How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

Being a top contender might take more years, but turning a 6-10 to a 10-6 season can be as soon as NEXT YEAR. Good additions to the OLine and receiver corp, a few lucky bounces, no major injury bug, better play calling, more experience for Allen& Daboll, etc. All possible, and realistic too.

This weekend we've also seen GREAT coaching. Sad to say, but Billichick rules them all. Brady has become a super manager QB. He does so little but audibles, reads well, makes few mistakes, is very alert, but overall lots of little passes, sweeps, checkdowns, he hasn't to be Mr Hero. Bill is a damn genius in all phases. The Cheats have next to no weaknesses but not much in superstars defensive & offensive players like in the other playoff teams, yet they keep winning. Contrary to some on here, I'm not in the fire everyone crowd ha ha. And realize McD was only a 2nd year guy, but he'll need to get better for sure as well, not just the players.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Closing the gap means improvement. Progress is closing the gap. I’ll wait and watch and decide when I see the games.. NOW is not the time to tell how I will feel next season. 

Closing the Gap means joining the small crowd of superior teams. Bouncing around between 6-10 and 10-6 without ever winning playoff games makes you the Bengals. 

58 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I disagree. I think next year we can be legit competitors. Allen was 5-5 as a starter , 5-6 counting Hou but that could have easily been a W.

I just think we have legit young future pro bowlers , if Allen keeps progressing ,with that defense that should be even better , no reason we can't be competing next year

We have way too many holes to fill and we don't have a defense like the Bears to carry our offense. If we made a playoff push in 2020 I would still be very impressed. 

• Haha (+1) 1

People want to talk about expectations.  Let the league/Allen’s contemporaries set the bar on what those expectations will be.

The previous FIVE 1st Round QBs have ALL in their SECOND SEASONS guided their teams to DIVISION TITLES.

Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson.

Thats the realistic bar for the BUFFALO BILLS if they Are serious.  Maybe they really aren’t serious.  Or maybe they will set it lower for fear of being forced to start over again.

But that is the bar set.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Man.........I don't know if I can top your "after 17 years it was time to tear it down for the first time ever" take...........that was a hawwwwwt f*cking take,  champ!:thumbsup:

this is the stupid ***** you do.  can you show me once where i stated "tear it down for the first time ever".    you love to create made up scenarios to try to win an argument that doesn't exist.  you're honestly the board's annoying girlfriend.  go ahead....show me where i made any comment where i said it was time to tear it down for the first time ever.  i'm curious how you try to twist this.  as of now, you're busy being you.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Man.........I don't know if I can top your "after 17 years it was time to tear it down for the first time ever" take...........that was a hawwwwwt f*cking take,  champ!:thumbsup:

I’m am NOT a blind supporter. They have NOT done everything perfectly. Nor have I, and possibly you. Hindsight is great, and every team’s fan base can use it. But the whole 17 year thing is tired and lazy. We have new owners and a new FO. I can understand frustration, but if the 17 year thing is something anybody plans to call upon, that ended last year. Get a new schtick. 

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

People want to talk about expectations.  Let the league/Allen’s contemporaries set the bar on what those expectations will be.

The previous FIVE 1st Round QBs have ALL in their SECOND SEASONS guided their teams to DIVISION TITLES.

Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson.

Thats the realistic bar for the BUFFALO BILLS if they Are serious.  Maybe they really aren’t serious.  Or maybe they will set it lower for fear of being forced to start over again.

But that is the bar set.

Many people on this board can't grasp the obvious point you are making .  They seem to think somehow that teams go 6-10, then 7-9, the 8-8, then 9-7, then 10-6 like it is some sort of corporate "continual improvement" process. 

8 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Closing the Gap means joining the small crowd of superior teams. Bouncing around between 6-10 and 10-6 without ever winning playoff games makes you the Bengals. 

No, actually “closing the gap” means “closing the gap”.  If you want to change that to “perennial Super Bowl contenders”, then we have a new story. 

That’s what the thread was about. it’sin the title. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

No, actually “closing the gap” means “closing the gap”.  If you want to change that to “perennial Super Bowl contenders”, then we have a new story. 

Oh, so you are discussing closing the gap, as not actually finishing the process of closing the gap? or are you just discussing closing the gap to becoming a perennial slighly better loser? you make no sense whatsoever. 

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Oh, so you are discussing closing the gap, as not actually finishing the process of closing the gap? or are you just discussing closing the gap to becoming a perennial slighly better loser? you make no sense whatsoever. 

I’m only responding to the thread title. Others have taken it someplace else. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

So you have gone from closing the gap (in the title) to wanting a SB trophy. I think we jumped ahead a bit! 

1 minute ago, teef said:

It’s shocking how others have taken this some place else. 

Angry little elf’s! 

As long as we appear to be going forward and making progress, I’m good with that. I don’t want to sell out in FA with big splashy signings for instant wins that crush us down the line. I don’t need immediate satisfaction. I want a sustainable winning program. I’m optimistic right now. I could be very wrong, but I won’t let it make me miserable. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like I said.

It doesn't take 4 years to build a Super Bowl contender. You can turn a team around in ONE YEAR.

So many Bills fans don't think this is possible due to the past 20 years of ***** spewed from numerous GMs/HCs.

so true. the bills are in eternal rebuildland. eternal mediocrity. new generations of optimists who turn bitter and cynical over time.

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

No, they accelerated the dead cap, there is a difference. It's like if you have credit card debt and continue paying the minimum due and keep living a somewhat decent lifestyle vs suffering for two years and paying it all off and living a real nice lifestyle long term.

Thats a terrible analogy. It’s more like giving away all the stuff you bought with the credit card, paying it off, then having to get back to the credit limit by replacing all the stuff you gave away. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What big splashy signings would "crush us down the line"?

Mario Williams type signings do not make for sustained winning. We were NOT one player away. Poyer and Hyde I liked much more. I’m not for selling out for instant gratification unless it makes long term sense. 

Look, we have a couple different camps here. I prefer to be hopeful and realize every move won’t be perfect. I want to win and win now. I realize that’s not easy to do. I know others are frustrated and want immediate success. Everybody is frustrated, but anyone who wants “playoffs or bust” type of regime changes is just asking for more frustration. New FO, new coaches, new schemes, different fit of players needed, etc. Starting over every 2-3 years is how we got where we are. I give these guys a chance until I’m POSITIVE they can’t do it. You can feel any way you like. 

Nobody is going to change anyone else’s opinion here, so I’ll back off. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Thats a terrible analogy. It’s more like giving away all the stuff you bought with the credit card, paying it off, then having to get back to the credit limit by replacing all the stuff you gave away. 

You mean the stuff that they didn't buy, but inherited? 

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What in the actual f*ck are you talking about?:doh:

Donahoe tore it down.........Jauron and Levy tore it down hard AGAIN..........Buddy and Chan specifically tried to do a 180 from what Jauron did a miserable job of doing.........so yet another re-build.............you are oblivious if you think we haven't seen numerous tear downs and their result in the past 17 years.

You must have missed teef and Scott discussing this, or it would make sense