Top 4 Scoring teams are in the Conference Champ games..

Mr. WEO

9 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I

I seen nothing over the last 48 hours that differentiates the NFL in 2018 from the last 60 years; good teams win - passing, running, defense, blitz, zone, or special teams. The offense has to score more points than the opponent and the defense has to hold the opponent to less points. And defense still wins games through the course of a season!

with a cynical brush-off, so it's not like it matters anyway,  i can say i believe that about 95% of the winners in Division weekend the last 50 years were the home team

sure seemed that way and it was 100% this weekend

without a really good reason to believe otherwise, the Wild Card weekend participant has little chance against #1 and 2 in a conference

a few exceptions of the past were Ben Roethlistberger was out the first 4 or so weeks or Emmitt Smith sat out the first two for the Cowboys, so they were really better than their record indicated

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Imagine where we could go if we kept up the top D and added offensive firepower? Wouldn’t we be right there then with the league’s elite? Let Vegas quake in its boots! 

Beane says he wants to build a high powered Offense.  Expect a lot to be invested in the O this offseason.

I do believe if we stay at 9 it will definitely be on a defensive player.  But a lot of our money and picks will go toward Offense.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

The team with the better defense was 1-7 in the playoffs.

the Chiefs and Pats D sure rose to the occasion when it mattered

i was under the impression they were horrible

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

with a cynical brush-off, so it's not like it matters anyway,  i can say i believe that about 95% of the winners in Division weekend the last 50 years were the home team

sure seemed that way and it was 100% this weekend

without a really good reason to believe otherwise, the Wild Card weekend participant has little chance against #1 and 2 in a conference

a few exceptions of the past were Ben Roethlistberger was out the first 4 or so weeks or Emmitt Smith sat out the first two for the Cowboys, so they were really better than their record indicated

Right on, and the Dome Team (Colts) and warm weather Chargers struggled out doors in the cold; would like to what would have happened in the Saints played outside in Philly.

13 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Right on, and the Dome Team (Colts) and warm weather Chargers struggled out doors in the cold; would like to what would have happened in the Saints played outside in Philly.

that's why they gear for as many home games as they can in the playoffs, that's the only goal

nobody cares about a perfect season, once a decade it can't be helped, they don't want to waste a single drop of sweat or blood or whatever if it doesn't help for home field in the playoffs

that skews all stats from the top teams as they just want out of there with the win

we finally got to see the Pats coming out at 100% effort, not like the game where they laughed against the Bills

and they pulled up at the half and coasted to the sadly too-easy win

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Chiefs and Pats D sure rose to the occasion when it mattered

i was under the impression they were horrible

When your offense scores non-stop, you make the opposing team one dimensional quickly. Melvin Gordon completely neutralized because you have to throw. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

When your offense scores non-stop, you make the opposing team one dimensional quickly. Melvin Gordon completely neutralized because you have to throw. 

Pats came loaded for bear

first time all season

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only 1 is in the top 10 D for points allowed.

A lot of offense, and just enough D.  That's the formula for success.

It's interesting that last years final four- Minnesota, Philadelphia, Jacksonville and New England were ranked #1, #2, #4 and #5 in total defense.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Now you're getting it.

it was a very impressive display

i  don't care who wins but just want good games, the 4th one was good.

very very disappointed in the Colts and Bolts efforts but they were facing tsunamis.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

it was a very impressive display

i  don't care who wins but just want good games, the 4th one was good.

very very disappointed in the Colts and Bolts efforts but they were facing tsunamis.

The first 3 games were very easy calls (certainly the Colts and Chargers were doomed before the coin flip). 

I wasn't sure with the last game, but I had NO in the other post about picking the games.

Bottom line,  Brees may be the second best QB of all time.  That last drive was what killed the Eagles, not Jeffries's  drop.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The first 3 games were very easy calls (certainly the Colts and Chargers were doomed before the coin flip). 

I wasn't sure with the last game, but I had NO in the other post about picking the games.

Bottom line,  Brees may be the second best QB of all time.  That last drive was what killed the Eagles, not Jeffries's  drop.

i give the nod to the home team on Divisional Weekend, unless there is a heck of a reason not to through injuries or momentum

i expected the Chargers to do better than that,  as big a disappointment as Bama earlier this month

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. Defence does not win championships anymore. 

You need to have a respectable defence of course but offence is way more valuable In 2018.

I know it sounds like I am stating the obvious, but a descent amount of people here seemed to think a top defence was close or equal to a top offence. 

Its because people are bad at ranking defenses and understanding their job. 

9 of the top 12 defenses were in the playoffs if you go by points, the important metric. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

30 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its because people are bad at ranking defenses and understanding their job. 

9 of the top 12 defenses were in the playoffs if you go by points, the important metric. 

you cannot make D stats applicable in a meaningful sense beyond a simple observation that the top teams that focus on D have the best D out there

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

you cannot make D stats applicable in a meaningful sense beyond a simple observation that the top teams that focus on D have the best D out there

Nonsense. Football is a very simple game. Score more than the opponent. 

The job of the offenses is to score. The job of the defense is to prevent opposing offenses from scoring. 

Being Above average in both or being an extremely great outlier in one of the two are what make winners. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1