How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

Anything less than playoffs next year would be severely disappointing.  It could certainly happen - key injuries can change the fortunes of any team - but there better be a damn good excuse for this team not improving by 3/4 games next year at least.  I am bought into the plan, and was certainly willing to be patient with what was shaping up from the beginning to be a down year this year, but I want to see a step up.  The potential is certainly there if McBeane nail this off season in their respective roles.  I doubt this is different from most fans perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FLFan said:

Anything less than playoffs next year would be severely disappointing.  It could certainly happen - key injuries can change the fortunes of any team - but there better be a damn good excuse for this team not improving by 3/4 games next year at least.  I am bought into the plan, and was certainly willing to be patient with what was shaping up from the beginning to be a down year this year, but I want to see a step up.  The potential is certainly there if McBeane nail this off season in their respective roles.  I doubt this is different from most fans perspective.

i think this is how the majority of reasonable fans see it.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Minimum of 2 years IMO..regardless of the cap space and draft picks we have, we still have so many holes to fill.  I think that the fans that are expecting 10-11 wins next year are going to be disappointed. 

Why in Buffalo are the expectations so low?

Why is 10 wins not realistic? 

Why do other fans get to enjoy Playoff games, and Bills fans have to be on 5-year rebuild plans?

The culture excuse is gone, McDermott is in his 3rd year, they have their hand-picked QB, the defense has it's hand-picked MLB, Beane has executed his plan to dump all players not associated with the future. 

I don't see how 8-8 next season could be spun as progress. Really 9-7 is on the fringe of Playoff contention. That's not good enough. The Sabres are out of the Playoffs after briefly leading the entire NHL in points, the Bills haven't won a Playoff game since 1995. I mean when does the winning ever start in Buffalo?

Brady will be 42 next season, the Dolphins have a new HC, the Jets have a new HC. Why isn't 4-2 realistic?

Home Games

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Washington

Denver Horse Teeth

Philly Iggles

Miami

NE*

JESTS

Away games

Cleveland

Pitt

Dallas

NYJints

Flaming Thumbtacks

Miami

NE*

JESTS

Call me crazy, but I think they could win every home game on that schedule except the Cheesesteaks, and could win at least three of the away games. 

A lot of people on here think Allen is a lock to be our franchise QB, it’s still too early to tell one way or the other.

IMO 8 wins should be the benchmark to hit next season or McBeane should be evaluated for replacement. Of course, that is contingent on Allen continuing to grow. If Allen regresses Pegs needs to toss the baby and bath water out.

23 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Home Games

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Washington

Denver Horse Teeth

Philly Iggles

Miami

NE*

JESTS

Away games

Cleveland

Pitt

Dallas

NYJints

Flaming Thumbtacks

Miami

NE*

JESTS

Call me crazy, but I think they could win every home game on that schedule except the Cheesesteaks, and could win at least three of the away games. 

the Bills swept the home games twice in the peak years of the Jim Kelly Era

so demanding a sweeping with this team is insanity.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The benchmark should be playoffs.

Raise the bar. Expect higher standards.

off course the playoffs, but they are at best gunning for a Wild Card spot with the Pats winning the division

and WC is sometimes harder than a division win

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like I said, fans need to look around the league. It doesn't take 4 years to build a perennial playoff team. 

My point remains that next year isn't really year 3 of the rebuild. It is at most year 2. They did it a funky way year 1 but they got away with it and made the playoffs ending the drought. Then they embarked on the rebuild. They have to be better next year. They don't have to show they are a perennial contending type team.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t disagree. I just temper my expectations with what I think Pegs will do. With 8 wins and Allen showing more growth, I’d say it’s doubtful McBeane don’t get a 4th year.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The benchmark is the playoffs. It shouldn't however be "playoffs or bust" which I have seen strewn throughout this thread. It is progress or bust, but progress that still lands short of the playoffs in 2019 shouldn't lead to house cleaning.

Follow the Colts example and upgrade the O line around Allen, then add another reliable receiver and of course immediately replace Clay. If Allen can take the next step in his development without the sophomore jinx, we have a chance to return to the playoffs

9 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Follow the Colts example and upgrade the O line around Allen, then add another reliable receiver and of course immediately replace Clay. If Allen can take the next step in his development without the sophomore jinx, we have a chance to return to the playoffs

every other team that cares in 2019, many of them already far better than the Bills, will also be upgrading at their weaknesses.

This Front Office bought themselves time to build the team after overachieving and sneaking in to the playoffs year one. This last season was the full strip down and rebuild and we also had some bad luck with our O-line. This year should be a step in the right direction but will still take time for the new pieces to gel. I still predict an 8-9 win season and whether that is enough is out of our control.

15 hours ago, teef said:

who said this?

You.

By incorrectly associating 17 years of missed playoffs with the need for a major change when three previous extensive teardowns did not work.

The Bills team that McD inherited from Anthony Lynn was 7th in the NFL in scoring offense thru 15 games with the fewest turnovers ever in the SB era...........when you tear that down and finish nearly dead last in that regard for the next two years........well that looks dumb.

And the talent level of the defense he inherited was excellent and the positions of need on D were fairly easy to replace(LB's and safeties).

