Pickup Truck nerds needed

Teddy KGB

What pickup truck is the best for longevity and gas mileage while towing 5-8,000 pounds ? 

I see all sorts of random info all over the web.

Dodge Ram 1500 sounds like the guy but I feel like i trust the Toyota Tundra on longevity ? 

Someone school me on what to get.   

Edited by Teddy KGB

8 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What pickup truck is the best for longevity and gas mileage while towing 5-8,000 pounds ? 

Dodge Ram 1500 sounds like the guy but I feel like i trust the Toyota Tundra on longevity ? 

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

10 foot trailer with work equipment. 

i used to tow a construction trailer all over gods creation. the 2001 Dodge Ram i used to do this had three transmissions installed. the original, had that torn apart and rebuilt, then put a Jasper in it. it was a good truck and i didn't think it owed me anything, i put a lot of wear and tear on it and it did after all, make me a lot of money. if your going to be doing a lot of towing, the best thing you can do for your tranny is to make sure it is properly cooled, i would install a secondary transmission cooler.

transmissions today are quite a bit different than they used to be. most are either 6 or 8 geared now, depending on which truck you have.

Edited by Foxx

8 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

wow, calling Mr. ags a nerd. He doesn't like it when people call him a nerd.

Dodge is only good if you're going to Cummins route.  Avoid them. Their gas motors are *****.

If you're looking top of the line you go GMC right now. Their features and trucks are the best.  Hands down. My dad just sold his f150 for a GMC 1500.  The f150 never had enough ass for hauling. The Toyota I've driven are between the two but I'd take a Chevy over Toyota right now, but it'd be close.  

If you can find a deal on a f250 or 2500 it may be worth it. They're not too expensive used and pull that much more efficiently.

• Like (+1) 1

What sucks about the truck buying experience is there's no "towing test drive" and a lot of the time, it's the "feel" of how it's going on the road and whether you can back the trailer up ok and you're not white knuckling it up an incline, especially in bad weather.  It's not like "Jared" is going to hook up the dealership boat so you can drive it all around the block.  They should, however.  

I've used pickup trucks as work vehicles and I use one for a personal vehicle.  I've towed mostly heavy equipment (Bobcats, small backhoes, etc.)

Dodge RAMs always look the sharpest but their reliability is very suspect.  I really don't like them in northeast United States weather whatsoever.  They seem to corrode a lot faster than the other brands.  

Ford will tow more but Chevy, while it'll tow a little less, will tow it more comfortably, especially if you are towing plus you've got the AC on, fully loaded cab of people, etc.  

I love the Tundra for its look, drive and bed capacity but don't like it for towing.  IMO, Toyota made that truck for bed hauling only.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Dodge is only good if you're going to Cummins route.  Avoid them. Their gas motors are *****.

If you're looking top of the line you go GMC right now. Their features and trucks are the best.  Hands down. My dad just sold his f150 for a GMC 1500.  The f150 never had enough ass for hauling. The Toyota I've driven are between the two but I'd take a Chevy over Toyota right now, but it'd be close.  

If you can find a deal on a f250 or 2500 it may be worth it. They're not too expensive used and pull that much more efficiently.

Whats wrong w the gas motors ?   Found a mossy oak outdoorsman lifted one w 60k miles that I kinda dig the pricing 

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Whats wrong w the gas motors ?   Found a mossy oak outdoorsman lifted one w 60k miles that I kinda dig the pricing 

Lifted trucks can't pull *****.  And you need to have a good enough trailer to have it drop enough to pull efficiently.

Gas motors are not as good as diesel obviously.  But, if you're going to get a gas motor make sure you find one that's not been toyed up or tricked out. Just means Joe Dirt drove it around until repo'd or already been down to the Walmart burning out tires to impress Brenda May SueEllen his girlfriend (and sister).

The towing package is a must, imo. It takes the burden off turning off overdrive.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Get a diesel. My recommendation would be a Ford w/ the 7.3l or a Dodge, any year is pretty good for the Cummins as Boyst62 says. I drive a 2000 F350 w/ about 300,000 miles on her and haul a lot of weight both in the bed and on trailers. 

A Cummins mechanical before it went all fancy or an 80s diesel would just be so much fun. You have to cover the tailpipe to get enough of a vacuum, let it turn over for an hour before it starts, hope it's not too cold and keep kerosene in the fuel ... But, boy they're reliable

• Haha (+1) 1