to an NFL quality roster that has no reason not going 8-8. We severely lack in depth and this money should be a quick fix to go into next year without just some horrible positional talent on paper next year. 

Easy fix to end the blowouts and get the younguns to see themselves competing in every game. Totally fine with say 8 games of Eifert. I just don't want a ton of Eiferts

Right. With the the cap flexibility we have, we should be kicking the tires on multiple one year deals. We can easily outbid all but a couple teams for these players. Why the hell not?

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You know, I'd tell the youth of today the same about you. You appear to be a gossip looking for the worst in people. 

Lol at what point do you look at all of the accusations against McCoy and think to yourself, "you know, he just might not be a good person". 

But he scores touchdowns for our favorite team so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, amirite!

Edited by buffalobillswin

4 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Lol at what point do you look at all of the accusations against McCoy and think to yourself, "you know, he just might not be a good person". 

But he scores touchdowns for our favorite team so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, amirite!

All you are doing is judging a person off of gossip. He might not be a great guy. I won't pretend to know. 

As far as what gets reported for the most part is he's a good single dad. He gave those tickets away for a good cause when it was causing a lot of tension in society. The only thing I think that is a 100% certain is he's an awful tipper. 

I'm not going to pretend know the guy, and that illiterate writing at the end of your post is cute for a grown man lol.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

9 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

But he scores touchdowns, amirite!

Not lately.  $3 million dollars a touchdown this year. 

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

All you are doing is judging a person off of gossip. He might not be a great guy. I won't pretend to know. 

As far as what gets reported for the most part is he's a good single dad. He gave those tickets away for a good cause when it was causing a lot of tension in society. The only thing I think that is a 100% certain is he's an awful tipper. 

I'm not going to pretend know the guy, and that illiterate writing at the end of your post is cute for a grown man lol.

Don't believe women when they say they've been assaulted. Got it!