Top 4 Scoring teams are in the Conference Champ games..

Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its because people are bad at ranking defenses and understanding their job. 

9 of the top 12 defenses were in the playoffs if you go by points, the important metric. 

Top 4 offences in the NFL throwing out all stats and just going by personal opinion: Saints, Chiefs, Rams, Pats. Would you agree?

Top 4 defences in the NFL throwing out all stats and just going by personal opinion : I would say ravens, Bills, Cowboys, and maybe Seahawks. Agree?

The 4 teams with the best offences are left, the top 4 teams with the best defence are out.

Edited by BillsFan130

1 hour ago, vincec said:

It's interesting that last years final four- Minnesota, Philadelphia, Jacksonville and New England were ranked #1, #2, #4 and #5 in total defense.

Yeah they were good defenses. 

The SB however, 41-33 score with 1150 yards of offense. 

I would rather have a high scoring offense than a stout defense in todays NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Top 4 offences in the NFL throwing out all stats and just going by personal opinion: Saints, Chiefs, Rams, Pats. Would you agree?

Top 4 defences in the NFL throwing out all stats and just going by personal opinion : I would say ravens, Bills, Cowboys, and maybe Seahawks. Agree?

The 4 teams with the best offences are left, the top 4 teams with the best defence are out.

So what would you say is more important. Offence or defence?

I say one dimensional teams lose. 

I say the bills defense was very average not top 10.

I say New englands defense is very good as always this time of year. 

I say say spelling either unit with a c instead of an s compromises credibility a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Yeah they were good defenses. 

The SB however, 41-33 score with 1150 yards of offense. 

I would rather have a high scoring offense than a stout defense in todays NFL. 

I would too. Top rated defenses don't get you far anymore. You can't talk like that on this board. A lot of the people on this board are from the day when defense was king and they yearn for that day to come back. They don't want to see high powered offense. They want to see teams run the ball and play field position. 

10 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I would too. Top rated defenses don't get you far anymore. You can't talk like that on this board. A lot of the people on this board are from the day when defense was king and they yearn for that day to come back. They don't want to see high powered offense. They want to see teams run the ball and play field position. 

I can't think of one person on this board -- young, old, or otherwise -- for whom these statements are "absolutes."  There's a difference between wanting to see a high-powered offense and dealing with the talent your team has.  And it is still true that an offense that can run the ball is useful to win and close out games.

Thankfully the Bills went out and got their guy in Josh Allen, and now we'll see what kind of an offense they can build.  This is much, much better than trying to "get by" with Tyrod Taylor or over-drafting EJ Manuel.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i give the nod to the home team on Divisional Weekend, unless there is a heck of a reason not to through injuries or momentum

i expected the Chargers to do better than that,  as big a disappointment as Bama earlier this month

Rivers is a playoff choker.  He's 1-8 vs Brady.  Why would that change in NE?  He is who we thought he was.  They need to move on from him. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, eball said:

I can't think of one person on this board -- young, old, or otherwise -- for whom these statements are "absolutes."  There's a difference between wanting to see a high-powered offense and dealing with the talent your team has.  And it is still true that an offense that can run the ball is useful to win and close out games.

Thankfully the Bills went out and got their guy in Josh Allen, and now we'll see what kind of an offense they can build.  This is much, much better than trying to "get by" with Tyrod Taylor or over-drafting EJ Manuel.

There is quite a few on this board that want to see more games like the Saints one from yesterday. They miss low scoring defensive battles. 

Guest Mike147
6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only 1 is in the top 10 D for points allowed.

A lot of offense, and just enough D.  That's the formula for success.

The Eagles problem last night was after taking a 14-0 lead their offense stalled. They just couldn't run the ball or decided they weren't going to bother, so when they were getting their 3 and outs, they weren't taking much time off the clock and giving their defense time to rest. Whereas the Saints were running the ball well and controlled the clock, so their offense took time off the clock and gave their defense time to recover. So part of the reason the Eagles lost last night wasn't because they couldn't keep up with the Saints offense (they themselves only scored 20 points), it was simply down to their inability to run the ball and manage the clock, and then take their chance late in the game when Jeffrey didn't catch the ball. Rewind to last week and the Eagles beat the Bears in a low scoring contest, in which the Bears lost due to a missed field goal. So defense does still play a significant part in football as proven in some of the games in this year's play offs, but I would tend to agree that the trend in the league is towards offense with just enough defense, but I still believe a team can win consistently in this league with an elite defense and enough offense. 

