How to split Direct TV to my garage

BringBackFergy

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You can rasily run CAT 5 cable fifty feet   

Right. But why run it 50 ft (and dig a trench) when the satellite dish is already attached to the outside wall of the old garage? All I need to do is split and bring the cable off the dish into the garage. The issue is: how do I receive the signal and change the channel...that’s where the mini Genie comes into play (I think). 

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think you’re right. I may need to get another Genie. As much as the other guys suggestions are appreciated, I don’t have a designated laptop for the garage and my WiFi doesn’t reach out to old garage. So I’ll need to look at an extra Genie. Not sure what the cost is (maybe $8 - $10 /month). Hoping to negotiate a new DTV contract this  summer anyway. 

I can promise you that you have all the leverage. As someone else mentioned, people are fleeing DTV for Sling, Hulu, etc. We had DirecTV for a long time and constantly got better deals by explaining the other options. Eventually got out of the contract. Hate to be that guy, but felt like we were getting screwed financially. I glean that you don't want to switch which is cool, but know that you have the leverage when negotiating with DTV. It's pretty similar to Verizon in that they'll work with you knowing there are cheaper options.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Right. But why run it 50 ft (and dig a trench) when the satellite dish is already attached to the outside wall of the old garage? All I need to do is split and bring the cable off the dish into the garage. The issue is: how do I receive the signal and change the channel...that’s where the mini Genie comes into play (I think). 

Next question

Is your DirecTV satellite power brick in the garage near the dish or is it in the house?  It will look something like this

3A502DA22_zoom.jpg&f=1

Is your splitter in the house or the garage?

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Next question

Is your DirecTV satellite power brick in the garage near the dish or is it in the house?  It will look something like this

3A502DA22_zoom.jpg&f=1

It’s in our basement. Same with the splitter. I take it this is a problem? (i.e I can’t get a signal from the cable that runs off the satellite dish outside off garage) 

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Next question

3A502DA22_zoom.jpg&f=1

I had something similar but the new units have gone away from that brick 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s in our basement. Same with the splitter. I take it this is a problem? (i.e I can’t get a signal from the cable that runs off the satellite dish outside off garage) 

the older units needed that SWM or you had no signal.  

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

have you called them and asked?    you only need like 45 minutes of free time    LOL 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had something similar but the new units have gone away from that brick 

the older units needed that SWM or you had no signal.  

have you called them and asked?    you only need like 45 minutes of free time    LOL 

That's on my list of things to do...after I report your ass!!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's on my list of things to do...after I report your ass!!

You know, you one percenters really chap my hyde.  You have 2 choices, lose one TV or purchase a bigger package (@Gugny can help you with finding a bigger package). Quit your whining and complaining and start taking responsibility for your life.

Edited by Cripple Creek

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You know, you one percenters really chap my hyde.  You have 2 choices, lose one TV or purchase a bigger package (@Gugny can help you with finding a bigger package). Quit your whining and complaining and start taking responsibility for your life.

I start a thread about fitting a small cable in a hole and guys with experience (such as yourself) grow impatient.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I start a thread about fitting a small cable in a hole and guys with experience (such as yourself) grow impatient.

Have you tried to adjust the tracking?  Did you follow the golden rule (Be Kind ... Rewind)?

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You think I don't understand your double andre but I'm smart.  I have reported you to the authorities.  Meanwhile, if you have one shred of dignity you will immediately close this thread.

23 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You think I don't understand your double andre but I'm smart.  I have reported you to the authorities.  Meanwhile, if you have one shred of dignity you will immediately close this thread.

It's double on tinder you dolt!!

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

you can get a signal from the cable running from the satelite dish, but a few things to keep in mind

every time you split the signal, you weaken signal

the signal weakens over distance

the power brick can run off a splitter but is better to run directly back to the dish because the power also weakens over distance and thru splitters

15 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

you can get a signal from the cable running from the satelite dish, but a few things to keep in mind

every time you split the signal, you weaken signal

the signal weakens over distance

the power brick can run off a splitter but is better to run directly back to the dish because the power also weakens over distance and thru splitters

Well then, reverse the polarity!  (It usually works in sci fi.)

Is all this ‘reporting’ that is being threatened to the moderators, or the ‘satellite tv police’ and the ‘cable tv police’?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013