How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they need to make the playoffs in 2019. I think they need to improve... 7 wins they probably stay, 8 or more and progress from Allen they definitely stay. 

2020 is the year when I think they HAVE to make the postseason again. By that point this will be their team lock, stock and barrell. 

7 wins in year 3, playing a 3rd place schedule and you give them a pass?  7 wins can't happen unless Allen gets hurt.  If Allen bombs then they both get fired.  They pushed all the chips in and used multiple picks for Allen.  I think it was the right pick but if he regresses then they have to lose their jobs.  It doesn't take long to get better.  Must make playoffs in 2019 barring injury or crazy tiebreaker scenarios

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

7 wins in year 3, playing a 3rd place schedule and you give them a pass?  7 wins can't happen unless Allen gets hurt.  If Allen bombs then they both get fired.  They pushed all the chips in and used multiple picks for Allen.  I think it was the right pick but if he regresses then they have to lose their jobs.  It doesn't take long to get better.  Must make playoffs in 2019 barring injury or crazy tiebreaker scenarios

No I don't give them anything. I am not the owner of the Buffalo Bills. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Barring no injuries, it is playoffs or bust for me.  Three years is more than enough time in today's NFL. They chose to go the rebuild route and they are the ones that created the dead cap space. Therefore they must produce in 2019.  Anything less than the playoffs and I fire both of them unless there are mitigating circumstances like crazy injuries or they win 10 games but still end up out of the playoffs on tiebreakers.  

No, they accelerated the dead cap, there is a difference. It's like if you have credit card debt and continue paying the minimum due and keep living a somewhat decent lifestyle vs suffering for two years and paying it all off and living a real nice lifestyle long term.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they need to make the playoffs in 2019. I think they need to improve... 7 wins they probably stay, 8 or more and progress from Allen they definitely stay. 

2020 is the year when I think they HAVE to make the postseason again. By that point this will be their team lock, stock and barrell. 

EDIT: That said with the Dolphins apparently about to have a major reset to target a QB in 2020 and the way our schedule shapes up beyond that (playing the AFC North at a good time IMO and Denver and Tennessee as our 3rd place opponents plus the NFC East) I think the Bills could very well be in wildcard contention in 2019 and the Pats are slowly coming back to the pack in the division too. 

this is exactly where i'm at with it as well.  the core should be in place this up coming season, but i'd be surprised if they were hardcore competitors when it comes to the playoffs.  they should be in the hunt, but i'm not expecting them.

if allen continues to improve, and this team can shake those runs of blowouts, i'll be happy next year.

The top 4 scoring teams in the NFL made the final four. The Bills have a long, long, long (did I say long) way to go to that level much less average. I think it is a 3-4 year build from the time they got Allen. More competitive soon but in the real hunt: NO

Edited by BubbaT

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

they really don't need to make the playoffs next year.  it will be disappointing if the bills win 7, but i'm willing to be the pegulas would be more than happy to give this staff another year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just add two new pieces to the line, add a WR, and draft an OLB and this team can easily win 10 games on a 3rd place schedule.  They don;t even need to use all the cap space to fill all the problems.  Bodine was just above awful and if he is the worst player on the line then that would be ok. Personally I would bring back Mills and sign veteran C and RG, draft an OT, and find a TE somewhere.  Then have to hope Teller and Dawkins get better

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Third place schedule impacts two games, that's it, you play 7/8ths the same schedule as the rest of you division. Plus teams going from third in a division to first each year is really common (except the AFC East...fml).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

they really don't need to make the playoffs next year.  it will be disappointing if the bills win 7, but i'm willing to be the pegulas would be more than happy to give this staff another year.  

Sadly I think you are correct. I would not agree with it but I think you are correct. McD talks his process crap and i'm sure the Pegulas eat it up.  Yet his process and Beane's moves made the roster worse, was wrong on every challenge in 2018, and had one of the worst penalized teams in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, HardyBoy said:

Third place schedule impacts two games, that's it, you play 7/8ths the same schedule as the rest of you division. Plus teams going from third in a division to first each year is really common (except the AFC East...fml).

Two games against AFC 3rd place finishers plus four more against Jets/Miami.  Add two more games against the 3rd and 4th place finisher of the NFC division they play next year and that is 8 games against bottom feeders.  The time to win is at hand.  