Edited by Mike147

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only 1 is in the top 10 D for points allowed.

A lot of offense, and just enough D.  That's the formula for success.

Wait a minute!  Hold it right there Mr. Weo! 

I read right here at TBD last week that defense is still the important thing in playoff football!

We had an entire thread dedicated to that! 

Run and stop the run!

Win in the trenches! 

Control the line of scrimmage! 

Invest a lot of money in a marquis RB!

This fanbase is still living in the time period when we were last good.

About 25 years ago! 

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That's the current trend, eh?

Thanks.

Would you believe a whole boatload of folks here don't seem to know this?

4 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

The team with the better defense was 1-7 in the playoffs.

And the 4 teams left standing at the conference championship stage all have tops QBs any team in the league would love to have.

Brady, Brees, Mahomes, and Goff.

This stuff very rarely changes, ever.

And yet folks want to talk about drafting an elite DT with our first pick in the draft.

Ask Mr. Bosa in LA what impact an elite D lineman has on wins and losses.

The answer is "not much."

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hemma won this thread early on. There's no sense in even continuing the discussion.

Point differential is the best metric when discussing NFL team success. You need to score a lot, but you also need to stop the other team from scoring. Revolutionary, huh?

4 of the top 5 scoring differential teams are playing on championship weekend, and the 5th (the Bears) lost in an upset on Wild Card Weekend.

Point differential, point differential, point differential. That's it.

5 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Sure.  If you ignore the top 4 teams that all moved on to the conference finals and 3 of which racked up points pretty easily, you can make an argument for defense.  But what happened opening weekend is pretty irrelevant when the Colts / Cowboys / Chargers showed they can't keep up and the Eagles gave up a 14-0 lead.

So what your saying.....

is if the Eagles defense continued to stop the Saints offense like when the score was 14-0, they wouldn’t have won. Got it. 

Edited by mrags

4 hours ago, vincec said:

It's interesting that last years final four- Minnesota, Philadelphia, Jacksonville and New England were ranked #1, #2, #4 and #5 in total defense.

And the final score of the Superbowl was 41-33

The year before that the pats needed 34 to win. 

4 hours ago, wiskibreth said:

Any team that focuses on only one aspect of the game is doomed.  You need to be good in all aspects of the game to compete at this level.

You need to “pass the test” everywhere but be great in a few spots. Scoring (offense everywhere) and a pass rush are where I opt. Put up points and hopefully steal a turnover occasionally 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You need to “pass the test” everywhere but be great in a few spots. Scoring (offense everywhere) and a pass rush are where I opt. Put up points and hopefully steal a turnover occasionally 

That's how it's done by the best teams now. 

Teams like the Ravens are in deep trouble going forward.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nonsense. Football is a very simple game. Score more that the opponent. 

The job of the offenses is to score. The job of the defense is to prevent opposing offenses from scoring. 

Being Above average in both or being an extremely great outlier in one of the two are what make winners. 

Makes sense to me but I'm old school I guess! The game in 2018 is no different than the 1950's and defense does count!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. Defence does not win championships anymore. 

You need to have a respectable defence of course but offence is way more valuable In 2018.

I know it sounds like I am stating the obvious, but a descent amount of people here seemed to think a top defence was close or equal to a top offence. 

Defense does win championships - you still have to shut your opponent down - and guess what - you have to score more points!

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I say one dimensional teams lose. 

I say the bills defense was very average not top 10.

I say New englands defense is very good as always this time of year. 

I say say spelling either unit with a c instead of an s compromises credibility a bit. 

1. I am not saying you don’t have to have a respectful defence. But you can have an average one and still win. As all 4 teams in now have average defences at BEST

2. Bills defence was not average.... If you think that then I’m guessing you didn’t watch the other 31 teams much this season

3. I’m from Canada. We spell it with a C not a S

57 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Defense does win championships - you still have to shut your opponent down - and guess what - you have to score more points!

Lol 41-33 SB last year wouldn’t exactly qualify as “shutting an opponent down”.

And the year before that, 38-31 I believe was the score

32 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

1. I am not saying you don’t have to have a respectful defence. But you can have an average one and still win. As all 4 teams in now have average defences at BEST

2. Bills defence was not average.... If you think that then I’m guessing you didn’t watch the other 31 teams much this season

3. I’m from Canada. We spell it with a C not a S

Lol 41-33 SB last year wouldn’t exactly qualify as “shutting an opponent down”.

And the year before that, 38-31 I believe was the score

You still play 17 - 18 games to get there!