Andre Reed Criticizes Personnel Decisions

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

I would rather have Cordy Glenn than any offensive linemen that we have on our team.  The Bengals got a steal.  At the same time, we saw Dawkins abused in games . . . unlike we EVER saw with Cordy.

So yes, I would rather have Cordy.

As for weapons, we made NO attempt to bring back Goodwin or Woods (and this bit about Woods would never have signed with us is revisionist history).  At the same time, if we had chosen Mahomes with our own pick, we could have what we gave up to trade up for Josh to improve our offensive talent.

I have not even mentioned how the Bills braintrust thought it was a good idea to ask one of our few pro bowl guys to take a pay cut in the last year of his contract when we had the space and knew (or should have known) that protecting a young QB is instrumental in a young QBs success.

As for Whaley, I am not a huge fan as a GM for a variety of reasons (although not a bad evaluator of talent).  Nevertheless, talent costs money. We are going to learn that lesson again this year when we have to (over)pay for free agents.  By the way, some would say that this brain trust overpaid for Star and Trent Murphy. The only difference is that it was McBeane who got the check book out rather than Whaley.

I don’t know exactly where to start.

Cordy isn’t anything special he’s slightly better than Dawkins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/cordy-glenn/7045

Here Cordy is rated in the 60’s missed 3 games this year and cap hit 11 mil.

Here Dawkins is rated in the 30’s missed no games and His cap hit is 950k

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/dion-dawkins/11818

Goodwin was given every opportunity here, but he was solely focused on the Olympics why should a team commit on him if he is uncommitted to them?

Woods we should have kept, probably would have to if we could have afforded him, unfortunately the cap cellar Whaley placed us in was just to big of a hole to dig out and be able to field a team and pay woods what he was worth and looking for.

Mahomes is what he is after a year of bench setting behind Smith, tutelage from Reid, and all the skilled players he has. He wouldn’t have been the same here. We have no te, we, and to a large extent run game that have the capabilities of what Reid has in KC.

Once again we were in cap cellar did you see what we had to work with.

Talent does cost money, however paying extraordinary fees for Clay, Shady, Marcell is ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

"Doesn’t it seem like a lot of the #Bills released or traded players are in the PLAYOFFS ? ?????

#weneedtotakenotes #BillsMafia 
#nfl #playoffs #rethinkthings"

He said this on Twitter. Kind of surprising, the former Bills have been almost 100% super positive until the news about Reich was made public. 

Personally, we need at least a playoff appearance next year and honestly a win. Then I'll be 100% sold and would be ok with extending McDermott. 

I live under a rock. What's the news about Reich?

6 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

"Doesn’t it seem like a lot of the #Bills released or traded players are in the PLAYOFFS ? ?????

#weneedtotakenotes #BillsMafia 
#nfl #playoffs #rethinkthings"

He said this on Twitter. Kind of surprising, the former Bills have been almost 100% super positive until the news about Reich was made public. 

Personally, we need at least a playoff appearance next year and honestly a win. Then I'll be 100% sold and would be ok with extending McDermott. 

What news about Reich?

49 minutes ago, teef said:

I agree, but I was more referring to the nostalgia that surrounds that cast. I grew up with that team and loved every second of it. But when it comes to input with this current staff, the old guys need to let go. Even Bruce Smith was goongnon about not hiring Reich. Enough. They absolutely have the right to criticize the team, but be ready for some blow back. We all love them for what they’ve done, but now they’re fans like us. 

Fans like us, just with a bit more credibility:) but nonetheless thanks for clarifying

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Fans like us, just with a bit more credibility:) but nonetheless thanks for clarifying

please don't get me wrong.  i love the old regime, but when andre's comments come of as that of another upset fan, he puts himself out there with us commoners...internet anger and all.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Year 3, agreed, particularly since he made the playoffs last season.  Throw Beane in there too since Beane came in on McD's coattails. The drafts of his (Beane's) office have been dicey at best.  If not for happenstance positives (aka low percentage moves) like Wallace, Beane's moves have been unimpressive.  His biggest moves, trading for Benjamin, big contrat for average-at-best Lotulolei, have been swings-and-misses.  The Draft has been some of each with him having given up a lot to get Allen.  A pile of day-3 picks this season isn't the same as the draft opportunity we had last season.  

The sole exception will be if Allen makes enormous strides in his passing game next season to the extent that he becomes an above-average passer, that will likely stay criticism of McBeane even if they don't make the playoffs.  If Allen can't at least double his passing TD production while minimizing his INTs, while simultaneously making enormous leaps in Red Zone play, methinks that the natives will become restless and reasonably so.  

Supporting your statement, the schedule is favorable based upon this year's outcomes, so there shouldn't be a lot for them to hide behind there.  There isn't one team on the schedule besides the Pats that won more than 10 games and only two that won 10, Baltimore and Dallas.  

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

What is "turn it around?" You talking playoffs? Hell, even 9-7 and a wild card loss is fine. These are not unrealistic expectations in year 3. I've seen the teardown. I want to see some construction.

My bottom line is still in the hunt going into week 17.

Anything less and seats get extremely hot if in fact they have seats left at all.

Edited by reddogblitz

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Who is he even talking about?  Sammy?  Dude missed 1-2 the season and they had the best record in the AFC.  Shows how great HE is.  Nice fumble resterday . Darby? No, he’s hurt.  Dareus?  No, his defense got worse with him.  

Yet somehow the coaches that can get their teams to the playoffs seem to think they're good enough to have on their team(s).

Sammy also had a bunch of nice catches.  6 catches for 62 yards on 8 targets in a playoff game  ain't too shabby. 10 less yards than Tyreek Hill on 5 less targets.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

In hindsight, our handling of the WR certainly was ass-backward.  Having Woods on our team now would certainly bolster our WR corp and would've been a bargain relative to what we paid for the production we got from his replacement(s).  I never could understand how we let Robey-Coleman get away.

It has been said he wanted to play out west where he played in college, that was the rumor when he hit the free agent market.

It's a fair assessment.  Hogan, Ragland, Woods, Watkins, Peters, Bradham… Then there's coaching talent like Reich, Schwartz and Lynn that also managed to get away and do better for themselves...  At this rate, Josh Allen will be backing up Dak Prescott for the cowboys next super bowl run.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GreggTX said:

They can't afford to hit the snooze button and just leave Allen unchallenged for the starting job after next year or we'll end up like the Dolphins with Tannehill -- maybe in the playoffs once in a while, but not really a threat.

So, the plan is to not give the developing, top ten pick QB all of the first team reps throughout training camp and preseason so he can form bonds and timing patterns with all the new offensive weapons we're hopefully bringing in?  Instead we're going to waste starting reps and potentially a draft pick on another QB?  Do you honestly think any other QB on the roster, or any other QB we would draft in a reasonable round could dethrone Allen as the starter?  If they don't, all you've done is take away development from him.

...of course this is the point where you insist even a seventh round QB could take the starting job from Allen, and I roll my eyes and rightfully discard everything you've said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yet somehow the coaches that can get their teams to the playoffs seem to think they're good enough to have on their team(s).

Sammy also had a bunch of nice catches.  6 catches for 62 yards on 8 targets in a playoff game  ain't too shabby. 10 less yards than Tyreek Hill on 5 less targets.

Playoff teams make mistakes too.    

He’s a good player, but it’s their mistake imo..  If they win the super bowl, it will be money well spent.  If they don’t win the title, the money would’ve been better spent on defense.  They need it.  Time will tell.