Its difficult to tell how far behind the top teams the Bills are.  No one on the team as an owner, GM, coach or Bills player has ever won a playoff game or won 10 games in a season.  Do you consider the Marvin Lewis Bengals  a success story? Would those results satisfy the OP's question?  

Today we saw a future hall of fame QB, Philip Rivers, who has had a great coach (Marty Shottenheimer) ,played with Hall of famers like LaDainian Tomlinson  and Antonio Gates who none the less never help established his team as consistently in the top tier of teams. 

Yesterday we MAY have seen the next great coach QB combo in the AFC with Reid/Mahomes. 

This season we saw  other young QBs in the AFC like Baker Mayfield, Andrew Luck, Deshaun Watson in the AFC.  Its entirely possible for Josh Allen to get to their level, and like Rivers, never had a team to push them past them. 

Bill Bellichek might stay with the Patriots the next 10 years. I think he will always be a better coach than McDermott.  

I think the easier question is how long until the Bills are respectable NFL team rather than a laughingstock? And we now know the answer, since Josh Allen returned from his injury. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sadly I think you are correct. I would not agree with it but I think you are correct. McD talks his process crap and i'm sure the Pegulas eat it up.  Yet his process and Beane's moves made the roster worse, was wrong on every challenge in 2018, and had one of the worst penalized teams in the NFL.  

beane's moves made the roster "worse" to improve this team and make them a regular playoff contender.  it starts with this off season.  the bills have just existed as average for too long.  a shake up was needed, and that's what we're getting.  i have no idea if it's going to work, but i'm excited about our qb and some of the young pieces in place.  i don't know why people are so flabbergasted by the way this year went.  it's all unfortunately part of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Not next year for sure but maybe in 2020.

If not next year, not happening with this regime. 

Second year with a hand chosen qb ridiculous cap space AND a high pick? I’m not saying the expectation is the Super Bowl but it shouldn’t end up seeming out of the realm of possibilities. You should be budgeting for playoff tickets at this crossroads 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A shake up was needed? 

Tell that to Seattle who mired in mediocrity until they struck gold with Russel Wilson.

The Bills didn't need to shake up anything. They just needed better coaching and a QB. 

really scott?  after 17 years of not making the playoffs, no shake up was needed?  and while you're at it, why don't you just act like getting a good coach and franchise qb is no biggie!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It shouldn't take 4 years to build a Super Bowl contender.

Its 2019. Not 1996. 

Well, it’s year TWO for our GM, the second draft and....the other teams are probably trying too. 

But I appreciate your consistency. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree. I and many fans won't be happy(while many will continue to make excuses for the regime if they have a 6 to 8 win season next year), but I agree they'll both be back in 2020 if they are a 6 to 8 win team next season.

it's a guess, but i'm assuming that's the case.  i could see a scenario where the bills win 8/9 game and miss the playoffs.  if that happens, but allen continues to improve, i'd want this staff back.

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

I'm not that impressed with most of the playoff teams I watched the past 2 weeks.  The games were mostly hard to watch.  Pats, Rams, Chiefs, and Saints are the best this year;  however,  Pats and Saints will be falling off soon once the QBs exit.  We're not that far from being competitive with the other 27 teams.  I see us getting there with 4 key players:  2 OL, 1 WR, and a pass rusher.  Also, the playoffs validate once again that QB is key, and we've got ours now.  I look forward to being regular participants in the January games into the 20s.  Go Bills!!  

Why does everyone feel the need to validate and verify this every 5 minute around here?

This is far from known, at least as of now.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

What do you mean by "shake up"? 

Anyone astute fan who watched the Bills under Rex Ryan could see the issue with the team was mostly due to him and his fat brother and up and down QB play. 

that wasn't going to be sustainable.  i know you don't agree, but this team was in a bad financial place.  the plan is to sustain long term success.  we'll draft and keep our own, while filling some gaps in fa.  they're trying to establish an environment where the team is bigger than the player, and that there's maximum effort at every level.  that's not what we had.  if some fans don't think this is the staff to accomplish that, i can understand.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Right.

Next year is year 3. They should be competitive for the playoffs next season.

I certainly hope so, but it’s year TWO with the GM. Year 3 for McD. I hope we have another draft like last year. I would not be shocked if we move around and add a pick or two for NEXT year. It will be almost a whole new cast of characters on offense, with a 2nd year QB. I just want to keep seeing progress. Build something for the long haul. 

Edited by Augie