The more I look at this...we could end up keeping McCoy and clay!

Hebert19

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Are you sure.

Doesnt the saying go "those who can, Do, those who cant Teach....."

not in a player coach situation.

Players need to lead by example on the field. If you can no longer play well then transition to coach and mentor that way. That would be the old teacher ruse you state.

How do I critic a RB when me as the starting RB can not be even avg.?

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

How many "mentors" can we have?  All the mentoring is not easily translated to W's.  Mentoring is a job for coaches, not players.

Disagree. Look at how much Allen improved with Anderson and Barkley. Mentoring is a role that requires coaches and players.

13 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Then why is Derek Anderson on the team?

He should not be. Bills never scored TD with him on field. He should be QB coach if anything and Bills should get a 3rd QB that could actually play if they think they need a third. No guarantee Anderson makes the final 53 next year either.

With his head HX he could be concussed by end of preseason and spend the year on IR acting as a QB coach. Win Win.

Edited by cba fan

Pretty sure Beane said Shady isnt going anywhere.

45 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Money is always an issue even with a lot of cap space. It would be totally wasted on Clay. McCoy could be of some value to the team next year as long as he can accept the fact that he is not the number one running back anymore. His best use would be as a role player, probably a third down back.The team needs to get a number one running back one way or another in the off-season. 

And, this “mentoring” thing is way over blown. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Clay or McCoy would be willing to do this. Or,  even be good at it! This is what position coaches are for.

Who said he isnt the #1 RB.

I wouldn't bring clay back.  He had some pretty god awful production.  Low catch rate, probably a couple drops, and isn't so good of a blocker.   4.5 mil in savings can be spent on his replacement and we'd probably have an upgrade.

I don't think Shady will play to his contract, but he's still a solid contributor.  He can still block better than 90% of running backs, he can still catch, and he's still tough to take down 1x1 in space.  I think his days as a between the tackles 20 carry guy are over.  We need an upgrade at the between the tackles runner over what i think we have on the roster.

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Pretty sure Beane said Shady isnt going anywhere.

Who said he isnt the #1 RB.

This too - i wouldn't get rid of shady without him losing his job in training camp.

I can safely say that croom has pretty much passed clay on the depth chart at this point.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Now first off.  I'm for cutting both of them due to lack of production and high costs.  But as I thought about it...a few points came to mind.  

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. 

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better. 

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.  

Thoughts?

I'm all for this as long as:

#1 both of them come to camp healthy and ready to play.  Both still have some value, more McCoy than Clay, but both can still play.

#2 Bills FO doesn't go into the season as McCoy the #1 RB and Clay #1 TE w/o a viable alternative option at both positions.

I think both of those guys can still produce in the right situation.

I'm good with letting Shady play out his deal and split time with a young back who can take over after next year.  Regarding Clay I'd much rather have Croom, plus give Thomas 1 more year to develop with a rookie draft pick.  I still think Thomas has the ability to grow more.  In addition I really liked that fake punt pass he did during the season.  I would have him in that position on every punt.

Such a typical emotional fan reaction, cut this player, fire this person. You build a team by fielding the best players you can. If you can find a better running back or tight end, hallelujah! But you don’t cut a player just for the sake of cutting them. 

Further, I think people here are confusing mentoring with leadership. Leadership is Shady going to Robert Foster and telling him he needed to step up and put in the effort to succeed, and how to be a pro. He wasn’t mentoring him on how to play wr. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

I'm all for this as long as:

#1 both of them come to camp healthy and ready to play.  Both still have some value, more McCoy than Clay, but both can still play.

#2 Bills FO doesn't go into the season as McCoy the #1 RB and Clay #1 TE w/o a viable alternative option at both positions.

I think both of those guys can still produce in the right situation.

I really think Clay will do well elsewhere.  I think a change will do him good.  It had tobe disheartening to be open enough times to have 80+ catches 1000+ yards and 8+ TDs and have Tyrod Taylor as your QB.

• Like (+1) 1

McCoy should be good for 1 more season, he doesn't have to be the #1 back-----stop running him up the gut so much---move him around a lot & tons of passes out of the backfield to get him in space. Even use him as a slot receiver now & then.

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why do you assume they plan on spending all their cap space? Some of it will roll over into the next year.

..FA spending has to meet the "89% Rule" under current CBA........

Spending requirements

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which projected for year 2019 is $187-$191 mil). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule.

If we can substantially improve our OL, I’d like to see shady in a Bills uniform one last aeason.  He’ll perform without Castillo and with upgraded talent along the OL.  If we could get a 3rd-5th rd pick for him, I’d pull the trigger for the draft pick and draft Josh Jacobs or one of the around 7 RBs that I’d like to see us draft.  

I just wouldn’t want to cut him, unless we somehow fail to upgrade the OL

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we can substantially improve our OL, I’d like to see shady in a Bills uniform one last aeason.  He’ll perform without Castillo and with upgraded talent along the OL.  If we could get a 3rd-5th rd pick for him, I’d pull the trigger for the draft pick and draft Josh Jacobs or one of the around 7 RBs that I’d like to see us draft.  

I just wouldn’t want to cut him, unless we somehow fail to upgrade the OL

...do you realistically see that happening?...a GM would surrender a pick for a 30 yr old RB and a $6 mil salary........AD is 3 years older, signed a 1 year deal with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil) and produced 1,042 yds rushing.........