How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

Apples and oranges.  Some folks are trying to make these guys responsible for the misdeeds of their predecessors, and count their 17 years of suck in with what McD and Bean are doing. 

Do you have any examples of this because this is nonsense

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Most Every NFL team is in the playoffs with some frequency.  35% of the teams make the playoffs every year. It is not that big of an accomplishment.  Sometimes former super bowl winners like the Raven's Harbaugh are considered on the hot seat for not delivering recent results.  Many Bengals fans would say that "continuity" just let to a decade of futility under Marvin Lewis.  Bills fans are truly scarred. The think a playoff winning coach is such a rare commodity that you must keep that person for ever.   There are three levels of coaching 1) gets more out of the team than the talent would suggest 2) gets the expected results out of the talent 3) gets below expected results based on talent. 

You can be in the first category without having a winning record.   I don't know where to place McDermott.  The talent on offense is awful.  He can't catch the balls for the players.  But Mcdermott thinks the position coaching is bad too (he fired several).   The handling of QBs, the high number of penalties,  weak offensive play calling, piss poor clock management and hiring the wrong positional coaches don't really indicate a strong head coach though. 

Most don't share their division with NE.

How often do the Jets and Miami make the playoffs?

The talent divide isn't that great, but teams in our division are handed 2 L's every season...except for the odd one-off game they manage to take from Belichick once or twice a decade. They also keep cycling through front offices and players looking for the magic formula to get over the NE hump...which usually just means they are in constant disarray and rarely in position to actually do just that.

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Most don't share their division with NE.

The whole time NE has been on a tear we've gone 9-7  3 times.  8-8 twice and losing records the rest of the years.  And in at least 3 of those years we split with them. So I don't think this has a whole lot to do with our lack of playoff experience.  Winning the division perhaps, but making the playoffs, I think not.

Wow. My, how this fan base has turned on this regime and rookie QB. 

Playoffs or fire them all!

Win the division or fire them all!

beat the Pats* or fire them all. 

Did is anyone else see what Tom Brady and BB did this weekend?  It was surgical. There is a reason he is the GOAT. It sucks that he is in the AFCE, but as long as that duo is together, you can forget about winning this division. You can puff out your chest and say a good coach will knock them off, but who are you really kidding?  Until time has it’s way, or Brady retires, it’s their division. Besting those two cannot be your measuring stick. No other team has done it consistently [except the Giants -twice].  

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Wow. My, how this fan base has turned on this regime and rookie QB. 

Playoffs or fire them all!

Win the division or fire them all!

beat the Pats* or fire them all. 

Did is anyone else see what Tom Brady and BB did this weekend?  It was surgical. There is a reason he is the GOAT. It sucks that he is in the AFCE, but as long as that duo is together, you can forget about winning this division. You can puff out your chest and say a good coach will knock them off, but who are you really kidding?  Until time has it’s way, or Brady retires, it’s their division. Besting those two cannot be your measuring stick. No other team has done it consistently [except the Giants -twice].  

They're underdogs this weekend against a first year starting QB.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's the opposite of playing it safe.

They essentially took the safe route in giving themselves at least 3 years by blowing it all up. Had the reloaded and not traded away/let some talented players walk there would've been pressure on them to win right away. 

Thank you! It's like saying the contractor who comes in and says he needs to tear everything down but requires several months in order to get the job done is ballsy. Nahh. The contractor who comes in and says he can do x,y, and z and have the project completed in a timely manner is ballsy. Time will tell if they know what they're doing, but they took the safe route IMO.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

They're underdogs this weekend against a first year starting QB. 

Tony Sparano was able to do it once with an innovative offensive idea that totally caught them off guard and they won the division that year.  So it's not like it can't be done.

I hate this whole whiny thing that we can't win until NE implodes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

That’s an historically great first year starting QB though. How many teams get one of those ? 

If I'm to believe Josh Allen is the real deal and Beane knows how to build an offense, why can't we get it done?

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

If I'm to believe Josh Allen is the real deal and Beane knows how to build an offense, why can't we get it done?

