The more I look at this...we could end up keeping McCoy and clay!

Hebert19

Clay had over 500 yards receiving 3 straight season prior to 2018. What happened? I would have no problem keeping him around as depth, but not Shady. Loved McCoy, but when it's over for a RB, it happens quickly. It's over. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay have a solid season elsewhere if we cut him loose. Shady, not so much.

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...do you realistically see that happening?...a GM would surrender a pick for a 30 yr old RB and a $6 mil salary........AD is 3 years older, signed a 1 year deal with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil) and produced 1,042 yds rushing.........

If the offer was there take it.  Ifs not, roll with him.  I’m a firm believer that he has regressed some, but still has the ability to be a very effective rb/pass catcher if we can get some decent blocking.  I expect that to happen.  

Clay should have been gone in the same breath as KB.

McCoy...as a mentor??

You know who didn't need no stinkin mentor?  Saquon Barkley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Philip Lindsay, Kerryon Johnson......no one had to tell these young bucks to run hard.

Clear the deadwood. 

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Now first off.  I'm for cutting both of them due to lack of production and high costs.  But as I thought about it...a few points came to mind.  

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. 

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better. 

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.  

Thoughts?

We are not spending 90 mil in cap space. 

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am happy to invite both to camp and have them compete for jobs. I will be disappointed if Beane can't find a better RB1 and a better starting TE.  Can't imagine paying McCoy that much to be an RB2. If the money is a cap hit and guaranteed, then i guess I keep McCoy.  

This^

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Pretty sure Beane said Shady isnt going anywhere.

Who said he isnt the #1 RB.

Me. I don’t think he can do that. It has to be, at least, running back by committee. He can no longer handle that job by himself in my opinion even with a functional O line

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Why do you assume they plan on spending all their cap space? Some of it will roll over into the next year.

My point is they are never going to spend it all so cutting everyone to get more isnt worth it necessarily.  

And ps.  I am not saying I want this.  I've been saying cut shady for months. 

I'm inclined to agree with the cut Clay and keep Shady crowd.  I'm not sure that the activity during free agency will shape the decision on either player.  The FO probably has already made their decision on both and we won't know until they pull the trigger.  People seem to be obsessed with the idea that some team will want to trade for McCoy.  I can't think of any recent trades where teams acquired a 31 year old running back coming off the worst season of his career.  It seems highly improbable to me.

I think both should be gone.  If McCoy isnt willing to restructure/take less money I move on.  Clay is a slow body catcher with unreliable hands and a bum knee.  Te and Rb are positions in desperate need of young talent on the team.  

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

Me. I don’t think he can do that. It has to be, at least, running back by committee. He can no longer handle that job by himself in my opinion even with a functional O line

Well, in that case 1 Bills Drive had better obey or you will take to the internet and complain.

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think both should be gone.  If McCoy isnt willing to restructure/take less money I move on.  Clay is a slow body catcher with unreliable hands and a bum knee.  Te and Rb are positions in desperate need of young talent on the team.  

McCoy has already earned that contract in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think its hard to evaluate a RB behind one of the wurst Olines in the NFL.

I could be wrong though.?

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well, in that case 1 Bills Drive had better obey or you will take to the internet and complain.

McCoy has already earned that contract in my opinion.

I think its hard to evaluate a RB behind one of the wurst Olines in the NFL.

I could be wrong though.?

Meh, I dont look at it as earned.  Its cost vs production.  Is he producing as a top 10 rb? Does he have the potential to be one again? No and a big maybe because he led us to the playoffs?  His first step, and burst was noticeably missing all year.  

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Meh, I dont look at it as earned.  Its cost vs production.  Is he producing as a top 10 rb? Does he have the potential to be one again? No and a big maybe because he led us to the playoffs?  His first step, and burst was noticeably missing all year.  

He was top 5 a year ago.  He had one of the fastest TD runs at 20 MPH.  What part of our line sucks do you not understand.  There isnt a RB in the league that could have got 1000 behind that line.

I dont necessarily disagree that we need a complimentary back that will be our future primary,  but as we know from the years of getting slaughtered by the E/P offense there isnt much difference between the primary and the role players.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Situation is kind of like this:

McCoy = Bud Light

Clay = Mead

DILLY DILLY

Clay can make Stromboli and organize parking of cars?

6 hours ago, nucci said:

Clay is gone...he was a healthy scratch one game....McCoy may stay unless we draft a better RB

I do not think he was healthy all year.

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He was top 5 a year ago.  He had one of the fastest TD runs at 20 MPH.  What part of our line sucks do you not understand.  There isnt a RB in the league that could have got 1000 behind that line.

I hear ya.  I dont think he will be a top 10 Rb in 2019.  He is paid as one. 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..FA spending has to meet the "89% Rule" under current CBA........

Spending requirements

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which projected for year 2019 is $187-$191 mil). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule.

As mentioned in my previous response the 89% rule is over 4 years.  Teams must spend 89% of total $ over 4 years, not every year per CBA.