Top 50 players that are fits for Buffalo Bills..NewYorkUpstate.com

PIZ

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

This was a nice list to review, and we should pick up some pretty good people.  I don’t why AB wasn’t on that list as Kareem Hunt and AB, along with a couple of Guards and a Center (at least two).  These additions we can afford, and a solid draft will make a dramatic difference to this team.

Kareem Hunt?!! I highly doubt he ever sees an NFL field again.

Here is how I would approach this: 

1.  Surround JA with VETERANS on the OL.  No time for rookies to be learning on the job.  If J. Williams from Alabama falls to us, great, take him, but don't reach for another guy.  

In terms of FA OL  I'd target, here they are: (1) Paradis-C.  The QB of the OL.  Would instantly improve the line; (2) Saffold--G.  Would be able to help Teller, and has success guarding another young QB; (3) D. Williams--T.  Another great addition, and not because he's from Carolina.  Now we have added three potential starters to the OL.  I'd also target (4) Ramon Foster-G.  The guy is a "process" guy.  He could compete for a starting spot or work in a rotation.  He is an extremely smart football player.  I also think he'd enjoy leaving the drama at the Steelers (I listen to his radio show a lot in PGH).    

2.  Find Veteran Help for JA at TE and RB.   These are the QB's "best friends."   He needs some help.  Here is my plan at TE.  (1) Eifert.  Yes, he may get injured.  But that likely means he costs little.  If he does not get injured, he will have a monster year; (2) Jesse James.  An all-around TE that was underutilized this year in PGH because of McDonald.  He is a GREAT run blocker and receiver; (3) if we miss out on 1, or 2, I'd get Max Williams.  He has all the skills, needs the right environment.  Here is the RB plan:  (1) Coleman.  The guy can pound the rock, and also catch out of the backfield.  He can timeshare this season and start next.  Also I'd draft a RB or UDFA a RB to backup Coleman for next season.   Coleman gives JA a proven pass catcher out of the backfield; (2) M. Ingram.  Very similar to Coleman.  I also believe he can catch it, but Kamara's superiority to basically any RB led to fewer chances.   

3.  WR.  Clearly need additional proven assets.  While Foster had a nice rookie season, we should get some vet help and also some rookie infusion of talent.  Here is the WR plan:  (1) Golden Tate.  Great route runner and receiver; (2) J. Brown.  Try defending him and Foster.  Brown also would thrive with a QB like Allen; (3) P. Dorsett.  Similar to J. Brown, but he's always been buried on a depth chart.  When he is "featured," he performs.  I'd also consider adding: (1) Funchess. Yes, he has underwhelmed.   Perhaps a chance of scenery helps; (2) Cole Beasley/T. Austin.  Either guy could be an upgrade over Zay/McKenzie.  Keep:  D. Thompson.  Should be cheap, knows the system, and often comes up with big plays.  Depth guy.  

Defense:  

I'd mostly hit this with the draft.  Here is the D plan:  (1) Keep the few FA's Lorax and J. Phillips; (2) Claiborn at CB.  Claiborn, Wallace and White--wow; (3) A. Barr--LB.  Not sure how he wasn't on the top 50 list.  Added bonus Allen can practice his vertical leap in practice :) .  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

50 is a lot of slots to fill. Not sure what the point is in listing 50 players to target. A top 20 list would have been more than plenty.

That way they can have Clay on the list ;)

Right next to the guy (Thomas Davis)they probably will sign.

For defense: I'd like to see us make a serious run at Grady Jarrett (DT, Atl), Morris Claiborne (CB, NYJ), and Thomas Davis (LB, Car). Jarrett will be particularly expensive, but I think he'll be worth it as the 3-technique upgrade to Kyle Williams. I also think McDermott will sell Buffalo as his #1 alternative to Atlanta, and I'm not sure Atlanta will bother to match since they are $20 million under with 50 players under contract at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How anyone can look at the rookie RBs who are eating up the NFL this year and say we should invest in bad seed Bell is beyond mystifying.

Money= need + availability.  He is really the only game changing player available on offense.  Instead of overpaying for an average guard, signing an all-pro still in his prime is not terrible.  He would have alot to prove in meeting and such before signing, but I would kick the tires.

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Money= need + availability.  He is really the only game changing player available on offense.  Instead of overpaying for an average guard, signing an all-pro still in his prime is not terrible.  He would have alot to prove in meeting and such before signing, but I would kick the tires.

17 million a year is not "kicking the tires"...  

22 hours ago, MJS said:

50 is a lot of slots to fill. Not sure what the point is in listing 50 players to target. A top 20 list would have been more than plenty.

Of those top 20, the Bills would be ecstatic to get 3, so the majority of FA's they sign will probably come from the 20-50 list with a few under the radar below 50 signings. 

I think 

11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Here is how I would approach this: 

1.  Surround JA with VETERANS on the OL.  No time for rookies to be learning on the job.  If J. Williams from Alabama falls to us, great, take him, but don't reach for another guy.  