There is no way to say they can’t get it done. They can, but imo they painted themselves in a corner with their teardown strategy. The reason is they will need to be exceptional at drafting players and get fortunate with some judicious FA signings. They didn’t keep much to build around, and to me that means they may run out of time before their blueprint leads to success. 

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Tony Sparano was able to do it once with an innovative offensive idea that totally caught them off guard and they won the division that year.  So it's not like it can't be done.

Brady did go on ir the first quarter of the first game. Phins were also playing a 4th place schedule. Both teams finished at 11-5 that year. Its also the same year the colts and titans both finished at 13-3 or something close to that

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That's the opposite of playing it safe.

They essentially took the safe route in giving themselves at least 3 years by blowing it all up. Had the reloaded and not traded away/let some talented players walk there would've been pressure on them to win right away. 

Exactly...........when The Pegs sent Whaley out to that PC to send the message that "7-9 wasn't good enough" with that roster he was basically saying the next coach needs to do A LOT better with that roster.

So by tearing it down.........it bought time for McD to play the "fake it til' you make it" game.

And he's been doing it ever since.

But at some point you gotta' be able to gather up all those experiences.........bad coaching hires at OC and OL and ST, dumb personnel decisions like going big and slow at WR, the Peterman fiasco(s), bad sideline work like time management and almost unbillievably bad use of challenges............to name a few............and turn them into wisdom.

Next year is when we find out what McD learned and how he can apply that knowledge gained at The Pegs(and Bills fans) expense. 

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Cause Josh Allen isnt the real deal and Beane hasnt shown he can get it done.

I give McD and Beane credit. They fleeced an owner who doesnt have a clue into getting a full 5 years to have a .500 record

Edited by Chris66

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You’re right. It’s whiny. I mean if only the Bills had been better. 

NE wouldn’t have won 15 of 17 AFCE titles, been to 8 Super Bowls (winning 5) and not had a losing record in 17 years. 

Its not not like the division has been up for grabs every year. That team is arguably the greatest dynasty ever in professional football. 

Dont tell me not to take that into account, or that taking that into account is being whiny. It’s not an inferiority complex - it is recognizing greatness when you see it. 

Just now, El Guapo said:

Dont tell me not to take that into account, or that taking that into account is being whiny. It’s not an inferiority complex - it is recognizing greatness when you see it. 

I can see your point on winning the division sortof.  But not on us not making it as a wild card more than once.  All those years we went 7-9 or 6-10 we only played them twice.  We lost the other 7 or 8 to other teams.  How does NE affect that?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Cause Josh Allen isnt the real deal and Beane hasnt shown he can get it done.

I give McD and Beane credit. They fleeced an owner who doesnt have a clue into getting a full 5 years to have a .500 record

But if you're wrong and Allen is the real deal and Beane knows how to build a competent offense, why can't it be us? The same people who believe in the regime are telling me it can't be done. I have higher expectations I suppose.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

I can see your point on winning the division sortof.  But not on us not making it as a wild card more than once.  All those years we went 7-9 or 6-10 we only played them twice.  We lost the other 7 or 8 to other teams.  How does NE affect that?

I’m not making excuses for past regimes. I’m only saying that to measure McBeane by the Patriots yard stick is not fair next year. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

But if you're wrong and Allen is the real deal and Beane knows how to build a competent offense, why can't it be us? The same people who believe in the regime are telling me it can't be done. I have higher expectations I suppose.

I dont think this regime can. Mcd knows defense he has shown that. He has also shown that he doesnt know offense very much. My guess is they will put it together. Pegs will get a new coach to make it work. One of mcd or beane is not going to get the chance to see this through

Just now, reddogblitz said:

OK.  How about WC?  Is that a fair measure?

Enough wins for a WC. Tie breakers can be a B word to hold a coach accountable for. If we win 9 next year and we’re competitive in the other games, showing good progress, I can live with it. 

I want continuity and progress. 

Now, if BB and Brady retire after winning their 6th SB this year, then game on!