How to split Direct TV to my garage

BringBackFergy

Need help figuring this out. We have Direct TV at our house. We have 4 tv’s set up on it. So we pay for the main Genie box and three mini Genies. The satellite dish is installed on the side of our old garage. The old garage is what I’m currently renovating (insulating, pine t&g walls, heat, etc). My plan is to make it into a shop. I have an extra tv that I want to hang on the wall so I can watch Bills games, hockey etc while I’m out there puttering around. 

1) Can I split the Direct TV signal/cable right off the satellite dish and bring it into the garage/shop? 

2) Do I have to order another mini Genie to receive the signal and use remote control?

3) Do I have to have a DTV guy come out and do this for me or can I handle it myself?

I don’t understand Firestick or Sling or any of that stuff. Dealing with Direct TV here. 

Not too familiar with DirecTV, but I worked for Dish for five years.The Genie doesn't use any sort of coax to a TV, so there really isn't any way to mirror it. A new mini Genie would be the only way. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Need help figuring this out. We have Direct TV at our house. We have 4 tv’s set up on it. So we pay for the main Genie box and three mini Genies. The satellite dish is installed on the side of our old garage. The old garage is what I’m currently renovating (insulating, pine t&g walls, heat, etc). My plan is to make it into a shop. I have an extra tv that I want to hang on the wall so I can watch Bills games, hockey etc while I’m out there puttering around. 

1) Can I split the Direct TV signal/cable right off the satellite dish and bring it into the garage/shop? 

2) Do I have to order another mini Genie to receive the signal and use remote control?

3) Do I have to have a DTV guy come out and do this for me or can I handle it myself?

I don’t understand Firestick or Sling or any of that stuff. Dealing with Direct TV here. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Not too familiar with DirecTV, but I worked for Dish for five years.The Genie doesn't use any sort of coax to a TV, so there really isn't any way to mirror it. A new mini Genie would be the only way. 

That's what I was thinking...wasn't sure if a direct feed off the satellite would give me any kind of reception....but even if it did, I'd have to be able to change channels and without a remote that changes the Genie I'd have nothin'

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

That's what I was thinking...wasn't sure if a direct feed off the satellite would give me any kind of reception....but even if it did, I'd have to be able to change channels and without a remote that changes the Genie I'd have nothin'

Yeah. And it's not like 20 years ago when you could go to a less than reputable dealer and pay him $100 bucks for a jail-broken smart card and get whatever you wanted. 

22 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You are such a putterer.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

you should eliminate one of the tvs.

32 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

1)  Get WiFi in the garage. 

2)  you can watch DTV services from a laptop / computer or mobile device. 

3) How many mini remotes are you allowed to run?   the Geni s/b Internet driven so run off of WiFi. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1) You can split the signal

2) You need another receiver to decode the signal

You can also split HDMI output with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Enlody-Support-Resolution-Projector/dp/B0722QSHKC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1547501960&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=hdmi+splitter&psc=1

However HDMI has a fairly short range, maybe 10 metres.  You can extend this range up to 100 metres by using HDMI to Cat5/Cat6 converters at both ends

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Extender-Ethernet-Amplifier-Repeater/dp/B014IZ276C/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547502298&sr=1-33&keywords=hdmi+over+cat6

3) You can do this all yourself. 

I would suggest a Roku or FireTV.  After a brief learning curve, they're quite simple to use and will eventually pay for themselves versus your monthly receiver rental

• Like (+1) 1

You set up an appointment with DirecTV. When they arrive you give them everything in your wallet and 401k. Then you grovel a bit, and pray for the best. They are pretty good at setting you up for new stuff. Good luck cancelling anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

while I’m out there puttering around. 

Man, why don't you do us and your family a favor and just get admitted to the old folks home now...save everyone else the trouble of having to mess with your doddering old behind!!!!!!

In all seriousness, do this! Call DTV and tell them" look, half  my damn bill is equipment based" . I can get Sling, with a DVR, and HBO and anything else I need for 50% of what yall are charging me" .  BTW, the best Sling, with DVR and HBO and CenterIce and Hulu be about $65 a month all in, and that's the truth!!!!.Then tell them what you are looking to do, and what you want to pay.

They ain't scared of cable anymore, but they jump to attention when you mention streaming. You will have all the equipment you need, at half price, and installed if so desired.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

As stated above, the Roku is very easy to navigate upon transiting to your garage.

I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. I’m so behind the times. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, why don't you do us and your family a favor and just get admitted to the old folks home now...save everyone else the trouble of having to mess with your doddering old behind!!!!!!

In all seriousness, do this! Call DTV and tell them" look, half  my damn bill is equipment based" . I can get Sling, with a DVR, and HBO and anything else I need for 50% of what yall are charging me" .  BTW, the best Sling, with DVR and HBO and CenterIce and Hulu be about $65 a month all in, and that's the truth!!!!.Then tell them what you are looking to do, and what you want to pay.

They ain't scared of cable anymore, but they jump to attention when you mention streaming. You will have all the equipment you need, at half price, and installed if so desired.

I really don’t understand this stuff. I need to sit down and talk to someone to learn how it works.