And the long term cap outlook was excellent even then..........you can pay your good young players now because you got a bunch of vets that will be gone in a few seasons and no first round picks to extend from the 2013 or 2015 drafts etc..

There was no need for a major personnel or offensive scheme shakeup...........and the thought that there was one needed at the time of the coaching search was as foreign of a concept at the time as thinking that the Bills need to select a QB in round one this year would be now.      

I mean a team that couldn't win under a half-interested Rex Ryan was proof that major change was needed?   The narrative made little sense............and then to finally have the QB they've been searching for for decades fall into their lap on draft day at a time when they didn't even have their GM in place!  WTF:lol:    It was utter buffoonery.    

Now as Belichick has said..........you gotta' be making bad decisions all the time to stay bad in the NFL...........and certainly not everything the Bills have done under McBeane has been bad.........but it's hard to run with the big dogs when you are rationalizing why you need to stay on the porch.

The alternative to the sub-mediocrity that most of the McD regime has been are teams like the Chiefs, Rams, Texans and Colts.........all teams that hired the right people and picked the right players and made the jump to contenders pretty quickly and without all of the labor pains.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You.

By incorrectly associating 17 years of missed playoffs with the need for a major change when three previous extensive teardowns did not work.

The Bills team that McD inherited from Anthony Lynn was 7th in the NFL in scoring offense thru 15 games with the fewest turnovers ever in the SB era...........when you tear that down and finish nearly dead last in that regard for the next two years........well that looks dumb.

And the talent level of the defense he inherited was excellent and the positions of need on D were fairly easy to replace(LB's and safeties).

And the long term cap outlook was excellent even then..........you can pay your good young players now because you got a bunch of vets that will be gone in a few seasons and no first round picks to extend from the 2013 or 2015 drafts etc..

There was no need for a major personnel or offensive scheme shakeup...........and the thought that there was one needed at the time of the coaching search was as foreign of a concept at the time as thinking that the Bills need to select a QB in round one this year would be now.      

I mean a team that couldn't win under a half-interested Rex Ryan was proof that major change was needed?   The narrative made little sense............and then to finally have the QB they've been searching for for decades fall into their lap on draft day at a time when they didn't even have their GM in place!  WTF:lol:    It was utter buffoonery.    

Now as Belichick has said..........you gotta' be making bad decisions all the time to stay bad in the NFL...........and certainly not everything the Bills have done under McBeane has been bad.........but it's hard to run with the big dogs when you are rationalizing why you need to stay on the porch.

The alternative to the sub-mediocrity that most of the McD regime has been are teams like the Chiefs, Rams, Texans and Colts.........all teams that hired the right people and picked the right players and made the jump to contenders pretty quickly and without all of the labor pains.

I’m not even going to bother to read this. If you’re so petty that you have to put words in people’s mouth to make a point, you’re not worth the time.  Grow up kid. You’re out of your league. 

So....can you actually quote what you claim I said. Just so we all can see?

Edited by teef

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The benchmark is the playoffs. It shouldn't however be "playoffs or bust" which I have seen strewn throughout this thread. It is progress or bust, but progress that still lands short of the playoffs in 2019 shouldn't lead to house cleaning.

I think you are still looking at this thru somewhat of an "offseason" vacuum.

HOW McD performs as the steward of the franchise..........the "can he win a championship" eye test......is as important as anything.

That's really what killed Rex more than the record.

Rex had his moments..........the team showed up big time in games like the road game against Seattle or both of his road games in New England..........but it was the eggs that were laid in other weeks(home against Pitt......road Washington) and the failure to finish off opponents they had by the throat in games at KC and Philly and Oakland that ended up defining him.

For McD...........blowout losses and utter domination by NE are huge factors in the eye test..........he's gotta' show consistent,  sound impact from the sideline or I do think the Pegula's will be looking for somebody to help take the team from "the process" to "the finish". 

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you are still looking at this thru somewhat of an "offseason" vacuum.

HOW McD performs as the steward of the franchise..........the "can he win a championship" eye test......is as important as anything.

That's really what killed Rex more than the record.

Rex had his moments..........the team showed up big time in games like the road game against Seattle or both of his road games in New England..........but it was the eggs that were laid in other weeks(home against Pitt......road Washington) and the failure to finish off opponents they had by the throat in games at KC and Philly and Oakland that ended up defining him.

For McD...........blowout losses and utter domination by NE are huge factors in the eye test..........he's gotta' show consistent,  sound impact from the sideline or I do think the Pegula's will be looking for somebody to help take the team from "the process" to "the finish". 

That interesting. Wgr had a miami beat guy on this morning and he was talking about the potential hire of Flores. He stated he wasnt worried about it because coaches during rebuilds get fired before said teams become contenders.

11 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m not even going to bother to read this. If you’re so petty that you have to put words in people’s mouth to make a point, you’re not worth the time.  Grow up kid. You’re out of your league. 

So....can you actually quote what you claim I said. Just so we all can see?

Teef at no point did I even CONSIDER that you would read that post.:lol:

You are a self-assured, smug know-it-all (I'm guessing that applies to most topics:flirt:)......who is conveniently above discussing-it-all.