The Offseason I Want to See

H2o

33 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

What are they giving up for him?

Wouldn't be surprised if a team in their SB window is prepared to give up a late first so are they beating that?

The Steelers might just want to stick it to Brown and send him to a team that they feel has no chance to win, rather than to a team that they feel is a contender. As for the cost, Beane would probably work out a trade like this years 2nd rd pick plus a conditional 2020 pick (for instance, a 2nd round pick if they do make the playoffs or a 3rd round pick if they don't). I just think that something big like this will happen, especially seeing the pounding the Pats gave the Chargers today. Beane and McDermott are probably thinking they need a game changing move if they have any thoughts of taking over the division.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 1billsfan said:

The Steelers might just want to stick it to Brown and send him to a team that they feel has no chance to win, rather than to a team that they feel is a contender. As for the cost, Beane would probably work out a trade like this years 2nd rd pick plus a conditional 2020 pick (for instance, a 2nd round pick if they do make the playoffs or a 3rd round pick if they don't). I just think that something big like this will happen, especially seeing the pounding the Pats gave the Chargers today. Beane and McDermott are probably thinking they need a game changing move if they have any thoughts of taking over the division.

Ok .. time will tell...

I see them getting a first from someone and it wont be the Bills.. the Steelers will have $21M in dead money to make good so they will be selling to the highest bidder...

Maybe our mate Bill from New England might be interested?

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Latest twitter rumor is a 2nd for AB. That allows my wish list of trading our #1 for V. Miller..

Hughes on one side and Miller on the other would be a nightmare for opposing QB's. 

A couple points that probably don't really matter all that much right now/given our cap situation:

1. I think Adam Humphries gets at least $8 mil per year and maybe $10+ million.

2. I wouldn't be interested in paying Phillips that much after such a small sample size of solid play with a frustrating lack of discipline. I don't think he'll command that much either to make that sort of contract necessary either, but we'll see.

3. I think Butler slides to Day 3 of the draft but we'll see. Combine will be a big deal for him; I think it can either push him up into the 1st round conversation or solidify him as a Day 3 pick. Also not sure he fits the prototype of what Daboll is looking for but we'll see. Certainly an intriguing prospect.

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

A couple points that probably don't really matter all that much right now/given our cap situation:

1. I think Adam Humphries gets at least $8 mil per year and maybe $10+ million.

2. I wouldn't be interested in paying Phillips that much after such a small sample size of solid play with a frustrating lack of discipline. I don't think he'll command that much either to make that sort of contract necessary either, but we'll see.

3. I think Butler slides to Day 3 of the draft but we'll see. Combine will be a big deal for him; I think it can either push him up into the 1st round conversation or solidify him as a Day 3 pick. Also not sure he fits the prototype of what Daboll is looking for but we'll see. Certainly an intriguing prospect.

You may be right on the first two. The reason I said 6-8 million a year for Phillips (meaning we could re-sign him for aroun 6 mill per) is because Star just got 10 mill per. If Star is getting 10 mill per then I see it taking numbers in that ballpark for us to bring him back. If we don't then I think another team will offer him that. If we can bring him back for less that would be fantastic. I can see Humphries possibly getting more as well, but I think a Robert Woods type of contract gets it done which is why I said 6-8 mill per. About Butler? I don't see any way in Hades he's a 3rd day pick. A guy with his talent, his size, his ability to make the tough catches, and take the top off of a defense will be a 2nd at worst. I have us trading back into the 1st because I could see any of a number of teams taking him before we get our 2nd Round pick. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I think we all know this team needs work. Some new pieces in key positions, especially on offense, are needed if we want Josh to grow. I was impressed by the way he played this year especially with the lack of quality players around him. We have a solid young core to build around and this is what I would like to see us do.

I don't expect the Bills to be crazy spenders in FA, but rather I expect us to be smart and spend a decent amount wisely:

In house re-sign Jordan Phillips to a 3 or 4 year deal @ 6-8 mill per season with 15-18 mill guaranteed. He played well for us along the line and he would basically be taking up the money left open by the retirement of Kyle.  This also keeps the interior DL basically intact. Re-sign Jordan Mills as depth. Mills is a borderline average/below average starter in this league, but would make for decent depth. I wouldn't give him more than 4 mill per though. Bring Lorax back on a 2 year deal with the only guarantees being in the first year of the deal in case age finally catches up with him. Something in the 4-6 mill per year range should get this done. Groy is another guy I might re-sign for depth purposes as he can fill in at all 3 interior spots on the line. If he is looking for more $$$ than he was previously making then pass. Tender Yarbrough because he has been serviceable as well. 