In terms of FA OL  I'd target, here they are: (1) Paradis-C.  The QB of the OL.  Would instantly improve the line; (2) Saffold--G.  Would be able to help Teller, and has success guarding another young QB; (3) D. Williams--T.  Another great addition, and not because he's from Carolina.  Now we have added three potential starters to the OL.  I'd also target (4) Ramon Foster-G.  The guy is a "process" guy.  He could compete for a starting spot or work in a rotation.  He is an extremely smart football player.  I also think he'd enjoy leaving the drama at the Steelers (I listen to his radio show a lot in PGH).    

2.  Find Veteran Help for JA at TE and RB.   These are the QB's "best friends."   He needs some help.  Here is my plan at TE.  (1) Eifert.  Yes, he may get injured.  But that likely means he costs little.  If he does not get injured, he will have a monster year; (2) Jesse James.  An all-around TE that was underutilized this year in PGH because of McDonald.  He is a GREAT run blocker and receiver; (3) if we miss out on 1, or 2, I'd get Max Williams.  He has all the skills, needs the right environment.  Here is the RB plan:  (1) Coleman.  The guy can pound the rock, and also catch out of the backfield.  He can timeshare this season and start next.  Also I'd draft a RB or UDFA a RB to backup Coleman for next season.   Coleman gives JA a proven pass catcher out of the backfield; (2) M. Ingram.  Very similar to Coleman.  I also believe he can catch it, but Kamara's superiority to basically any RB led to fewer chances.   

3.  WR.  Clearly need additional proven assets.  While Foster had a nice rookie season, we should get some vet help and also some rookie infusion of talent.  Here is the WR plan:  (1) Golden Tate.  Great route runner and receiver; (2) J. Brown.  Try defending him and Foster.  Brown also would thrive with a QB like Allen; (3) P. Dorsett.  Similar to J. Brown, but he's always been buried on a depth chart.  When he is "featured," he performs.  I'd also consider adding: (1) Funchess. Yes, he has underwhelmed.   Perhaps a chance of scenery helps; (2) Cole Beasley/T. Austin.  Either guy could be an upgrade over Zay/McKenzie.  Keep:  D. Thompson.  Should be cheap, knows the system, and often comes up with big plays.  Depth guy.  

Defense:  

I'd mostly hit this with the draft.  Here is the D plan:  (1) Keep the few FA's Lorax and J. Phillips; (2) Claiborn at CB.  Claiborn, Wallace and White--wow; (3) A. Barr--LB.  Not sure how he wasn't on the top 50 list.  Added bonus Allen can practice his vertical leap in practice :) .  

I like . I think Taron Johnson is a better fit over Claiborne though. He's very physical and a great tackler on top of the coverage skills. AND he was playing with the bad shoulder nearly the whole year til they shut him down. White-Wallace-Taron has to be the top young trio in the league. Let those 3 studs grow together

I'd love to see DeMarcus Lawrence on D. Cowboys have to pay Zeke , Dak , Cooper and have some young pieces on that DL. Lawrence opposite Hughes would be lethal. 

Also doubt Barr would come here having to see Josh Allen everyday , word is he's been suffering from severe nightmares since week 3

• Like (+1) 1

On a related note, the Bears are interested in Kareem Hunt:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-cb-bears-ryan-pace-matt-nagy-20190114-story.html

4. Neither Nagy nor Pace shut the door on the possibility of the Bears considering signing running back Kareem Hunt to help their offense.

Hunt was cut by the Chiefs in late November after TMZ uncovered video of the running back shoving a young woman and kicking her during an argument in a hallway outside of his Cleveland residence. The NFL placed Hunt on the commissioner’s exempt list soon after.

Still, Nagy acknowledged that he spoke with Hunt earlier this month to see how he was doing. The Bears coach was with Hunt throughout the 2017 season when he led the league in rushing as a rookie.

READ MORE: How should the Bears and other NFL teams assess character when evaluating players like Kareem Hunt? »

The Bears would certainly face fallout for signing a player with a history of violence against women. But from the tone of Monday’s news conference, Nagy and Pace were hardly averse to the idea.

“The circumstances are always different,” Pace said. “We’re not even there yet. I mean, I know what he is as a player obviously from watching. Matt knows more about him as a person. We’re not even close to that point.”

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How anyone can look at the rookie RBs who are eating up the NFL this year and say we should invest in bad seed Bell is beyond mystifying.

Bad seed because he wanted to be paid what he is worth?

Come on man, you're a better poster than that. Bell did nothing wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Bad seed because he wanted to be paid what he is worth?

Come on man, you're a better poster than that. Bell did nothing wrong.

I don't know about bad seed, more like $17 million/per bad investment. Look at how his replacements performed for a mere fraction of the price. Add to that he will be out of football for over a year and a half when he plays next in a new system, who knows what you will get for the guaranteed 55 million or so it will cost you. Bad investment imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

For defense: I'd like to see us make a serious run at Grady Jarrett (DT, Atl), Morris Claiborne (CB, NYJ), and Thomas Davis (LB, Car). Jarrett will be particularly expensive, but I think he'll be worth it as the 3-technique upgrade to Kyle Williams. I also think McDermott will sell Buffalo as his #1 alternative to Atlanta, and I'm not sure Atlanta will bother to match since they are $20 million under with 50 players under contract at the moment.

Love it. Those 3 moves pretty much guarantee the defense keeps functioning at a fairly high level.