O Line and Special Teams Coaches Hiring Wait

BubbaT

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So there is Pat Flaherty who has been around forever. He's 62 and coached those Giants Super Bowl teams. It's hard to judge his work in Jacksonville becuase you know Marrone is controlling things. Now I've sat in clinics with him and he knows what he's doing, but not sure he's the best fit. I asked him some questions about technique and things that he really wasn't able to answer. He gave me wordy walk around answers. I'm not sure he is the best teacher. He's better with veteran players imo. So if we get some in free agency, all good. 

I would think that Ray Brown would be he guy with all of his playing knowledge and such. He turned Andrew Norwell and Daryl Williams into all pro players. He has a working relationship with our braintrust and is well respected by players becuase he's done it at a pretty high level. 

Somebody on here suggested Corey Matthaei, who is the assistant o line coach in KC and I think it's an interesting idea. Hopefully he could bring Mitch Morse with him. 

It could just be a guy who is still in the playoffs. 

I am pleased to read your insight.

and yes , it  certainly could be a Coach in the playoffs.
good info on Brown.
who is Mitch Morse ? : )
 can Brown bring Norwell with him!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BmarvB said:

Won't be long. McD is sticking to his process

The process of getting turned down?

Someone mentioned Ronnie Jones for ST's?

Speaking of Ronnie's......what's Ronnie Vinklarek up to for that OL gig?

Or........who was the best man in McD's wedding?

Gotta' be someone willing to take on a line lead by the mighty fine Russ Bodine!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Knowing the Bills, they will probably try to fill all three of their openings at the same time with coaches nobody has heard of or wants.

McDermott has actually done a good job getting respected position coaches. I think Ray Brown is definitely gonna be the OL coach. Makes to much sense

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am pleased to read your insight.

and yes , it  certainly could be a Coach in the playoffs.
good info on Brown.
who is Mitch Morse ? : )
 can Brown bring Norwell with him!

Thanks!

Brown can bring RT Daryl Williams with him. He was huge for his development during their time in Carolina. Norwell can't really be moved until 2020. 

Mitch Morse is the best center on the market imo. He plays for KC and is just a really solid, smart player. He's still young as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks!

Brown can bring RT Daryl Williams with him. He was huge for his development during their time in Carolina. Norwell can't really be moved until 2020. 

Mitch Morse is the best center on the market imo. He plays for KC and is just a really solid, smart player. He's still young as well. 

Actually the Jags could trade Norwell and save $13M in actual cash...........and get a small net savings in cap room(with $12M in dead money)..........they just can't release him because his 2019 base is guaranteed and they'd have to eat all of that space.

It's unlikely he'd be traded because there isn't much savings for the Jags and also because he's coming off a bad year so not sure anyone's willing to fork out $13M in salary........but if the Bills find themselves unable to lure free agents he is a familiar face for Beane and McD and they got more cap space than.......well.....ANYTHING else.:beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Greatdane21 said:

A lot of these staff positions get filled during the senior bowl week . Most of the gms and head coaches are there plus 

Coaches looking for work are there to make contacts.

Can you prove that, because teams have been filling out their staffs for weeks now.

Just because coaches are in one room, doesn't mean they are going to wait to take a job until then.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, BubbaT said:

Is anybody else surprised that it is taking this long to hire these 2 positions? With all the staffs being put together I would have thought the Bills would be diving in to obtain coaches before many were scooped up. I wonder 1) If the Bills jobs are not viewed as attractive at all or 2) if they are waiting for people still in the playoffs

A lot of assistant coach interviewing and hiring takes place at the Sr Bowl. Newly hired HCs fill out their staffs more quickly because they have to be prepared with that plan when interviewing, and need to fill out a complete staff right away to hit the ground running. It’s usually just coaches they are familiar with and have worked with before. There are college all star games going on every weekend and these guys need to have someone there at the practices. Teams that have just 2-3 openings can be more patient and procedural. And a lot of those deals go down in Mobile. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

A lot of assistant coach interviewing and hiring takes place at the Sr Bowl. Newly hired HCs fill out their staffs more quickly because they have to be prepared with that plan when interviewing, and need to fill out a complete staff right away to hit the ground running. It’s usually just coaches they are familiar with and have worked with before. There are college all star games going on every weekend and these guys need to have someone there at the practices. Teams that have just 2-3 openings can be more patient and procedural. And a lot of those deals go down in Mobile. 

Thank you. I appreciate the insight. Normally the Bills are in the position of getting a new head coach and whole new staff and diving head first into doing so.  I had forgotten the timeline for smaller numbers of staff hirings. I also had figured they might have someone in mind for each of those coaching positions after they jettisoned the incumbent coach which would make for a quicker hire.  I have no idea how the Bills jobs are viewed. My previously expressed concern about Buffalo was not about the area but more the Beane/McDermott pairing and whether year 3 of a coaches's tenure after coming off 6-10 and with huge deficiencies in all 3 areas where coaches need to be hired would be a detriment to finding an outstanding person.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, BubbaT said:

Is anybody else surprised that it is taking this long to hire these 2 positions? With all the staffs being put together I would have thought the Bills would be diving in to obtain coaches before many were scooped up. I wonder 1) If the Bills jobs are not viewed as attractive at all or 2) if they are waiting for people still in the playoffs

Now the positions have been filled, would be interested in your thoughts?

On 1/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, teef said:

i'm pretty much always looking for a reason to take xanax, so this will suffice.  

I’m always terrified that the mail man isn’t going to arrive. It’s a burden, for sure.