How long to close the competitive gap?

Ga boy

I'm not that impressed with most of the playoff teams I watched the past 2 weeks.  The games were mostly hard to watch.  Pats, Rams, Chiefs, and Saints are the best this year;  however,  Pats and Saints will be falling off soon once the QBs exit.  We're not that far from being competitive with the other 27 teams.  I see us getting there with 4 key players:  2 OL, 1 WR, and a pass rusher.  Also, the playoffs validate once again that QB is key, and we've got ours now.  I look forward to being regular participants in the January games into the 20s.  Go Bills!!  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Very far.

McDermotts Offense points per game

2017 - 17.9

2018 - 16.8

Top Points per Game Teams

1. Falcons 2. Saints 3. Pats
SUPER BOWL
Pats v. Falcons

1. Rams 2. Pats 3. Eagles
SUPER BOWL
Pats v. Eagles

1. Chiefs 2. Rams 3. Saints 4. Pats
SUPER BOWL
Two of those four.

So if you mean to compete for wild cards/playoffs maybe not too far.  For the big prize?  Far.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Minimum of 2 years IMO..regardless of the cap space and draft picks we have, we still have so many holes to fill.  I think that the fans that are expecting 10-11 wins next year are going to be disappointed. 

I agree.  There is a huge talent gap between the Bills and even the 2nd tier play-off teams.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Minimum of 2 years IMO..regardless of the cap space and draft picks we have, we still have so many holes to fill.  I think that the fans that are expecting 10-11 wins next year are going to be disappointed. 

I tend to agree, but I read here that some people are giving them only one more year, and that’s it! 

(No details provided as to the what if......) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I agree with this as well. The FA class this year is meh and there's a few other teams with a lot of cap space. 2020 FA class looks much better as of now. I think we take a step forward next year, and really compete in 2020

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Not next year for sure but maybe in 2020.

I disagree. I think next year we can be legit competitors. Allen was 5-5 as a starter , 5-6 counting Hou but that could have easily been a W.

I just think we have legit young future pro bowlers , if Allen keeps progressing ,with that defense that should be even better , no reason we can't be competing next year

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Bills could be one of the top teams in the AFC next year.

We have never had an offseason like this, in terms of picks and FA money to spend.  Finally clearing out so much of the dead cap is huge.

Obviously, it depends what Beane does with it, but I have faith.  He was spot on with his judgment of Allen.  I think this is the offseason where we finally build the long-term winner we’ve all been waiting for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna take two years IMO to build a competitive enough offense. 

But it that being said this staff needs to get back in the playoffs to keep their jobs IMO 

I don't think they need to make the playoffs in 2019. I think they need to improve... 7 wins they probably stay, 8 or more and progress from Allen they definitely stay. 

2020 is the year when I think they HAVE to make the postseason again. By that point this will be their team lock, stock and barrell. 

EDIT: That said with the Dolphins apparently about to have a major reset to target a QB in 2020 and the way our schedule shapes up beyond that (playing the AFC North at a good time IMO and Denver and Tennessee as our 3rd place opponents plus the NFC East) I think the Bills could very well be in wildcard contention in 2019 and the Pats are slowly coming back to the pack in the division too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Barring no injuries, it is playoffs or bust for me.  Three years is more than enough time in today's NFL. They chose to go the rebuild route and they are the ones that created the dead cap space. Therefore they must produce in 2019.  Anything less than the playoffs and I fire both of them unless there are mitigating circumstances like crazy injuries or they win 10 games but still end up out of the playoffs on tiebreakers.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Barring no injuries, it is playoffs or bust for me.  Three years is more than enough time in today's NFL. They chose to go the rebuild route and they are the ones that created the dead cap space. Therefore they must produce in 2019.  Anything less than the playoffs and I fire both of them unless there are mitigating circumstances like crazy injuries or they win 10 games but still end up out of the playoffs on tiebreakers.  

You may well. Pegula won't and he makes the decisions. So long as their record is better than 2018 they will be back in 2020.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1