In the street FA market this is what I would like to see. Bring in Ju'Wuan James to play RT. This would be the biggest name I expect us to sign as he will command solid $$$ on the open market @ 8-10 mill per. James is a definite upgrade on Mills, is young, and would keep us from having to spend a 1st on an OT. Also along the OL sign Jon Halapio to play Center. He was injured this year, but is another upgrade at an important position along the OL. I think 4-6 mill a year gets a deal done and we continue to solidify the pieces in front of Allen. Bring in TJ Yeldon as the primary backup RB and release Ivory. Yeldon is solid, but not great at anything and I think he would fit our scheme better than the bruiser Ivory. The TE I want in FA is Maxx Williams. He was a talented prospect coming out of Minnesota and I feel he has been underutilized in Baltimore. Mid-level TE money and the opportunity to start in Buffalo would be able to get this deal done imo. The WR group is rather weak, but I would go out and get Adam Humphries. I think 6-8 mill per would get the deal done. He's a solid player and would serve Josh Allen well out of the slot because he can separate quickly off of the LOS. At 26 he's also a solid bet to continue to improve as he has every year already. The last thing I would want to see in FA is a depth signing @ LB. Maybe a guy like Eli Harold who is decent and wouldn't be expensive. 

Coming off of what I would see as a great FA period for us this is the draft I would want to see:

1a. (#15) Cody Ford / OL / Oklahoma - Yes, after a trade back with the Redskins who want to move up for a QB we take Ford to play LG. A reach? It may be called that by some.  But if the guy turns into a top tier OL'man like I expect him to then the chatter about where he was drafted will be nothing more than that. This continues to solidify the OL in front of Allen. We get Washington's #46 and #143 out of the deal. 

1b. (#26) Hakeem Butler / WR / Iowa St. - We trade back into the late 1st Round to grab a guy with potential to be a game changer @ WR. Butler reminds me a lot of AJ Green. A 6'6", 225lb WR who consistently beats coverage and makes big plays downfield. In the trade we give up #40 and #106. 

2. (#46 from Washington) Vosean Joseph / LB / Florida - Alexander isn't getting any younger and Joseph would be the heir apparent. He is a physical player even is he may be considered a bit light at 230lbs. He diagnoses plays well and looks to punish ball carriers on every play. He also has the speed to be effective over the middle of the field in coverage. This pick further solidifies an already up-and-coming LB group. 

3a. (#75) Gerarld Willis III / DT / Miami - A consistent performer on the DL at the U. He's a DL'man who can get after it from the interior and also holds up at the point of attack against the run. 

3b. (#97 via KC) Joejuan Williams / CB / Vanderbilt - A 6'3", 205lb CB who showed well against some of the best WR prospects in the SEC. He has the size and speed to cover any WR to go along with good technique that allows him to get his hands on a lot of passes. This costs us #127 and #137 to move back into the 3rd. 

5a. (#143 via Washington) Kaleb McGary / OT/ Washington - McGary is a depth player who could possibly develop into more. He's a better run than pass blocker, but serves the purpose of continuing to bolster a weakness here. He can be a backup at OT and OG. 

5b. (#148 from the McCarron trade) Zach Gentry / TE / Michigan - As I have discussed before, I see him as an upgraded version of Scott Chandler. I also expect him to hang around until the 4th or 5th due to teams taking the bait on "more athletic" guys. 

6. (#168) Tyler Newsome / P / Notre Dame - It's no secret we need a solid punter and this guy is one of the best in this draft. He averaged 44.7 per kick with 19 pinning the opposition inside the 20. He can also boom them out there. His long this year was 63 yards. 

7. (#203) Sean Krepsz / G-C/ Nevada - Another depth pick for the OL that closes out the draft for us.

All in all this is an offseason I feel would propel us into contention for years to come. I'm sure there are things other people would rather address than what I did here. You can't fix everything at once, but this is the start I would like to see. 

Nice work. Thanks for taking the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Any mock that includes a trade back this year with no high end QBs can be thrown out 

In January many don't see high end QBs (pre combine .. pre Sr. Bowl) .. come draft week ...  some miraculously become Franchise QBs and teams desperately trade up.   Hope the same happens this year.