The more I look at this...we could end up keeping McCoy and clay!

Hebert19

Now first off.  I'm for cutting both of them due to lack of production and high costs.  But as I thought about it...a few points came to mind.  

1.  We are soooo young as a team. We had first and second year players playing more snaps than anyone in the league and we have 10 draft picks to get even younger.  With kyle retiring we have very little vet leadership left and McCoy is one of them.  

2.  Are we really going to be able to spend 90M in cap space?  Let alone 100 if we cut these guys?  There aren't that many big free agents we can get at positions of need to eat up that much space.   So why cut 2 vets to save space when we can have them play out their next year and then take them off books when we need more space. 

3.  Supporting cast was terrible so having allen with another year under his belt and a better oline might make these guys better. 

4.  Chance we could get something for them mid year.  So we aren't cap strapped so keep them and see what happens.  A few teams needed backs this year and clay could fetch something for a team in need next year.  

5.  They could restructure and have less of a cap impact.  

6.  Mentors for draft picks.  These guys could groom their replacements for a year since we will likely draft both a TE and RB. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight but the lack of vets on a very young team that will be drafting someone in these positions might make it compelling to keep them especially since money isnt an issue this year.  

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 3

People love cutting players just to cut players.  

If they save a significant amount of money, fine, but here, we don't save THAT much, especially when you consider how much cap space we have.  There isn't much of a tangible benefit in cutting them. 

Now, if we have some young players that need time on the field, then I am also OK cutting the player.  However, this team, before FA and the draft, has neither.  Its not like there are some young guys that are loosing snaps.  

I really see no benefit of cutting these guys. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

The last thing I want Lesean McCoy to do is to be a mentor to anyone. Not just in the league but humanity in general. In fact I would tell today's youth to be the exact opposite of Shady. If you see him doing something around town, make it a point to do the exact opposite. 

what if he’s picking up a piece of rubbish from the sidewalk or pulling a little old lady out of the way of a speeding car at an intersection?

McCoy probably gets another shot with hopefully a better O-line. Clay I mean at first I though maybe with a short deal and let him compete in camp but then I thought do they really have any confidence in him beating out any of the guys they bring hopefully in FA/draft.