Top 4 Scoring teams are in the Conference Champ games..

Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) pats defense is very good as alway this time of year. Saint defense, also solid and  better than average. 

2) Bills defense was dismantled by good offenses this year. They are extremely average.  that guess on teams watched is also incorrect. 

3) ok fine but when looking at defense with an ‘S’ the Bills were still just ok. They did well on yards against because of poor STs, mediocre offense and a run defense that was far easier to attack than passing defense. Ravens, chargers, packers, Colts, pats and bears all shredded this defense.

So Good (not great) against the pass, not very good at all against the run. They didn’t keep opponents to field goals, were near the bottom in generating sacks, average in allowed completion% and points allowed. 

They basically were good at tackling in the secondary and keeping the offense in front of them. That’s it. 

1. The pats did not get to the AFC championship game because of their defence. 

2. Bills defence had a very tough start to the year. They were awful against ravens and chargers but after that they turned in a very good year. Lit up by the packers? They held them to like 23 points and forced an INT. This is with the Bills offence going 3 and out basically every single possession...

They virtually shut down the pats on the Monday nighter. Yes they got lit up by the colts. Against the Bears it’s hard to play inspiring defence when your QB throws 2 pick 6s in the first quarter and a half...

Were they perfect? No. But to say they were average this year is ridiculous IMO.

Anyways getting back on track. The 4 teams that are in the championship games this weekend are here because of their offence not their defence.

Last year- Top 2 offences were in the superbowl

Year before that- 2 out of top 3 offences were in super bowl 

This year- Most likely 2 out of top 3 offences will be in the Super Bowl. 

Get with the trend lol. Offence these days wins championships. Yes your defence has to contribute and make plays along the way, but offence is far more valuable than defence. That’s pretty inarguable. 

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yes you do need an all around team but if you look at the teams left. They all are high powered offenses with defenses that were ranked near the middle of pack. I hope it keeps going this way. High powered offense is fun to watch. It seems that only the fans from the days of the Rockpile hate high scoring games. 

Not true, I am an old AFL fan; the pass crazy AFL versus the between the tackles NFL and a cloud of dust! But I do not want the NFL to degrade into Arena Football or another version of prime time wrestling catering to fans who can only focus on non - stop action and a scoreboard constantly lighting up. Do you want a defense that is a football version of the Washington Generals who are playing the Globetrotters - simply on the field to get scored on? Football purists still enjoy defensive struggles along with passing attacks, every facet of the game not just the long bomb for the TD! And despite your love of offense, some hot DC will figure out how to ***** it down, it is inevitable!

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

2. Bills defence had a very tough start to the year. They were awful against ravens and chargers but after that they turned in a very good year. Lit up by the packers? They held them to like 23 points and forced an INT. This is with the Bills offence going 3 and out basically every single possession...

They virtually shut down the pats on the Monday nighter. Yes they got lit up by the colts. Against the Bears it’s hard to play inspiring defence when your QB throws 2 pick 6s in the first quarter and a half...

Were they perfect? No. But to say they were average this year is ridiculous IMO.

Anyways getting back on track. The 4 teams that are in the championship games this weekend are here because of their offence not their defence.

Get with the trend lol. Offence these days wins championships. Yes your defence has to contribute and make plays along the way, but offence is far more valuable than defence. That’s pretty inarguable. 

Not so, not at all; I will argue all day! No kidding, you need a competent offense to go with a great defense, like I keep posting you have to score more points than your opponents and stop your opponents from scoring! That's how football works!

15 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yes you do need an all around team but if you look at the teams left. They all are high powered offenses with defenses that were ranked near the middle of pack. I hope it keeps going this way. High powered offense is fun to watch. It seems that only the fans from the days of the Rockpile hate high scoring games. 

And I love high powered offense as long as it is my team scoring, then I want high powered defense, funny how that works!

32 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Last years super bowl champs say defense isn’t irrelevant just yet. 

So fair... these playoffs offer a very Simple test: 

Rams and chiefs have much better offenses and much worse defenses than their opponents respectively. 

So if offense is all that matters, KC v Rams super bowl is a slam dunk. Let’s see 

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Last years super bowl champs say defense isn’t irrelevant just yet. 

