Andre Reed Criticizes Personnel Decisions

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Since when does appreciating the past equate to “living” in it? Sure I’d love to have my teen years back from the 90’s too, but I’m doing just fine in my 40’s now, thank you very much. Tradition, appreciation and expecting a certain level of competency based on previously hit high water marks? What’s wrong with that? 

Well, as the analytics kiddies are fond of reminding us all, it's a DIFFERENT ERA.

The relevance to today is nil, at best. Most of these players weren't alive when Andre Reed played the game.

And you're fooling yourself if you don't think posters here value Andre Reed's opinion over the front office's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What was the end game of him putting the current FO on blast publically? Probably to rile up the fans or whatever, and he succeeded. But the current ownership and FO have no ties to the 90s Bills. So it’s like yelling in a closet where no one can hear you. They don’t care.  If he has something to say he should say it to them straight. But he won’t. 

McD has gone out of his way several times to include 90’s alums in practice speeches, has had dinners with them to pick their brains, and all around has praised them umpteen times for what they’ve done for the Bills. That’s been reciprocated by many of the albums as well about the current coaching staff. What’s the problem here exactly? 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

had kelly stuffed his ego in a bag and fed thruman in the first super bowl, they'd have ROUTED the Giants.

I have no doubt about that.

I blame Marv for all the Bills SB losses. That stupid statement he made about execution trumps out thinking, and I'm paraphrasing, lost me.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, as the analytics kiddies are fond of reminding us all, it's a DIFFERENT ERA.

The relevance to today is nil, at best. Most of these players weren't alive when Andre Reed played the game.

And you're fooling yourself if you don't think posters here value Andre Reed's opinion over the front office's.

Sure it’s a different era. But his takes are informed by an actual knowledge base that most posters here would lack. I’d like to think however, that most people who appreciate our alums are also sophisticated enough to understand the difference between a current FO employee and someone just offering up an opinion, even if that someone happens to be an NFL vet. I don’t read anything more into Reed’s take than that he has a certain level of frustration and he happened to air it publicly this time. He’s human like anyone else who maybe should’ve taken a breath before pressing “send.” No need to bash him for it personally however. He’s earned at least that much respect from all of us here, no?

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sure it’s a different era. But his takes are informed by an actual knowledge base that most posters here would lack. I’d like to think however, that most people who appreciate our alums are also sophisticated enough to understand the difference between a current FO employee and someone just offering up an opinion, even if that someone happens to be an NFL vet. I don’t read anything more into Reed’s take than that he has a certain level of frustration and he happened to air it publicly this time. He’s human like anyone else who maybe should’ve taken a breath before pressing “send.” No need to bash him for it personally however. He’s earned at least that much respect from all of us here, no?

I'll admit to some personal bias against Reed. I've met him and his family, and came away unimpressed with both. I hold guys like Bennett and Thurman in a much higher regard.

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

had kelly stuffed his ego in a bag and fed thruman in the first super bowl, they'd have ROUTED the Giants.

I have no doubt about that.

I do. You don’t think young Hoodie would’ve been able to adjust his D accordingly?

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll admit to some personal bias against Reed. I've met him and his family, and came away unimpressed with both. I hold guys like Bennett and Thurman in a much higher regard.

Thanks for the admission. I’ve never met him or his family, so you have me at a disadvantage sir! And then you can safely leave Jim out of this discussion, right? ?

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

McD has gone out of his way several times to include 90’s alums in practice speeches, has had dinners with them to pick their brains, and all around has praised them umpteen times for what they’ve done for the Bills. That’s been reciprocated by many of the albums as well about the current coaching staff. What’s the problem here exactly? 

Problem with what - his tweet? Imo it was tacky. If he said it to them straight in the venue you mentioned where he’s privately discussing the team with him, that’s appropriate and perhaps even effective. Subtweeting the organization on twitter is not. It lacked class imo. Because all it does is splash it all over social media for the fans to react to and accomplishes nothing. 

Subtweeting is for cowards, jmo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Problem with what - his tweet? Imo it was tacky. If he said it to them straight in the venue you mentioned where he’s privately discussing the team with him, that’s appropriate and perhaps even effective. Subtweeting the organization on twitter is not. It lacked class imo. Because all it does is splash it all over social media for the fans to react to and accomplishes nothing. 

Subtweeting is for cowards, jmo. 

Is subtweeting under your real name more or less cowardly than posting anonymously in a fan forum to complain about cowards? 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I presume he is referring to Mahomes.  I would probably disagree as to whether Mahomes is the best player in the NFL, but he certainly is the best young QB in the NFL and McCoach handed him to the Chiefs.  We could have picked him with our own pick without having to give up so much to trade up to select Josh.

P.S. I am still hopeful that Josh will continue to progress, but we clearly gave up a premium for Josh when we could have picked Mahomes without giving up anything extra.

Mahomes also has a master offensive guru, the fastest we in the game, and a te who is open even when he is not. NFL is a team game, while Mahomes is looking good there is zero assurance that he would have been here, in addition to that we were still in the midst of establishing the coaches and other positions. It simply wasn’t our time, if that is too hard to understand or if you are unwilling to understand it then a message board isn’t for you.

17 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Mahomes also has a master offensive guru, the fastest we in the game, and a te who is open even when he is not. NFL is a team game, while Mahomes is looking good there is zero assurance that he would have been here, in addition to that we were still in the midst of establishing the coaches and other positions. It simply wasn’t our time, if that is too hard to understand or if you are unwilling to understand it then a message board isn’t for you.

In other words, when a QB was available in '17 (actually 2), McCoach decided a CB and the 91st pick was the best decision.  And, they could get the QB later. 

Deferring on QB has plagued this organization going back years.  It leads to being backed into a corner and taking a QB out of desperation (See 2013, 2018 drafts).  

As in, after 2012 when Fitz was DFA'd and in 2017 when TT proved he wasn't starting material.  

Year after year I'm amazed at the verbal gymnastics some fans will exhibit to defend their team against accusations of ineptitude. 

Buffalo essentially gave up on the 2018 season to enjoy cap flexibility in the future.  Pretty gutsy strategy when some teams are firing HC's after 2 or even 1 season.  

Trust the process, right? :lol:

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao.

"It wasn't our time." 

Why must we make excuses for the regime?

I like Allen, but you'd be an idiot not to exchange Allen for Mahomes at this point. 

Just call it like it is. These guys chose the more difficult path to success in their choice of rebuild. 

Many here have given them credit for tearing everything down, I'll wait until they actually build it back up and they start winning. 

At this point (key word),  it back then. As I recall multiple teams past on the opportunity of Mahomes. He and you are hindsighting like it’s cool. They chose what they chose. As did 31 other teams, that didn’t draft Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

In other words, when a QB was available in '17 (actually 2), McCoach decided a CB and the 91st pick was the best decision.  And, they could get the QB later. 

Deferring on QB has plagued this organization going back years.  It leads to being backed into a corner and taking a QB out of desperation (See 2013, 2018 drafts).  

As in, after 2012 when Fitz was DFA'd and in 2017 when TT proved he wasn't starting material.  

Year after year I'm amazed at the verbal gymnastics some fans will exhibit to defend their team against accusations of ineptitude. 

Buffalo essentially gave up on the 2018 season to enjoy cap flexibility in the future.  Pretty gutsy strategy when some teams are firing HC's after 2 or even 1 season.  

Trust the process, right? :lol:

So you are attributing the failed quarterbacks of yesteryear to Sean and Beane? Interesting and original concept.