Are the Bills the Ronald Wayne of the NFL?

Scorp83

3 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

But, what bothers me is, their evaluation on Mahomes.... had to be similar to their evaluation on Allen right? I mean, really when you read both prospects reports, their sort of similar.  So why not take your QB needed that year?  You've already know TT wasn't your QB at the time....right?

Your Ronald Wayne comparison is funny, but here, I think, your premise is faulty.

-When we traded with the Chiefs, and passed on Mahomes, Whaley was the GM and had his whole crew of scouts in place

-After that draft, Beane was hired as GM and the first thing he did was get out a broom and fire the entire scouting and personnel staff Whaley had built (they did later rehire some, presumably those Beane felt would evaluate talent "his way" and fall in line

Since not only the GM is different, but the entire scouting staff was fired and only a fraction rehired, I don't see how you can have any certainty at all on whether their evaluations of Mahomes and Allen were similar.  Don't assume similarity to media pundits.

The "why not take your QB that year?" also seems pretty well answered.  They knew they were going to fire the GM and the scouting staff the day after the draft; Whaley and the Scouts likely knew they were out because that's how office gossip rolls; McD did not want to rely upon the evaluations of lame-duck scouts and GM for his shot at "franchise QB".

Rumor has it Whaley wanted to draft Watson, and at least 4 arguably QB needy teams drafting 1-9 also passed on Mahomes and Watson.

Now, whether  the Bills GM/scout tactics were flawed - whether they should have fired Whaley back in January after the famous "Presser" and tried to hire a GM and re-work the scouting staff then, is open for debate. But that's a different discussion.

5 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

True, the Bill's would have traded with anyone... but that's not the case right now... cause they traded with the Chiefs.  I mean, really how would they had known they were giving up Apple Stock??? 

But, what bothers me is, their evaluation on Mahomes.... had to be similar to their evaluation on Allen right? I mean, really when you read both prospects reports, their sort of similar.  So why not take your QB needed that year?  You've already know TT wasn't your QB at the time....right?

It would have saved us alot of dead cap that Beane is claiming that was here before he got here... smh... that's bull. 

You would of still had Dareus, Darby, Watkins, & Glenn... no cap in the books & Mahomes or Watson, adding tremaine Edmonds or another CB in 2018 draft. 

#ImJusSayin 

Tyrod had a decent season and was a pro bowl alternate before that season, so no, I don't really think they had decided 100% that he was not the guy.

Remember also that McDermott had just come in. Beane wasn't here yet. I don't think McDermott wanted to put a franchise altering decision in the hands of Doug Whaley, who would be fired right after the draft. Better to wait a year and get your actual GM to evaluate things before you take a top 10 draft pick QB. Plus everyone knew by that point that the next year would be a deeper QB class.

Mahomes was not a slam dunk pick. He had question marks. I particularly remember many people being wary because he played in an air raid offense and that may have inflated his stats. If everyone knew that he was that good he would have gone #1 overall. Nobody knew he would be this good.

6 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Dude ... that's what this discussion is about. If you've read some of the posts, it's more so...how good does Allen has to be to quiet the Mahomes talk? If you even listen to the link to WGR, you would have heard them discussing it too.

They even talked about the fans that DON'T want to hear this. ?

How you almost can't be naive to think the Bills are not linked to Mahomes...it was OUR pick that gave him to the Chiefs! Not the Jets or anyone else that had a chance to pick him... US! I wish the Chiefs did call a team before our pick, cause it would have washed our hands with this whole thing. 

I get it, you might not like getting smacked in the face with reality...but buddy that's what it is. Whether I start a post or someone else... until Allen is good... I mean really freaking good... then the idea that we gave up that picked will ALWAYS be questioned. 

"We are the Ronald Wayne of the NFL, we sold our Apple share for $800 & a good CB" - Jeremy White from WGR

My bad... I should not have said anything and just moved on to discussions that interest me more.

I like to focus on the Bills future, rather than the Chiefs, it's a broad football forum so post what you want.

Honestly, it is all good.

• Like (+1) 1

As a Bills fan I am not sure whether I should be rooting against Amy Adams to lose her 6th academy award, or for her to break out of our shared "0-for" streak.

Best Supporting Actress nomination today for Vice, and below is my post from earlier in this thread:

We are the Amy Adams of the NFL, or maybe she is the Buffalo Bills of acting.

I believe she is 0-5 for the Oscar.

EDIT:

Yep, she also lost 4 in 6 years

2006 - Supporting Actress for June Bug

2009 - Supporting Actress for Doubt

2011 - Supporting Actress for The Fighter

2013 - Supporting Actress for The Master

2014 - Best Actress for American Hustle

Although Glen Close is nominated, too, and I think she is 0-6, but not in such rapid succession...like say, 4 straight SB losses.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

On 1/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, MJS said:

Tyrod had a decent season and was a pro bowl alternate before that season, so no, I don't really think they had decided 100% that he was not the guy.

Remember also that McDermott had just come in. Beane wasn't here yet. I don't think McDermott wanted to put a franchise altering decision in the hands of Doug Whaley, who would be fired right after the draft. Better to wait a year and get your actual GM to evaluate things before you take a top 10 draft pick QB. Plus everyone knew by that point that the next year would be a deeper QB class.

Mahomes was not a slam dunk pick. He had question marks. I particularly remember many people being wary because he played in an air raid offense and that may have inflated his stats. If everyone knew that he was that good he would have gone #1 overall. Nobody knew he would be this good.

EXACTLY.

I've made this point 100 times, but have been excoriated for it every time.

"WELL ANDY REID KNEW! SO DID JEFFISMAGIC."

Neither of them KNEW. They could have liked the guy but there is literally ZERO way they could have known this would be the outcome.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:35 AM, Scorp83 said:

It would have saved us alot of dead cap that Beane is claiming that was here before he got here... smh... that's bull. 

Sure it'd have saved the dead cap. But we'd still be stuck with the overpaid, underperforming, oft-injured players like Dareus (who Jacksonville is regretting), Watkins (all the lols) and Glenn (on the outs in Cincy).

Thanks, but no thanks.

The Bills have a long line of those couldah, shouldah, wouldah, picks over the years & passing on Mahomes was definitely another one you could put in that bunch but with all that has happened with the Bills losing Ritchie, & Wood Mahomes may not have the success that he is having in KC given the firing of Dennison & the O line troubles .

Then Bills fans would be saying how big a piece of S*#T this guy is & what a wasted pick that was & all the normal Bills fan put downs !! 

• Like (+1) 1