Top 4 Scoring teams are in the Conference Champ games..

Mr. WEO

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only 1 is in the top 10 D for points allowed.

A lot of offense, and just enough D.  That's the formula for success.

But watch how the Playoff games unfold. 

16-15 Eagles over the Bears, Dallas beating the Seahawks 24-22 in a scratch and claw game, Chargers limped by the Ravens.

I think what you see is, QB play is the most important especially the decision making , but games are more tightly contested and the scoring is harder to come by. The Bills really need to continue building the depth on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

16-15 Eagles over the Bears, Dallas beating the Seahawks 24-22 in a scratch and claw game, Chargers limped by the Ravens.

I think what you see is, QB play is the most important especially the decision making , but games are more tightly contested and the scoring is harder to come by. The Bills really need to continue building the depth on defense. 

Sure.  If you ignore the top 4 teams that all moved on to the conference finals and 3 of which racked up points pretty easily, you can make an argument for defense.  But what happened opening weekend is pretty irrelevant when the Colts / Cowboys / Chargers showed they can't keep up and the Eagles gave up a 14-0 lead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That was last weekend. Minus the Saints, the other 3 top scoring teams all won in a blowout. I hope the league keeps trending this way. I love watching a high powered offense. Its way better then watching a game of field position and teams going 3 and out. 

• Like (+1) 1

The goal is to score one point more than the other team, in a blowout it goes to garbagetime and the leading team puts the breaks on the rest of the way and doesn't care if they other teams scores, it's a matter of grinding the clock and sealing the win

taking the end result and pretending it was the strategy the whole 60 minutes defeats the purpose

Yep. Defence does not win championships anymore. 

You need to have a respectable defence of course but offence is way more valuable In 2018.

I know it sounds like I am stating the obvious, but a descent amount of people here seemed to think a top defence was close or equal to a top offence. 

24 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Scoring wasn't hard to come by in the AFC games.  Both were over before halftime.  Blowouts.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so winning teams put more on the scoreboard more consistently ?

Funny how that works and defenses stop teams from opponents from scoring more than the offense; row_33 we should get into coaching!

the consistency is the win-loss record is the only thing that matters in the regular season, top teams seek to gain HFA and then can relax

and in the playoffs you aim to win the game, hopefully easily so you can pull back and rest up for next week

10 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Funny how that works and defenses stop teams from opponents from scoring more than the offense; row_33 we should get into coaching!

just like in hockey the best plus/minuses come from the top teams that score a lot of goals?

i need stats to TELL ME SOMETHING I DIDN"T ALREADY FIGURE OUT from watching the game and maybe 30 seconds of low-level stat analysis

• Like (+1) 1

I

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

the consistency is the win-loss record is the only thing that matters in the regular season, top teams seek to gain HFA and then can relax

and in the playoffs you aim to win the game, hopefully easily so you can pull back and rest up for next week

just like in hockey the best plus/minuses come from the top teams that score a lot of goals?

I seen nothing over the last 48 hours that differentiates the NFL in 2018 from the last 60 years; good teams win - passing, running, defense, blitz, zone, or special teams. The offense has to score more points than the opponent and the defense has to hold the opponent to less points. And defense still wins games through the course of a season!

• Like (+1) 1