The more I look at this...we could end up keeping McCoy and clay!

Hebert19

McCoy has a positive relationship with Josh, regardless of personal feelings based on news reports you read. Yes, he had a terrible year but he has been an elite player in this league and he needs another shot behind a decent line. 

Clay will probable be cut. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Clay needs to go.  Not hating on the guy but his injuries  have piled up and he's simply not worth a roster spot especially at the $$ they'd have to shell out.  McCoy?  Assuming they focus on O line still worth another season; at minimum make him into a third down back.

• Like (+1) 1

NO to both of them; McCoy should have been moved at the trade deadline.

The way McBeane have publicly spoken, and given some of their past decisions, I am afraid they intend to keep McCoy and use him next year as the #1 RB.

39 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

The last thing I want Lesean McCoy to do is to be a mentor to anyone. Not just in the league but humanity in general. In fact I would tell today's youth to be the exact opposite of Shady. If you see him doing something around town, make it a point to do the exact opposite. 

He was singled-out by Foster for helping to turn him around. 

40 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

How many "mentors" can we have?  All the mentoring is not easily translated to W's.  Mentoring is a job for coaches, not players.

This whole mentor schtick always reminds me of the Seinfeld where Costanza took on a protege. It's ridiculously overrated. As you said, what the hell is the point of position coach's if we need a team full of mentors? May as well hire a player coach while we're at it. Worked out so well for the Cincinnati Reds.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Now first off.  I'm for cutting both of them due to lack of production and high costs.  But as I thought about it...a few points came to mind.  

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  We have Ivory/Dimarco (a captain btw)  as a backup and FB to help young RB room if Shady is let go - my guess is he stays unless there are more shenanigans on his part going forward.  As for Clay, surprised he passed year end physical as thought we might have forced retirement.  Don't see him coming back.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. There is a belief that NFL teams must spend 89 percent of the salary cap to be in compliance with the new collective bargaining agreement. That is both simultaneously correct and incorrect. The rule does not apply to a singular season for teams, but applies to an aggregate total  over the course of four seasons.  So we will not be obligated to spend $84mm - the current room - or more if guys get cut and we realize savings.

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better.  I would never increase HP and torque and leave the old tires and brakes on a car - we need a huge upgrade at TE and another RB who can platoon with Shady or Ivory.  See Michel/White for Pats.

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  Clay's worst ability is his availability.  His drop vs Miami in end zone was indicative of how much his athletic ability has plummeted.  Based on Beane end of season non-mention of him - he is already a goner.  No one will trade for these salaries btw.

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  Now you're talking - only hope for Clay.

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB.   Players play, Coaches coach.  We are not paying 2 guys 1/10th of our salary cap to mentor other players.  

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.   Our coaching staff must get us back in playoffs next year or at least finish with winning record again.  If they feel pocketing $10mm by cutting these 2 and securing their replacements or other key FA vets (OL, DT, Edge, CB, WR) with the money makes more sense, then that will be the decision.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

4.5 in dead cap money...why not keep him as your #2?

1.  Cuz he can't stay healthy and is no longer an impact player given injuries

2.  Cuz we only have $2.5mm in dead cap as of now next year and still save $5mm in 2019 cap by cutting him.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

The fact that Clay was a healthy scratch for Week 16 (I think) tells me they plan on moving on from him. He had chronic injury history with his knees before even signing here, I think that's probably caught up with him, doesn't seem to be able to separate anymore. 

McCoy's rough year can be put on the OL somewhat but there were other times where he should've hit the hole and taken the four or five yards that were there. He was really pressing to make a play just about every time he had the ball. He may have to switch up his running style a little bit if he wants to keep playing because, to me anyway, he's lost maybe half a step. He can still cut and juke but he did a little too much of that and it doesn't bail him out like it used to. Defenders were on him quickly. The fact that guys like Ivory, Murphy and even Ford had more success with a straight north-south style makes you wonder if that type of running style is better suited for the offense this team wants to run.

I still think McCoy can be effective in a specific role, get him the ball maybe 12-15 times a game, both on handoffs and catching it out of the backfield. Just design some stuff for him where they can get him in space and let him do his thing. I'd say running back is on their list of needs. They need to get a little younger there and I wouldn't be surprised to see RBBC this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure about McCoy, but I think it's pretty much "written in stone" so to speak that he will be gone. And I'm all for it. Wouldn't mind if McCoy stays since the OL "should" be much better, but honestly I wouldn't be butt hurt if he left either.

Between the two, McCoy definitely has the bigger upside as far as helping this team next year. Clay is useless IMO

I see the Bills keeping Shady.  I would like to see the Bills develop Shady into a back similar to Darren Sproles.  He is good catching out of the backfield and still has the burst when the holes are there.  

As for Clay, I do not see any value in keeping him.  I do however wonder what the comments would be if he had caught that pass in Miami?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Now first off.  I'm for cutting both of them due to lack of production and high costs.  But as I thought about it...a few points came to mind.  

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. 

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better. 

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.  

Thoughts?

Money is always an issue even with a lot of cap space. It would be totally wasted on Clay. McCoy could be of some value to the team next year as long as he can accept the fact that he is not the number one running back anymore. His best use would be as a role player, probably a third down back.The team needs to get a number one running back one way or another in the off-season. 

And, this “mentoring” thing is way over blown. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Clay or McCoy would be willing to do this. Or,  even be good at it! This is what position coaches are for.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. 

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better. 

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.  

Thoughts?

1.  You have to really ask yourself what mentoring by McCoy and Clay is really worth. Clay’s injuries have made everything else about him meaningless. It’s too bad. McCoy needs to earn his way with his play. He’s not the mentor you want for young players. 

2. Cap space can be carried forward. Don’t spend what you don’t need to spend.  No sense overpaying older players on their last year.

3. Maybe McCoy. Maybe. Not Clay. 

4. You can’t bank on trading them midseason. There’s a better chance that these players get injured.  Plus they’ll take up roster spots.

5. You can’t restructure the last year of a deal without extending the players. Why would they do that?  The total cap hit would stay the same anyway. Also we don’t need the space this season. 

6. See #1

i appreciate that you don’t want them to just get cut, but Clay is gone. McCoy probably is too.