So fair... these playoffs offer a very Simple test: 

Rams and chiefs have much better offenses and much worse defenses than their opponents respectively. 

So if offense is all that matters, KC v Rams super bowl is a slam dunk. Let’s see 

Last year the number 2 ranked offence won in a 41-33 game.

Once again not saying defence does not matter. I said you have to make key plays along the way. Mentioned that multiple times.

But ultimately a great offence is going to win you a super bowl. A great defence is not necessary . This has literally been confirmed with the 4 teams remaining.

21 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Last year the number 2 ranked offence won in a 41-33 game.

Once again not saying defence does not matter. I said you have to make key plays along the way. Mentioned that multiple times.

But ultimately a great offence is going to win you a super bowl. A great defence is not necessary . This has literally been confirmed with the 4 teams remaining.

What ranking was this? Scoring? How'd #1 scoring 2017 Rams do? Eagles weren’t #2 in anything I can see. 

Great defensive teams will rise again. 

They've been touting the demise of defensive importance off and on since the k gun days. 

Complete teams win. Patriots dynasty has been founded on a great QB and consistently solid defense, particularly in the post season. 

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What ranking was this? Scoring? How'd #1 scoring 2017 Rams do? Eagles weren’t #2 in anything I can see. 

Great defensive teams will rise again. 

They've been touting the demise of defensive importance off and on since the k gun days. 

Complete teams win. Patriots dynasty has been founded on a great QB and consistently solid defense, particularly in the post season. 

lol whatever you say.

Top 4 offences are left.

Top 4 defences are out.

You can’t even dispute that unless you think that the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, or Saints possess a top end defence...

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Not sure how you got that as my quote; somebody else posted that not me; regarding your post freddyjj - no argument from my friend!

Thanks for the correction on the standing. I think it might actually be ninth. 

6 hours ago, vorpma said:

Try the Arena League, you will get what you are hoping for!

This comment is idiotic. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It worked out that way, but that doesn't always happen...definitely shifting towards more offense tho and has been for a long time...a GREAT defense will still win against a great offense tho 9 times out of 10.

This is not true.  If it was, I am sure you provide the statistical evidence for that. 

13 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

This is not true.  If it was, I am sure you provide the statistical evidence for that. 

Look at the super bowls:

Tampa Bay versus Raiders

Baltimore versus NY Giants

Denver versus Carolina

Chicago versus New England

Dallas versus Buffalo(twice)

Seattle versus Denver

Note I'm not talking about good defense....I'm talking about GREAT defenses.

Edited by matter2003

49 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look at the super bowls:

Tampa Bay versus Raiders

Baltimore versus NY Giants

Denver versus Carolina

Chicago versus New England

Dallas versus Buffalo(twice)

Seattle versus Denver

Note I'm not talking about good defense....I'm talking about GREAT defenses.

Are you really seeing that 6 out 50 is the same as 9 out of 10? 

On 1/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Beane says he wants to build a high powered Offense.  Expect a lot to be invested in the O this offseason.

I do believe if we stay at 9 it will definitely be on a defensive player.  But a lot of our money and picks will go toward Offense.

I'm glad to hear Beane wants to build "a high powered Offense".  Too bad he's clueless about how to go about that -- and relies on a HC who thinks "high powered offense" is scoring more than 1 offensive TD a game.

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I'm glad to hear Beane wants to build "a high powered Offense".  Too bad he's clueless about how to go about that -- and relies on a HC who thinks "high powered offense" is scoring more than 1 offensive TD a game.

Seems to have found a QB and some good pick-ups as UDFA and others.  Really like the Duke Williams pickup.  Rome wasnt built in a day dude.  Hope you aknowledge you were wrong and admit everything you said this time next year.

6 hours ago, vorpma said:

I would rather have a winning team with a top rated offense, defense, and special teams that hangs around for a decade than an Arena Football League Offense that supplies flash in the pan thrills for two years until some hot young DC figures out how to shut it down then gets copied by the rest of the league! Football is a team game and has been since the beginning and no matter how hard you guys wish for "showtime," you need to stop your opponent from scoring and eating up the clock at your expense! Funny how that works, score more points than your opponent and stop your opponent from scoring points!

Which is the flash in the pan Arena Football League Offense....patriots or Saints?